Childcare - New Tender System

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Childcare - New Tender System

Postby insider » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:18 pm

So happy to read about Ah Gong finally revising the tender system of their sites meant for childcare.

The old system which only looked at the pure $ sign, was a so-terrible system to have, that I was screaming murder for whoever brainless one up there who had come up with that 'brilliant' idea of sucking parents' blood indirectly via sky-high rental and forcing some small but good operators out from the market. This person ought to be sacked coz he is responsible for the sort of some runaway childcare fees now seen in the market (probably similar to that of properties?)

The next tender system that they have to look into is the tender of coffee shops and wet markets. Stop the highest bidder get the site system coz whatever high rent the operator manages to bid will understandably be passed on to heartlanders. Allow small hawkers to survive. Allow us to have a higher chance to have some real authentic local food. One doesn't need to have a PhD in Econs to figure this out. Layman like me also can see this simple social implication and why can't this person? 聪明反被聪明误...Head got worms...

PS: I am actually shaking head, for the recent $100K+/month tender of a site for childcare around town area and the Punggol $50K/month centre...

Life...is not only about numbers. Ah Gong, please open your ears and hear us...

quote:

SINGAPORE: The government has announced new measures to make childcare better and more affordable.

A new tender process will kick in this Friday for HDB childcare sites.

It will not only consider the rental bid price, but also the quality and affordability of the childcare programmes.

The changes were announced on Thursday by Acting Minister for Social and Family Development Chan Chun Sing.

There are currently about 200 commercial child care centres located in HDB premises.

Currently, commercial childcare operators compete for HDB sites purely on rental bid price, where the highest bidder wins.

This will change under a new evaluation process which kicks in on Friday.

Each bid will be given a score card and the bid price will account for 50 per cent of the score.

Affordability of fees is the next most important factor, accounting for 20 per cent of the score.

Some operators currently charge a monthly fee of as much as S$1,000.

Under the new rules, the proposed fees are benchmarked against the median fee charged by commercial operators in HDB premises. This currently stands at S$748.

Mr Chan explained: "It does not mean that they cannot increase the prices, but we hope that the price increase will commensurate or below the rate of inflation. Over time, we do not want the price to escalate beyond the means of the mass market. We want to be able to help operators to make sure that their prices are stable and affordable, yet at the same time, we hope that the operators will also translate some of these savings to lower fees so that most parents from the lower- and middle-income group can come and enjoy the services that they provide.”

The track record of the tenderer - whether it operates other quality centres, assessed in terms of their licence tenure and early childhood accreditation standards attained (such as the SPARK certification), makes up 15 per cent of the evaluation score.

Quality of programmes - whether the proposed centre will have systems in place to ensure programme quality, and the tenderer's investment in trained early childhood professional staff, carries 10 per cent.

Mr Chan said: "If we do not have quality criteria in the evaluation, then we run the danger where price becomes the only signal of quality. This is not what we want to see in Singapore. What we want to see in Singapore are not just programmes which are price-competitive but also good quality ingredients that are age-appropriate for our children."

The remaining 5 per cent goes to community assistance and integration - whether the tenderer's proposed programmes are inclusive and promote community integration, and whether its proposed centre offers assistance to the less advantaged in the community.

unquote

source:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... 09296.html

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Childcare - New Tender System

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:05 pm

insider wrote:So happy to read about Ah Gong finally revising the tender system of their sites meant for childcare.

The old system which only looked at the pure $ sign, was a so-terrible system to have...

The bid price still takes a hefty 50% of the evaluation criteria. This means that the person who bids the highest but offers the highest fees could still win since affordability is only 20% of the criteria, all things being equal.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Imami » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:04 pm

Not a perfect system but better than the previous one. The fact that there is changes mean got hope....

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby insider » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:59 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
The bid price still takes a hefty 50% of the evaluation criteria. This means that the person who bids the highest but offers the highest fees could still win since affordability is only 20% of the criteria, all things being equal.

