Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Post Reply
cmm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Jun 29,
Total Likes:1

Re: Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

Post by cmm » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:33 pm

Oh, and one more thing. The A&E doc instructed me to go back to A&E immediately if I started bleeding in the gums, vomit blood, or have blood in urine cos this would mean the disease has progressed to a more dangerous phase.

Also, do not self medicate when down with dengue as some drugs increases the risk of Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever. This is the reason why one should NEVER NEVER take brufen during Dengue though fever is high.

There really is no treatment for dengue. Your depend on your own body to heal itself. I took vit B complex in addition to the precribed vit c as I read that vit B helps to increase platelet count. I also tried to drink as much water as I could though water tastes really awful when I was sick and made me all the more nauseous. I also slept all day. Getting lots of rest is very important for the body to recover.

Also, it is important to apply insect repellant that contains DEET during the first week of illness as during this time, if an Aedes mosquito bites you, it becomes infected with the disease and the next person it bites will kena the disease. Repellents that do not have DEET do not repel Aedes. That said, do not use DEET on babies as they are not safe for babies.
Last edited by cmm on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7333
Joined: Tue May 24,
Total Likes:76

Re: Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

Post by ngl2010 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:34 pm

sleepy wrote:Which private hospital A&E is better in case of emergencies? For children? & for adults?

most only think of KKH if children

Until what age is considered children? Paiseh if see paediatrician if our child is no longer considered as children.

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 5248
Joined: Fri Nov 16,
Total Likes:43

Re: Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

Post by Harlequin » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:56 pm

ngl2010 wrote:
sleepy wrote:Which private hospital A&E is better in case of emergencies? For children? & for adults?

most only think of KKH if children

Until what age is considered children? Paiseh if see paediatrician if our child is no longer considered as children.


Below 16yo is under paediatric care, in SG.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7333
Joined: Tue May 24,
Total Likes:76

Re: Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

Post by ngl2010 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:20 pm

Harlequin wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:
sleepy wrote:Which private hospital A&E is better in case of emergencies? For children? & for adults?

most only think of KKH if children

Until what age is considered children? Paiseh if see paediatrician if our child is no longer considered as children.


Below 16yo is under paediatric care, in SG.

Noted. Thanks. We never see big kids when we went to paediatrician when DS was small so we keep wondering about it :smile:

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed Feb 17,
Total Likes:6

Re: Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

Post by atrecord » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:18 am

The healthcare system in SGP is struggling to cope, even with the present population, which is ageing and also getting more affluent - both of which means more requirements for healthcare.

When population increases further, and with the middle age people growing older, we will need at least 3 times more hospitals than currently in order to cope...

3 weeks ago, I brought my 105-yr-old grandmother to TTSH as she complained of pain in her pelvic, as she fell off from her bed about 2 weeks before that. I had brought her to her GP first, who referred her to do xray at a private diagnostic centre. Unfortunately she was screaming in pain when asked to lie down flat on the metal bed so couldn't take it there and have to go TTSH A&E.

Reached TTSH at around 3.30 pm. Waited at triage then later see doc on duty and waited for painkiller injection before xray and later doc review, who said that xray couldn't see fracture but suggested MRI instead as she's still complaining of pain... We were advised to admit her overnight for observation and for MRI the next morning; if discharge and wait for outpatient MRI appt, will take at least 1-2 mth. So I went to register her for admission.

By the time registration finished, it was 11.30 pm. A bed was assigned only past midnight.

We were so afraid that my grandma might catch some infection or suffer anxiety- or stress-related incidents there...


teaberry
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri May 31,
Total Likes:13

Re: Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

Post by teaberry » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:31 am

tankee wrote:there is no drugs to cure dengue


Work is ongoing on a vaccine and it seems that they have 'kinda' found the cure to dengue, but so far no concrete certainty to it yet as these research have not received proper fundings. Looks like it's 'prevention is better than cure' in the meantime for us.

