Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

Postby raysusan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:48 am

Image

http://www.tremeritus.com/2013/06/01/de ... -sue-ttsh/

RIP........

Yong Han, the only child in the family, fell ill on Wed (22 May) with a high fever. He then went to TTSH’s emergency department the next day (23 May, Thu) and was diagnosed with viral fever. However, he was given Panadol tablets and sent home. He was told to see a doctor in three days’ time, or to return if his condition worsened.

However his condition did not improve and went back again in the wee hours of Fri (24 May). The mother, Mdm Yap, told the media that after waiting for five hours, he left to go to a general practitioner near his home.

But TTSH said he arrived at 3am and was seen by a nurse within five minutes but didn’t get to see a doctor after waiting for more than two hours. The hospital said he approached a nurse at 5.18am to cancel his registration, and left.

Around Sat midnight (25 May) and in the early hours of Sun (26 May), Yong Han came back to TTSH with fever, body aches and vomiting and was finally admitted to TTSH. He was later transferred to the Communicable Diseases Centre (CDC).

He died three days later (29 May, Wed) of dengue shock syndrome.

When the family asked whether Yong Han could have been saved if he had been admitted to hospital earlier, Associate Professor Lim Poh Lian, head of infectious diseases at TTSH, said that his condition deteriorated on Mon, and it would not have made any difference if he had been admitted to the hospital a day or two earlier.

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1417
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:13 pm
Total Likes: 6


Re: Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

Postby Jennifer » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:11 am

The GP who attended to the boy should be held accountable.

My FIL had a sore throat since early May, but chose not to tell us. A week after Mothers' Day lunch, he had fever and went to see the family GP who prescribed him 5 to 6 types of medication. The fever did not subside but shot up on Sunday afternoon. We took him to a 24 hours GP who advised us to send him to hospital for further check.

The A&E at Alexandra Hospital runs a thorough check and FIL had to stay for 2 days under observation.

Luckily it was not dengue related.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 23241
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 106


Re: Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

Postby longmao.irene » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:31 am

No i feel d hospital is liable!

longmao.irene
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:57 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

Postby ngl2010 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:42 am

The waiting time at public hospital is very long that we really need determination and perseverance to see a doctor at A&E and get admitted. We waited 12 hours last year at SGH to get my mil get admitted. 12 hours from the time we arrived at A&E until she was put on the bed at the ward. If it was a common illness such as fever, etc, I think we would have given up waiting too.

I had dengue 2 years ago and went to SGH. I was told to go back and have my blood tested everyday at GP. Only when it drop to a certain level then the hospital will admit me. Luckily it never went down to a dangerous level but those days we worried everyday because the blood test result will only available the next day. That means, there is a day delay so the platelet count may drop down further by the time we know the blood test result.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6033
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 pm
Total Likes: 68


Re: Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

Postby cherrygal » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:03 am

If your neighbourhood is a dengue cluster and you get viral fever symptoms, just request for a dengue blood test from the GP. Be more kiasu and kiasi.

Don't go to the A&E where possible. They make people who are not truly emergency cases wait many many hours. Go to 24-hr clinics instead.

http://www.doctors.com.sg/24-hour-clinics.html
Last edited by cherrygal on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2886
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:01 am
Total Likes: 13



Re: Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

Postby longmao.irene » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:04 am

ngl2010 wrote:The waiting time at public hospital is very long that we really need determination and perseverance to see a doctor at A&E and get admitted. We waited 12 hours last year at SGH to get my mil get admitted. 12 hours from the time we arrived at A&E until she was put on the bed at the ward. If it was a common illness such as fever, etc, I think we would have given up waiting too.

I had dengue 2 years ago and went to SGH. I was told to go back and have my blood tested everyday at GP. Only when it drop to a certain level then the hospital will admit me. Luckily it never went down to a dangerous level but those days we worried everyday because the blood test result will only available the next day. That means, there is a day delay so the platelet count may drop down further by the time we know the blood test result.


My sentiments is d same as yours!!
To add on, my cousin was admiited himself to SGH 2yrs ago after throwing out blood, was still waving n calling out to inform his mum whereabt n after hrs of waiting n waiting... He went into a coma n bleeded almost d whole nite n d doc just brushed off as sm respiratory prob, cant detect what really went wrong. My cousin passed away nxt day...

We feel d hospital did us /him a great disservice.. Bt wat can we do a life was lost...

Am just glad tat i went to gleneagles wen i had food poisoining tis yr, i was vomitting every other min, horrible! Bt upon arrival i was being attended fast n d agony was nipped! Of coz u can say is pte d cost is different bthving to wait for hrs to b diagnosed is just not rite

longmao.irene
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:57 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

Postby tankee » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:07 am

there is no drugs to cure dengue

tankee
Site Admin
 
Posts: 17790
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 18


Re: Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

Postby cherrygal » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:10 am

That is so sad... but do private hospitals have the facilities / equipment to save severe cases like your cousin's? They always advise severe cases to go to general hospitals...

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2886
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:01 am
Total Likes: 13


Re: Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

Postby ngl2010 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:16 am

cherrygal wrote:That is so sad... but do private hospitals have the facilities / equipment to save severe cases like your cousin's? They always advise severe cases to go to general hospitals...

Really? They always advise severe cases to go to general hospitals?

My sister went to Mt E's A&E last year due to breathlessness. She was attended swiftly. We were so impressed. Of course the bill is 'impressive' too. We don't think we can afford it but if swift treatment makes a difference between life and death, I think we have no choice.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6033
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 pm
Total Likes: 68


Re: Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

Postby cherrygal » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:19 am

ngl2010 wrote:
cherrygal wrote:That is so sad... but do private hospitals have the facilities / equipment to save severe cases like your cousin's? They always advise severe cases to go to general hospitals...

Really? They always advise severe cases to go to general hospitals?

My sister went to Mt E's A&E last year due to breathlessness. She was attended swiftly. We were so impressed. Of course the bill is 'impressive' too. We don't think we can afford it but if swift treatment makes a difference between life and death, I think we have no choice.


Severe ones like burns or head trauma, usu they will advise you to go to SGH/ TTSH. Even LKY goes to SGH.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2886
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:01 am
Total Likes: 13


Next

Return to Recess Time