This 毛 actually needs to 出在 Ah Gong 身上,but was made to 出在 parents' 身上。

Wanna 拔毛 from Ah Gong is difficult coz they are famous for 一毛不拔.

At least they coughing out 50% of their 'KPI' like what Imami said, that it is better than nothing...

心寒啊心寒...

PS: My forecast is preschools will enter into a 'mess' in the next two years coz of Ah Gong's commitment to deliver the hundred centres via Anchor Operators in the next few years. It is a target that was committed by someone who seems to know NOTHING about the industry and therefore it is basically not achievable without hurting the big picture coz the infrastructure and other soft elements are just not available (likely to be a situation of 牺牲大我,成全小我 if they really want to push for the opening of the hundred centres).

PS: I really don't understand how they can plan development without having childcare in mind. Just plan like China to make it compulsory for all residential developments, include private, to allocate a space for childcare if the population in that plot is above X number of households or else cannot TOP.

How to 要拉屎了才找茅坑?So disappointed in their planning.

I fold arms and see show...

PS2: While Anchor Operators will enjoy $2 to $4 psm rental, the above 50% evaluation weightage on rental is still SUBJECTED to MINIMUM TENDER of about $30 psm rental.

醉翁之意 seems to be still on the 酒, though now they maybe asking for half a bottle instead of full... (in my mind, why not lower this minimum to about $10 - $15 psm then the parents will really benefit from lower fee pricing due to cost saving in rent. Not rocket maths leh...)

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:45 am

insider wrote:...
At least they coughing out 50% of their 'KPI' like what Imami said, that it is better than nothing...

I disagree that it is better than nothing. As you rightly pointed out about the minimum $30psm requirement, the latest policies shows that the policy-makers seem to be going through the motion rather than putting money where their mouths are.

I'm actually rather disappointed by the new criteria and I feel it does not measure up to the fanfare of the announcement to make it seem that the government is really doing something to address the key concerns of most working parents.

If the true intent is to ensure affordability and quality of childcare for working parents, then those 2 parameters should take the lion's share of the evaluation criteria, with little focus on rental prices because rental is cost to the businesses and high rental will only translate to higher prices to end consumers. Is it possible for operators to keep their prices low, and develop quality programmes and hire good teachers while being saddled by heavy rental costs every month? Of course not. Let operators compete in terms of how they can keep prices low while providing quality childcare, and any subsidy provided by the government can come in the form of reduced rental costs for operators.

Look at the roll-out of the fibre broadband in Singapore. The reason why we can get high-speed broadband connections at such low prices is because the government has substantially subsidized operators laying the fibre and setting up the networks. Is care for our new generations of Singaporeans not worthy enough for the government to subsidize in terms of infrastructure?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby ngl2010 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:04 am

In that case, why not make it rental free for childcare setting up at HDB? The total cost to the government maybe cheaper than baby bonus.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby insider » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:39 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
I'm actually rather disappointed by the new criteria and I feel it does not measure up to the fanfare of the announcement to make it seem that the government is really doing something to address the key concerns of most working parents.

Aiyo Chief ah, until today you still cant see how they work? Somehow they are good at painting pictures but then if you really look into the details, then you will know many pieces are not the 'originals'.

ChiefKiasu wrote:
If the true intent is to ensure affordability and quality of childcare for working parents, then those 2 parameters should take the lion's share of the evaluation criteria, with little focus on rental prices because rental is cost to the businesses and high rental will only translate to higher prices to end consumers.

My take is nobody dares to take this 'responsibility' of a largely reduced KPI on himself if rental really falls to the minimal.

So, they agreed on a 'mid-way' of about min $30 psm, then for the operators to fight it out. With 'minimum', then can 交待.

To me, the people up there still quite into 'group thinking' and individuals who really have a mind of his / her own dare not stick out his / her head to talk (not sure whether they really lacking industry knowledge which i truly believe it's the case.)

Have always have the ideas of they are darn good in 闭门造车, that though they may carry the best intention to benefit everyone, they hardly can come out with a good solution / proposal.

