Legal challenge to alumni priority policy

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Legal challenge to alumni priority policy

Postby 3Boys » Thu May 30, 2013 1:57 pm

I kinda sick of the ding-dong every May-June on this issue, and meanwhile the Phase 2A statistic for popular schools gets worse and worse and the MOE just twiddle their thumbs.

Anyone here who is legally trained know if this policy can be challenged on the grounds of discrimination?

Anyone here interested in joining up to explore the possibility of taking this to the courts?

My kids are said and done for, no change in policy will affect me the slightest, I'm just fed up with special interest groups clinging on to privileges and MOE sitting on their hands.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Legal challenge to alumni priority policy

Postby limlim » Thu May 30, 2013 3:36 pm

Tried this before? Maybe need more pple to write in.

https://www.reach.gov.sg/feedback.aspx

I did write in on other issues before and they do reply (although takes quite a while, like few weeks)

By the way, was this issue bought up during the "Singapore conversation" or something like that?

Curious what the leaders gonna say about it.. and how they are going to justify it.

If they can remove the pension scheme, should not be difficult to tackle this if they really want to.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirated » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:38 am

3Boys wrote:I kinda sick of the ding-dong every May-June on this issue, and meanwhile the Phase 2A statistic for popular schools gets worse and worse and the MOE just twiddle their thumbs.

Anyone here who is legally trained know if this policy can be challenged on the grounds of discrimination?

Anyone here interested in joining up to explore the possibility of taking this to the courts?

My kids are said and done for, no change in policy will affect me the slightest, I'm just fed up with special interest groups clinging on to privileges and MOE sitting on their hands.

since you are so sick of it, just shut yourself out from it

why are you discriminating against the alumni ?

why do you begrudge the money and time they spent building up the schools ?

I bet my bottom dollars your 3 kids are not from the popular school, that is why you can say you are done with it and it does not concern you, sounding so righteous....but if your kids are from the popular schools and your grandkids are in line for priority, you will be keeping quiet about it, singing praises of the contributions made by the alumni.

Don't be too eager and too early to say you won't. Touch your heart, when the competition is due, your perspective will be different

When that time comes, we are likely not here anymore to see and hear your change in position

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Strparent » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:51 am

Ouchh !!

seems like a bait to me. ( borders on sounding like a personal attack wor )

in any case, think Pirated is barking up the wrong tree. We all know where 3Boys stand and I totally agree with 3Boys on this alumni issue. IT is extremely illogical - in my view, distance should be the main priority )

btw, my kids are also over with this...... and they are alumni from a 'reputable' sch. But I still agree with 3Boys on this issue and I still think this privilege is not fair at all.

I would have absolutely no qualms if this 'privilege' is removed or downgraded to behind the distance priority.

limlim wrote:If they can remove the pension scheme, should not be difficult to tackle this if they really want to.

:evil: :rotflmao:

Strparent
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby limlim » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:31 pm

pirate's nick kena pirated.. what more to say..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirated » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:57 pm

Strparent wrote:Ouchh !!

seems like a bait to me. ( borders on sounding like a personal attack wor )

in any case, think Pirated is barking up the wrong tree. We all know where 3Boys stand and I totally agree with 3Boys on this alumni issue. IT is extremely illogical - in my view, distance should be the main priority )

btw, my kids are also over with this...... and they are alumni from a 'reputable' sch. But I still agree with 3Boys on this issue and I still think this privilege is not fair at all.

I would have absolutely no qualms if this 'privilege' is removed or downgraded to behind the distance priority.

limlim wrote:If they can remove the pension scheme, should not be difficult to tackle this if they really want to.

:evil: :rotflmao:

So you think your agreement means a legal challenge is going to take place and succeed ? LOL one more does NOT mean a majority

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:15 pm

pirated wrote:
3Boys wrote:I kinda sick of the ding-dong every May-June on this issue, and meanwhile the Phase 2A statistic for popular schools gets worse and worse and the MOE just twiddle their thumbs.

since you are so sick of it, just shut yourself out from it

why are you discriminating against the alumni ?

why do you begrudge the money and time they spent building up the schools ?

I bet my bottom dollars your 3 kids are not from the popular school, that is why you can say you are done with it and it does not concern you, sounding so righteous....but if your kids are from the popular schools and your grandkids are in line for priority, you will be keeping quiet about it, singing praises of the contributions made by the alumni.

Don't be too eager and too early to say you won't. Touch your heart, when the competition is due, your perspective will be different

When that time comes, we are likely not here anymore to see and hear your change in position

Touched a raw nerve, did I?

Well, what school my kids are in is no secret. Some think it's a nice school to be in, some think it's not high class enough. :shrug: In 2012, only about 20% of places were left after 2A, so I guess quite a popular school huh?

I think it's an ok school, they get a good schooling, with not too much pressure. It'd be nice if the could secure a place for their kids in the future in this school (my MIL said so), but it would be wrong to base it on alumni priority.

I guess what you are advocating is one should just support what whichever policy serves one's self interest best.

The rich should support policies that lower taxes on the wealthy, to the detriment of the poor.

Those who own lots of property should support policies that keep raising the prices of property, to the detriment of those who are just starting out in housing.

Those with alumni priority for their kids should keep supporting those policies, to the exclusion of their fellow Singaporeans.

I have no time for that type of view, if that's where you are coming from.

If I said I support higher income-taxes, (which I do), would you then say it's because I am a pauper looking for hand-outs?

If I said we should clamp down on property prices (which I do), would you say its because I am not a property owner?

Self-righteous ar? I guess if that's anti-Self-Interest, I'm ok with being called that.

I suppose you see nothing wrong with this picture?

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/content/bukit-timah

If a policy is dumb, it's dumb.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dreamgear » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:37 pm

So which school did your kids attended? Via alumni route or just like normal people?

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:41 pm

Dreamgear wrote:So which school did your kids attended? Via alumni route or just like normal people?

My primary school no longer exists. I got my kids into school via PV, another system I dislike immensely and feel should be dismantled. But it is a lesser issue than 2a.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dreamgear » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:47 am

3Boys wrote:
Dreamgear wrote:So which school did your kids attended? Via alumni route or just like normal people?

My primary school no longer exists. I got my kids into school via PV, another system I dislike immensely and feel should be dismantled. But it is a lesser issue than 2a.

Fair enough. There is a 3rd system which i am also against : grassroot leaders and groups associations.

However i dont think things are going to drastically overnight. A lot of the current MPs also have a stake in this.

Maybe a revamp system where each cat are restricted to a certain percentage. Example alumni cannot be more than 20%, no more pv and clan or associations adventage. Grassroots portion will be difficult to take awar....

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time