mum throw son down from 5th floor ......

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:108

Re: mum throw son down from 5th floor ......

Post by limlim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:50 am

janet_lee88 wrote:I am on anti-depressant. Which is why I know.

Many refuse to accept that depression requires medication...and they stop taking bcos they do not see themselves getting better just after 1-2 months. It cannot be rushed. I was prescribed Xanax too but the doctor kept a close watch initially.

How about protac? the doctor didn't prescribe long term medicine?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:38

Post by sleepy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:53 am

janet_lee88 wrote:I felt that something wasn't right....like I could be feeling very sad and not knowing why...couldn't sleep at night, which made things worse. And of course, weeping for no reason. I just could not pick myself up...it was like walking in the dark tunnel looking for the light at the end of it. Nothing could cheer me up.

Just curious, did this feeling happen gradually or rather quickly? There is a trigger?

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by limlim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:55 am

ngl2010 wrote:So, my suggestion if our family/friend is depressed : please see a psychiatrist. If he/she needs medication, the psychiatrist will prescribe. If no need medication, the psychiatrist won't prescribe anyway. If needs to take medication, please make sure that the person takes medication. Don't skip or reduce the dose. If embarassed to go to IMH, please get a referral letter from polyclinics to see a psychiatrist at Wellness Centre in Queenstown or Geylang.

If the person with depression is very stubborn type and refused to seek treatment and take medicine, that's the difficult part.. Anyway, depression is many types..

If the person can still reason, not so bad.. else, very jialat..

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:4

Post by happyheart » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:41 am

Many years back, my girlfriend's sister called my girlfriend in an afternoon requesting her to fetch the kids in school ( then P1 & P3) saying she will be busy. When my girlfriend returned at her home an hour later, her sister was lying at the void deck of her flat. We were all shocked and heartbroken! I knew the sister too and there was hardly sign of depression although we heard she was having some trouble with her husband. Some people have higher tolerance for set back and will seek help before it is too late. There are people who would just feel hopeless and think it is the end of the world. My take is that if you know someone is hurting, offer help even before signs of depression show.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:82

Post by MMM » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:45 am

I feel that most people will go through a bout of "depression" at some point in life and it's how they pick themselves up and move on.

Few months back, I felt depressed. The mounting workload with a expanded job scope which I sort of hated, stress that comes with the job, stress from less than ideal results by dd who is sitting for PSLE this year, ds who was sacked from leadership position due to some issues in school...., no work life balance and hence unable to coach the kids, maids having issues with pils, basically it was just a feeling that nothing is going smoothly and I felt stressed out, sad and weepy. Would cry to myself thinking of those disappointing events. I just felt so sad and disappointed.

I started having funny thoughts like maybe dying is not a bad thing. I thought about my aunt who died at the beginning of the year. So peaceful to just lie there right and no need to worry about this and that anymore. It was actually a scary thought and the first time I think that way. I would also look at cleaners, cashiers etc... and thought to myself how nice to be doing their job. Less stressful than mine, etc... I am not saying their job is easy but rather at that point I felt that it would be nice to do a job that I don't have to worry about work after work.

Subsequently I spoke to a close pal about my thoughts. She was facing alot challenges at work and with kids and kind of share the same feeling as me. Speaking to a close colleague who was going through some stress, she was also telling me about going back to country and do simpler job and no more corporate life. It appeared that people around me are sick of stressful corporate life or our current life and would like to do something different. Speaking to friends made me feel that I am not alone.

Along the way, the bad datelines got better and thing start to stabilize and I am now back to normal. I gathered that I might have gone through a mild depression which is actually likely to strike anyone. If situations do not improve along the way and there is no support (friends, etc...), things might snowball into something more serious.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:134

Post by janet88 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:37 am

limlim wrote:

Many refuse to accept that depression requires medication...and they stop taking bcos they do not see themselves getting better just after 1-2 months. It cannot be rushed. I was prescribed Xanax too but the doctor kept a close watch initially.

seeing a psychiatrist is a long term thing...very expensive if you go private...get referral from polyclinic and the doctor will try to expedite the case if he sees the patient needs urgent help.

you meant prozac ?
there are generic brands...so prices are definitely cheaper.
anti-depressant takes a while to kick in (as in few months to see positive change), if my doctor hadn't prescribed something 'short term' to kick-start, i would have done something drastic. :imdrowning:

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by limlim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:02 am

janet_lee88 wrote:
limlim wrote:

seeing a psychiatrist is a long term thing...very expensive if you go private...get referral from polyclinic and the doctor will try to expedite the case if he sees the patient needs urgent help.

you meant prozac ?
anti-depressant takes a while to kick in (as in few months to see positive change), if my doctor hadn't prescribed something 'short term' to kick-start, i would have done something drastic. :imdrowning:

yeah prozac.. forgot spelling..

cfan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by cfan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:15 am

Just sharing

你永远不会是最苦的那一个

1.人生最可悲的并非失去四肢,而是没有生存希望及目标!人们经常埋怨什么也做不来,但如果我们只记挂着想拥有或欠缺的东西,而不去珍惜所拥有的,那根本改变不了问题!真正改变命运的,并不是我们的机遇,而是我们的态度。

2.人这一辈子,最重要的不是你所处的位置,而是你所朝的方向。不能左右天气,但你可以改变心情;不能改变容貌,但你可以展现笑容;不能控制他人,但你可以掌握自己;不能样样顺利,但你可以事事尽力;不能决定生命的长度,但你可以不让有限的年华虚度。

3.爱的另一面不是恨,而是原谅。当你在心里埋下仇恨,纠缠于往事的枝枝叶叶时,只会让自己伤得更深,还赔上时间、健康、情绪和当下的生活。原谅别人就是善待自己,只有走出灰暗的心境,才能迎来明媚的阳光,开始另一段美好的人生。

4.现实不是励志片,成功并非必然结局。如果只是片面崇拜成就,那么我们追寻成功的历程必然充满着盲目与不理智。这些曾经鼓舞着我们前进的号角声,会幻化成为成功路上的陷阱,让我们一次又一次的跌倒。

Link:http://www.fodizi.net/qt/qita/8006.html

sinoboy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:18

Post by sinoboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:48 am

janet_lee88 wrote:
limlim wrote:

you meant prozac ?

Some here prescribed going for counseling, and some depressed before ones say talk to yourself nicely and ask for ticket to heaven and your troubles will go away. :lol:

But in reality, it is difficult for a depressed person to see a doctor. Once diagnosed with depression, which most ignorant folks see as a mental illness, it might affect relationship with others and job prospects. Most depressed people will not seek help because our society is unforgiving. :scared:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:134

Post by janet88 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:09 pm

If one is resilient to see a doc, then it will be hard to get out of it...yes, that social stigma of mental health is very unforgiving here. If family members think depression is something you can flick the fingers and snap out of it, then all the more it is harder to recover.

Supposing the person is very depressed and requires medication, counseling alone will not be effective if the person is not able to see logic.