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Is it possible for operators to keep their prices low, and develop quality programmes and hire good teachers while being saddled by heavy rental costs every month? Of course not. Let operators compete in terms of how they can keep prices low while providing quality childcare, and any subsidy provided by the government can come in the

+/-, I feel public childcare with heavy subsidies should not exceed $550/month and not at the current $750. At $750/month, I can make 'obscene profit' and then start my 'creative accounting'...
Last edited by insider on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:56 pm

insider wrote:...
+/-, I feel public childcare with heavy subsidies should not exceed $550/month and not at the current $750. At $750/month, I can make 'obscene profit' and then start my 'creative accounting'...

Yes, insider... you would know better since you are inside the scene. I agree that public childcare to be placed within HDB estates should not exceed $550. In fact, given that monthly household incomes of 4-room flat owners most range around $5-6K, that would represent about 20% expenditure of most households with 1 child in childcare, which is a comfortable number. If the government can keep reduce this to 10% of most households' expenditure, I'm sure parents would be more willing to have more kids.

Again, I draw the link back to broadband. The current deep penetration of Internet amongst Singaporeans is due to the investments made by the government to reduce the cost of connectivity. Reducing the cost of childcare will go far in helping increase reproductivity.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby insider » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:21 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Yes, insider... you would know better since you are inside the scene. I agree that public childcare to be placed within HDB estates should not exceed $550. In fact, given that monthly household incomes of 4-room flat owners most range around $5-6K, that would represent about 20% expenditure of most households with 1 child in childcare, which is a comfortable number. If the government can keep reduce this to 10% of most households' expenditure, I'm sure parents would be more willing to have more kids.

Chief ah,

You see, so simple 'solution' that we laymen can see but those scholars cannot see. Their brains grow worms really...

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Again, I draw the link back to broadband. The current deep penetration of Internet amongst Singaporeans is due to the investments made by the government to reduce the cost of connectivity. Reducing the cost of childcare will go far in helping increase reproductivity.

The broadband started with the 'right footing'. Have to give credit to the one who chart this blueprint in its development.

For childcare, it is sort of very 'off tracked' oredi with damages done coz of a lousy blueprint (and therefore I calling for the sacking of that person in charge but we know nobody will claim responsibility).

Now you have newer estates with HDB void decks designed as unusable space for childcare, etc = shows Ah Gong's people seem don't co-ordinate = you do yours and I do mine and let's see whether can get the full picture when we get together.

Basically, they lack a common vision of REPRODUCTIVITY in mind when doing planning across the depts (so that will make the calling of 'More Babies" sound like another mere calling = painting soul-less picture).

Market is so severely short of teachers and I can warn all that many bad staff are still kept in the industry coz many operators have no choice (situation worsen by the tightening of the work passes for foreign teachers as well Ah Gong's ambition to open hundred of centres 'suddenly' when they see the need. Must scold again about POOR PLANNING!).

Staff with bad temper, liars, lazy, bad language skills, etc - many of them are in preschools now taking care of kids and the worst thing is, they are enjoying higher salaries! (没天理)

Improving teachers' quality? My Big Foot...

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby insider » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:42 pm

Ah Gong will invite operators to attend meeting to gather info / feedback / etc.

My experience with them has made me highly cynical, that I am no longer interested to give them any feedback.

Months ago I received a 'Survey Form' from HDB, asking residents to vote for preferred colours for the new coat of paint on the blocks.

I left the form on the table.

During dinner, my P4 son reminded me that the due date was coming.

I told him I would not be voting.

Then he asked why.

I explained coz I don't believe at all that my vote actually counts coz the colours had oredi been pre-determined as the vote was just a stroke on folks.

It's a very unhealthy 'political imprint' I cast on my young son but I just can't help it to think that my voice really doesn't count...

Now, the colours of the flats are oredi up.

They are just PLAIN UGLY! (but I don't care lah. Do whatever they want...)

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time