How to find our kids' passion?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

How to find our kids' passion?

Postby SAHM_TAN » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:11 pm

I was reading this http://www.all-gifted.com/einstein-gift ... bHLuGQayc1

How to find the child's passion ? I don't expect that if the child is passionate about "the thing" she will be no.1 in it. But at least she will be happy perusing it and making it her life's work.

But how to find it?

Is it to let the child discover it herself?

Expose the child to all kinds of opportunities and let her find out?

I go with life's flow so I don't really have a passion for something that I can use as a means to earn a living. Of course not necessary for the interest to be a source of income. But how to help the child to find it ?

My dd1 wants to learn ballet. I'm scared like hell. LOL. Becos very ex and if she's really passionate abt it, it will be a very expensive passion. Heehee

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: How to find our kids' passion?

Postby ammonite » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:16 pm

Exposure, indulgence and encouragement.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:29 pm

ammonite wrote:Exposure, indulgence and encouragement.

Ask a stupid qn.

Do you systematically expose your child in all areas?

Let's say sports, need to organise activities like bowling, swimming, running, archery, golf, etc?

Then after sports go to the next category like music?

Ya, sounds anal but do kids find passion in the environment that they are in or they will find it when they are older?

Is it a natural process ? Like a magnet attracted to something magnetic? A calling even?

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:01 pm

If the indulgence is on kids learning how to play golf from k1 / k2, that is expensive.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:08 pm

To me, it is a combination of nature plus nurture, temperament and match between teacher and student. Like building a fire. First is the initial spark (interest) and when young, it depends very much on parents or serendipity (happen to see or hear it somewhere). When they are older, it is often through social circles, school, or serendipity. Depending on the child's temperament, some will not let go, others need help to persevere. At different stages, they will need / meet different teachers who may help them grow or kill the interest altogether.

When young, I do a lot of different things with my kids, but also observing their temperament and likes and dislikes. If I see a certain aptitude - natural body intelligence, perfect pitch etc, or my child request for something specific, I will do my best to at least arrange for a trial lesson. So in the case of your daughter, I will definitely send her for dance lessons.

Different ages are ready for different things. Not all activities can be or need to be introduced at a young age.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby teaberry » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:32 pm

It is good to have a passion for something even from a young age. With passion, people will accomplish great in life.

How to discover our kid's passion and talents? Well it takes time and good observation. I've learnt that first, get our kids to talk about things that really make them feel excited about and what they aspire to do or be when they grow up. Find out what others say about our kids and their special talents. Observe what our kids enjoy doing and their successful experiences when exposed to exploiting their talents.

Once their passions have been discovered, parents should give their support, be it financially if finance allows it or most importantly, emotionally. This will help stretch their potential to greater heights and have their dreams fulfilled.

teaberry
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:43 pm

When DD was younger, we had to "force" her to practise on the piano. Through serendipity, she was chosen for Chinese Orchestra as her CCA. Over time, she developed sufficient interest in music such that she now plays 3 key instruments (exam and competition level) and 1-2 minor instrument(s) (for fun).

Sometimes, it takes time to develop the passion for an activity while other times, the lack of ability or interest is very clear at the onset. DS also plays the piano but it is very clear that he has neither the aptitude nor inclination for it.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Geraldinelim » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:16 am

definitely takes time to build up their passion.

most impt to get them exposed and be encouraging.
Geraldinelim
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby hoo1688 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:30 am

What are your goals?
If they could do one thing for the rest of they life, what would it be?
What do they love to do?
What would they do, even if they didn't get paid to do it?
What makes them feel like nothing else exit?
What activity makes them feel completely in their element?
What is the one thing they have always dreamed about, but never got to do?
What did they want to do when they were children?
Do they have an impractical dream that they once abandoned?
Is there something they have been afraid to try because it takes them out of their comfort zone?
Is there something they have been wanting to do but haven't done because of financial fears?

hoo1688
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:32 am

I feel it's a combination of exposure and 'reading' your child. In early years, we just did broad things - listen to music, art and craft, read, go out and see things. From that, you should have an idea what interests your child. Then as they grow, you can let them have more exposure in those areas and see if they narrow down their interests to something more specific. Of course, it has to be balanced with what the family can afford in terms of finances and times. Eg. even if my child wants to learn golf or to fly an aeroplane (eventually!), I will have to say 'no' because we don't have the means to let her try.

Age also has a part to play. One of my daughters (16yo) has always liked to read and write, and we have seen her skills change and develop over the years. She still hasn't really found her niche yet, but we expect that it will take time so we just let her explore for now. My other daughter has always enjoyed music, so I started her on piano at 7yo, and we struggled through a year or so before giving up. We tried to interest her in other instruments but she wasn't keen even though she still enjoyed music. When she was 12yo and her hands grew big enough, she started learning the guitar and that seems to be 'her' instrument. We never have to nag her to practise, which is a great relief! So we just go with the flow.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time