Re: Legal challenge to alumni priority policy

Postby chenwj » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:07 pm

U can look for this famous lawyer M Ravi :evil: :wink:

chenwj
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby GLORYmum » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:12 pm

limlim wrote:pirate's nick kena pirated.. what more to say..

:rotflmao:

GLORYmum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby GLORYmum » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:12 pm

chenwj wrote:U can look for this famous lawyer M Ravi :evil: :wink:

Er... Aiyo this is even funnier. :rotflmao:

GLORYmum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby GLORYmum » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:18 pm

Oops sorry I am in the wrong thread, read it from the last page and realized that the thread is for legal challenge against alumni priority.

Maybe most of the legal professionals are beneficiaries of the alumni priority system?

GLORYmum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby GLORYmum » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:49 pm

3Boys wrote:
Dreamgear wrote:So which school did your kids attended? Via alumni route or just like normal people?

My primary school no longer exists. I got my kids into school via PV, another system I dislike immensely and feel should be dismantled. But it is a lesser issue than 2a.

Out of curiosity, if your primary school exists, would you enrol your boys via alumni priority? :sweat:

GLORYmum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:19 am

GLORYmum wrote:
3Boys wrote:
Dreamgear wrote:So which school did your kids attended? Via alumni route or just like normal people?

My primary school no longer exists. I got my kids into school via PV, another system I dislike immensely and feel should be dismantled. But it is a lesser issue than 2a.

Out of curiosity, if your primary school exists, would you enrol your boys via alumni priority? :sweat:

Sort of a moot point. It's never been an option so I have never thought about it.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:23 am

chenwj wrote:U can look for this famous lawyer M Ravi :evil: :wink:

How about this chap, I heard he's quite popular.....

:evil:

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:25 am

GLORYmum wrote:Out of curiosity, if your primary school exists, would you enrol your boys via alumni priority? :sweat:

I know this is directed at 3Boys, but if I have a boy (that one still work in progress, ok? :smile: ), I would. Why? Because the current system gives me hardly any viable alternative since the comparable one within 1 km of where I live is highly competitive at P2B and P2C (and the kid would still suffer a disadvantage getting into secondary school because of affiliation). So, yeah, even if I have to hire a chauffeur to ferry the kid all the way to Bishan, I still would. No prizes for guessing which boys' school I am an alumni of.

No. I don't believe the spiel that all schools are good schools. And certainly not all schools have affiliated secondary schools with IP programmes.

The system we have is broken. There is much room for improvement. Unfortunately, the majority of families do not have the means to get around the problems arising from it. And this is why I am offended by elitist people spouting 'atasness'. (I don't mean you. I am referring to a certain blogger.)

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby GLORYmum » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:44 am

Pirate, thanks for sharing your view and I agree with you.

If given a choice, we strive to go for the best and safest. If I live above rulang and knowing that my chances of being balloted out in phase 2c is highly possible, wouldn't I register my dc in my alma mater provided my alma mater exists :smile: .

A system can't cater to every single need and it is 'strange' ( i would refrain from using 'ridiculous' ) to want to revamp a system that provides for the majority.

Why call for revamp nationwide when the problem of extremely high take up rate occurs only in specific top schools where non-alumni aka outsiders have practically no chance to enrol?

GLORYmum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:33 am

GLORYmum wrote:Pirate, thanks for sharing your view and I agree with you.

If given a choice, we strive to go for the best and safest. If I live above rulang and knowing that my chances of being balloted out in phase 2c is highly possible, wouldn't I register my dc in my alma mater provided my alma mater exists :smile: .

A system can't cater to every single need and it is 'strange' ( i would refrain from using 'ridiculous' ) to want to revamp a system that provides for the majority.

Why call for revamp nationwide when the problem of extremely high take up rate occurs only in specific top schools where non-alumni aka outsiders have practically no chance to enrol?

Because

1) The current policy is based on faulty premises

2) One needs a consistent set of rules across all schools in this regard

3) The policy tweak, which will have impact on the popular schools primarily, will have little to no impact on schools for which Phase 2A is not a problem. If indeed Phase 2A is a problem for some of those schools, then the policy fix is indeed relevant and necessary. Do you see the circularity of your argument on this point?

You say the system provides for the majority.

It does no such thing.

For schools that are not so popular, it matters not if one is an alumni, because even if you were, you could apply under Phase 3 and still get in. I.e., for the majority of schools, it provides no priority whatsoever, except a theoretical one.

Where the theoretical problem becomes a real problem, and who knows which schools in future will face this, then the policy tweak will become relevant.

Which is why if we fix this, we ought to fix it across the board. For the schools where you say there is no issue, then there is no impact.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Recess Time

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres