3-year-old boy dies after drowning at Siloso Beach

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

3-year-old boy dies after drowning at Siloso Beach

Postby AC_Power » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:44 am

Parents please be extra vigilant when kids are playing near the waters....

According to a report in Berita Harian, the toddler was at the beach with his five-year-old brother and his mother. Police have classified this as unnatural death and said that investigations are ongoing. -Stomp

Mon, Jun 17, 2013
Stomp

SINGAPORE - A three-year-old boy has died after drowning at Siloso Beach Sunday, Jun 16, 2013.

According to a report in Berita Harian, three year-old Haziq Anaqi Mohd Hafiz was pronounced dead at 1.14pm at Singapore General Hospital (SGH).

The toddler was at the beach with his five year-old brother and mother.

A spokesperson for the SCDF said that an ambulance arrived at 12.10pm and that they also tried to revive the boy at the emergency ward in SGH.

The police classified this as unnatural death and also said that investigations are ongoing.

In an email to Berita Harian, Senior Divisional Director for Sentosa Mr David Goh, said that they are working to provide aid to the family and are helping the police with the investigation. He also added that the incident happened at 11.50am.

He explained that the Sentosa rangers and beach patrol were activated to look for the boy when he was reported missing.

Stomp contributor, Kelvin, who was at the scene, said that the lifeguards managed to locate the boy in the water 15 minutes after his mother noticed he was missing.

Kelvin said:

"A distraught Malay mother was on the beach shouting for her lost son.

"Then I realised that she was frantically looking for her younger son and her older son did not know the whereabouts of his brother.

"He was nowhere to be seen in the beach and waters.

"The lifeguards were called in and they went to search for lost boy.

"He was fished out of the waters about 10 to 15 minutes later.

"The paramedics were called in and the boy was rushed to hospital subsequently.

"It was sad to witness this incident on a Fathers' day but this serves a stark reminder to mind your kids especially near water."

AC_Power
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: 3-year-old boy dies after drowning at Siloso Beach

Postby atrecord » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:47 am

Seriously troubling and tragic...

This is the main reason why i started my kids on swim lessons a few years ago.

Not that we will no longer need be vigilant, but at least it's more reassuring that there is another line of defence...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby longmao.irene » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:54 am

atrecord wrote:Seriously troubling and tragic...

Not that we will no longer need be vigilant, but at least it's more reassuring that there is another line of defence...

Same here. Esp nowadays there are so many outings / overseas exchg prog gg on.. Nvr know wen d kid will up to certain mischief wen there's water play etc.... Teachers may b too preoccupy too even notice one is missing etc..

longmao.irene
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby dolphinsiah » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:07 pm

Many years ago , I remember seeing a 3-4 year old boy running around the public Deep pool.... Slipped and he fell into the Deep pool ...Luckily a Life Guard was around , quickly pull the little boy up....

The mother was seen running from a distance to the little boy.....
The Life Guard told the mother ....keep the little boy away from the deep pool....

But within minutes, the little boy came running around the deep pool again...and the mom is no where in sight...
And history repeat itself, fell into the pool, life guard pick him up again...

My heart was like .... :yikes:

dolphinsiah
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby insider » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:49 pm

Few years back I was at a park in Australia.

There was a big pond with swans.

While lying there idling with my kiddos, I saw a boy of about 3 years old squatting near the pond, trying to fish out a ball (that could be his) from the pond.

In my mind I was thinking, "Where are his parents? Skali fall..."

Before I could even complete my micro-second thought, the boy fell into the pond!

A stranger nearby jumped right in to get the little boy out.

Then the parents of the boy came rushing to them.

Others started to offer shawls/blankets for both the soaking wet boys (June weather in Australia, wet in the pond...).

Little kids can have no brains but adults?

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:10 pm

atrecord wrote:Seriously troubling and tragic...

You r right and your post sets me thinking. My original plan was to let my kid learn to swim when he enters primary school. I heard that there's some national swimming programme for all pri 3 kids (or something like that). Now, I think I need to replan.

We always keep a close watch when he goes swimming. We arrange play dates for 5-6 kids to go swimming together. About 4-5 dads would be in the pool with the kids while the mums would watch close by. But you pointed out something impt - to add another line of defense - learn how to swim.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:16 pm

insider wrote:Little kids can have no brains but adults?

Those adults "no eyes". How else to explain the accident?

Sometimes adults (ESP women. Oops I also woman) tend to get carries away with what they are doing eg chatting. Often I see domestic helpers chatting with fellow helpers and forget about their charges. Jia lat leh.... :slapshead:

I once witnessed how a toddler (a neighbor) pedalled his tricycle out into the car park while the helper was chatting with her friend. I quickly point out to her and ran after that kid. The nest time I see my neighbor, I promptly told him about this incident. :mad:

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dolphinsiah » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:23 pm

I guess a lot of us tend to overlook , that Pond Do have Deep Water...... :imdrowning:

This remind me of my horrified experience with HDB lift....
More than 10 years ago , while we were still staying in a 25 storey flat....

I made a mistake , which luckily did not turn out to be a mishap....

We were staying on the 8th floor , the common lift was right in front of our house....

We were going out, so the younger child around 3 year old was waiting for us in front of the lift, while we were closing the gate and the door....

While we were busy , closing the door, the lift came, someone stepped out, and my little 3 year old girl , just step into the lift

To my horror , the lift door closed and it went up.....it was too fast....

I panicked , as the lift ...just went up, Spouse ....immediately made a dash for the stairs....

Poor me , images of my child getting hurt was flashing in my mind...
Her small fingers , might be crushed by the lift door....she might walk towards the corridor with no proper safety railings.... :nailbite: :nailbite:

Luckily , Spouse found her on the 15th floor .....really scare the hell of me.... :yikes:

I learnt a Good Lesson.....which I will never forget in my Life.... :spank:

dolphinsiah
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby imwithchild » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:24 pm

it is really sad. i read somewhere that a lot of children drowned because of the lack of water awareness. if they had stood up (the pool was not that deep), they would not have drowned.

imwithchild
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Imami » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:31 pm

imwithchild wrote:it is really sad. i read somewhere that a lot of children drowned because of the lack of water awareness. if they had stood up (the pool was not that deep), they would not have drowned.

This, I can personally testify.

When I was about 4-5, I was left waddling in the pool while my elder cousins, parents, aunts were all over the place. They were near but not within my reach. For some reason (can't remember), I lost my footing and was struggling. Drank lots of pool water (yucks), tried screaming in between the gulps of water, waving my hands wildly... In the end, my Adult cousin just scooped me up and put me on my feet to stand. Hey, the water level only reaches my chest. All I remembered at that instance was embarrassment and relief.

Never forget that incident. Which is why, I don't believe in "it's ok, I am only up here, very near". I make sure either myself or my hubby is in the water near the kids.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time