Where do you do your REGULAR groceries shopping?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

HDB provision shop/minimart
No votes
Shop and Save
Cold Storage
Petrol Kiosk stores/ 7-11
Others, please specify
Sheng Siong
Total votes : 63

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:47 pm

I had an urgent need for a common brand shampoo and went to a HDB minimart/provision shop to buy it. I was surprised to find only 2 brands of shampoo on the shelf. The shopkeeper lamented that these days it is hard to stock brands and most of the time people's choices are so varied. Also, people don't seem to buy shampoo from minimart anymore. Business seems hard for him.

So I am curious to know the readers here, what is your groceries shopping pattern?

Personally I shop at NTUC first, because it is a one-stop shop for me, next is Cold Storage to get items that NTUC does not carry. For urgent needs, I buy at petrol kiosks, 7/11 or HDB grocery stores if I come across one.

Postby tankee » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:51 pm

mostly done at NTUC

sometimes at Giant, Cold Storage, Econ-Minimart, Cheers & 7-11

once in a while at the others

Site Admin

Postby i3mum » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:56 pm

Can try Carrefour? There are some ranges of stuff there. And if you have POSB credit card, you can get 5% rebate. And also, if you spend $150 & above, they offer free delivery.

Postby schellen » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:15 pm

I go to NTUC first since I have the Passion card, might as well use it for rebates. Also, NTUC is more accessible when I exit the MRT station. However, this branch I frequent is very small so if they don't have what I need (excluding house brands), I'll go to Shop n Save which is at B1 of the shopping mall next to the MRT station.

Sometimes, I prefer to buy from the provision shop downstairs. I think it's because the blocks in my area have to walk about 15 minutes to a supermarket or take a feeder bus, this shop is more well-stocked than your regular provision shop. I prefer to get stuff I need in small quantities there like onions, garlic and eggs since supermarkets tend to not sell these in small quantities. For things like laundry detergent and floor-cleaning liquids, I also prefer to buy from the provision shop because they are heavy and bulky. I only need to haul them across a short distance on foot instead of dragging them home via the feeder bus.

I don't go to hypermarkets since there are none easily accessible from my home via public transport. Only if we happen to be near one with my parents or PILs, we may take the opportunity to shop for our groceries at Carrefour or Giant since they drive.

Postby GreenQ » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:20 pm

Mostly done at NTUC too.

Sometimes at Ang Mo supermarket (quite cheap for some items there), shop n save, Giant, Cold Storage and then minimart downstairs for urgent need.

Postby Funz » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:25 pm

NTUC for most stuff.

Cold Storage for ham & sausages & some angmoh herbs if needed

Wet market for fresh fishball and fishcake

Postby tamarind » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:52 pm

I buy 100% from NTUC. Even bought my LCD TV from NTUC hypermarkt. I have the Fairprice Plus card and I have earned a lot of vouchers.

I buy calendula cream (for my boy's eczema), vitamins, GNC products from overseas websites like

It is much cheaper even when we include the shipping charges.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:06 pm

Wah...so far the Netizen's choice is quite clear, NTUC is the winner. I think the loyalty card, vouchers and product exchange programme helps alot... no wonder the poor provision shop is suffering... I cannot forget his facial expression I saw this morning.

Cheaper to buy from overseas website?

Postby csb » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:08 pm

Hi, sorry to sidetrack, but I always wonder how overseas purchases can be cheaper? Do you buy in bulk? I always find that savings from lower prices are wiped out by high shipping charges. Also, don't you need to pay for GST? Thank you.

Postby mathsparks » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:13 pm

Definitely NTUC for me. The huge variety, housebrands of reasonable quality, frequent promotion and prices keep me going back. Occasionally shop at Giant (avoid their housebrands though), Cold Storage or petrol kiosks (again Esso-fairprice) for bread/milk/fruits.

Return to Recess Time