Canvas
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Jul 30,

Re: Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

Post by Canvas » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:23 am

cmm wrote:Oh, and one more thing. The A&E doc instructed me to go back to A&E immediately if I started bleeding in the gums, vomit blood, or have blood in urine cos this would mean the disease has progressed to a more dangerous phase.

Also, do not self medicate when down with dengue as some drugs increases the risk of Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever. This is the reason why one should NEVER NEVER take brufen during Dengue though fever is high.

There really is no treatment for dengue. Your depend on your own body to heal itself. I took vit B complex in addition to the precribed vit c as I read that vit B helps to increase platelet count. I also tried to drink as much water as I could though water tastes really awful when I was sick and made me all the more nauseous. I also slept all day. Getting lots of rest is very important for the body to recover.

Also, it is important to apply insect repellant that contains DEET during the first week of illness as during this time, if an Aedes mosquito bites you, it becomes infected with the disease and the next person it bites will kena the disease. Repellents that do not have DEET do not repel Aedes. That said, do not use DEET on babies as they are not safe for babies.


Sigh. The dreaded dengue. I had the mildest form of dengue fever 6+years ago. In fact I did not have much discomfort. The workplace nurse suspected my rashes to be dengue and I went to ttsh, and was swiftly attended to. Was quarantined for a few hours and when my blood test came back, I could return home. Last November, DH came down with the more serious form of Dengue. I stupidly quarantined our family for fear of infecting others (through mozzies of coz) but I sacrificed my DS instead. :sad: on the day DH's blood platelet went down so low that he had to be hospitalized immediately, the next day DS came down with dengue! TTSH does not take children dengue patient so DS had to go to kkh. I was rushing to two hospitals several times in those few grueling days. Oh, DH's condition was very serious because apparently that was his second dengue (the first we did not even know).

What I want to feedback is that TTSH turned out to be quite efficient. Procedures were well managed. But NOT KKH! My blood boils when I recall how much pain my DS went through due to the incompetence of the young doctors. On the first evening of admission, a Pinoy young doctor told the nurse to give DS brufen for his high fever. I was listening in and went "WHAT? He is having dengue!" and the doctor replied with "Oh, he's having dengue? I forgot." WALAU EH!!! I pretty much stayed awake those few days to make sure they fed DS the right medicine. Can you imagine if I did not read extensively about the disease and DS took the medicine that could have thin his blood and possibly kills him? Aside from that, the trainee pimply doctors were unsympathetic towards the young patients and one even poked the needle in wrongly, while searching for the vein for a good few minutes (causing DS to cry out loud in pain) that I wanted to punch him in his nose!

By the way, is it too late to complain about KKH now after 7months? I was too busy with family that I had forgotten to write in a complain letter. Can I still do it now? I have every detail including the doctors' names.

Reading about the recent death news sent chills down my spine. :sad:

Han Seo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 336
Joined: Wed Sep 10,
Total Likes:13

Re: Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

Post by Han Seo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:09 am

A friend died of dengue two years ago.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 25871
Joined: Fri Sep 05,
Total Likes:119

Re: Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

Post by Jennifer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:45 am

I never have a good impression of Govt Hospital.

With the exception of AH now, after FIL is admitted into AH twice this month- I see the caring n patient nurses at work.

Hv visited KKH A&E dept a few years back when my elder boy had very high fever. It took many hours before we were attended to and sent back within a short while - not helpful at all.

When my younger boy needed to be hospitalised during babyhood, we chose Mt Alvernia.

I would never go to SGH.

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 6728
Joined: Thu Jan 06,
Total Likes:98

Re: Dengue death: Father has sought lawyer to sue TTSH

Post by iFirefly » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:04 pm

Mount Alvernia Hospital.. Short waiting time, caring doctors & nurses, reasonable & affordable fees.. Most importantly, the staff serves with their HEARTS.. :hugs:

Post Reply