Singapore that use to be

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Re: Singapore that use to be

Post by jetsetter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:51 am

pirated wrote: When the mrt tunneling damage a house belonging to someone they rebuilt it

One of the cathedrals downtown also restored despite the tunneling. Likewise Victoria concert hall, Victoria theatre and city hall

Open sided theatre ? That's is the uniqueness of it that make it iconic. Google the passion play theatre of Oberammergau
The difference...maybe...

Cathedral of the Good Shepherd, VCH, VT and City Hall= all built during the British colonial period (part of Raffles' civic district); versus

NT = modern architecture built during Singapore's self-govt to Federation of Malaya era, i.e. before 1965 SG independence...hmmm...therefore... :scratchhead: :sweat: :duck:

Which ones more worthy to conserve in terms of "heritage value"? :evil:

SCH @ Shenton was completed in 1965...but was fully air-con and walled up. But was used as Trade Union House then. Gazetted as a national monument on 26 Dec 2010.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:173

Post by pirate » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:55 pm

jetsetter wrote: However, NT really had structural problems-

http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers ... er=similar
That's just a lot of words for saying, "we just don't want to spend so much money on it."

The Victoria Theatre and Victoria Concert Hall cost $158m to refurbish. Back in 1984, I don't think the gov would be willing to spend anything like the 1984 equivalent of $158m on refurbishing any arts venue. Actually, they would probably get hammered left, right and centre if they did.

Of course, nowadays if the feeling is really that strong, we can always build a replica. Might still be cheaper with modern technology... :siam:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by jetsetter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:20 pm

pirate wrote:

That's just a lot of words for saying, "we just don't want to spend so much money on it."

The Victoria Theatre and Victoria Concert Hall cost $158m to refurbish. Back in 1984, I don't think the gov would be willing to spend anything like the 1984 equivalent of $158m on refurbishing any arts venue. Actually, they would probably get hammered left, right and centre if they did.

Of course, nowadays if the feeling is really that strong, we can always build a replica. Might still be cheaper with modern technology... :siam:
1984-5 severe global recession (US was hit very badly during Reagan admin), of course to bolster weakening economy, G contracted out as many construction jobs as possible to create jobs.

It's little wonder why they removed the young defective building to build CTE and MRT tunnel first. That revolving stage at NT cost the Govt $10,000 per annum to maintain. Why waste $ on that when we needed to build more new towns and schools in the mid-80s?

Bingo...some diehard sentimentalist did lor...in 2013. :rotflmao:

念念不忘。。。
http://lux-mag.com/2014/08/02/singapore ... g-history/

Seriously, I wonder where the former location of NT was?? At The Legends? I was too young to remember such things.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by pirate » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:52 pm

jetsetter wrote:Seriously, I wonder where the former location of NT was?? At The Legends? I was too young to remember such things.
:idea:
Look up www.onemap.sg. Got "H.S. of National Theatre" near the junction of River Valley Road and Clemenceau Avenue.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:158

Post by Nebbermind » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:56 pm

pirate wrote:
jetsetter wrote:Seriously, I wonder where the former location of NT was?? At The Legends? I was too young to remember such things.
:idea:
Look up www.onemap.sg. Got "H.S. of National Theatre" near the junction of River Valley Road and Clemenceau Avenue.
Liang Court and LTA is somewhere on the right of the pic

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by atrecord » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:00 pm

pirate wrote:

Hmm... sounds like substandard work / corruption during the original construction of the NT...
Did the relevant authorities probe the findings of these PE experts?

Thinking back, quite dangerous for me to have been there leh...

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by jetsetter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:09 pm

LTA at Hampshire?

How did the pp access NT last time? From Liang Court side, not YMCA side right?

I went to The Legends a few times. There is a steep terrace with fountains behind where they hold garden weddings. Was that the place?

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by pirate » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:30 pm

jetsetter wrote:I went to The Legends a few times. There is a steep terrace with fountains behind where they hold garden weddings. Was that the place?
No, lah. That's not the same part of Fort Canning. The Legends was a British era military building. NT was facing River Valley Road. It should be about right on top of where the Fort Canning MRT Station is going to be.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:158

Post by Nebbermind » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:40 pm

jetsetter wrote:LTA at Hampshire?

I went to The Legends a few times. There is a steep terrace with fountains behind where they hold garden weddings. Was that the place?
LTA's ITSC at the corner of the big junction.
NT was just opposite that, at the foot of the hill...I think currently it's some site office for LTA mrt project. It was a park in front of it so I think you can either go in from RV and Clemeceau (near Hindu temple). Not so near to YWCA.

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by atrecord » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:57 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
jetsetter wrote:LTA at Hampshire?

LTA's ITSC at the corner of the big junction.
NT was just opposite that, at the foot of the hill...I think currently it's some site office for LTA mrt project. It was a park in front of it so I think you can either go in from RV and Clemeceau (near Hindu temple). Not so near to YWCA.
I only remember going in from the RV side. Will pass by the fountain first, then to the building itself.

I also remember taking part in some art/drawing competition at NT, and i sat somewhere near the RV road, facing the fountain and NT, and drew them both. Had won some prize too but can't remember what already...