General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Re: Singapore that use to be

Post by jetsetter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:57 pm

pirate wrote:
jetsetter wrote:I went to The Legends a few times. There is a steep terrace with fountains behind where they hold garden weddings. Was that the place?
No, lah. That's not the same part of Fort Canning. The Legends was a British era military building. NT was facing River Valley Road. It should be about right on top of where the Fort Canning MRT Station is going to be.
The Legends is a new hotel built in 2000, pirate.

Fort Canning Centre is your old British barracks where Sally Port, Battle Box and all those haunted-looking structures stand...WOMAD location.
Nebbermind wrote: LTA's ITSC at the corner of the big junction.
NT was just opposite that, at the foot of the hill...I think currently it's some site office for LTA mrt project. It was a park in front of it so I think you can either go in from RV and Clemeceau (near Hindu temple). Not so near to YWCA.
:idea: I know where liao! Diagonally opp SHELL HOUSE/UE Square! Rather near Ngee Ann Kongsi @ Tank Rd.

Great, there's FCP MRT. So can get to Robertson Quay easily next time:)

Tks folks!

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by jetsetter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:04 pm

atrecord wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:
jetsetter wrote:LTA at Hampshire?

How did the pp access NT last time? From Liang Court side, not YMCA side right?

I went to The Legends a few times. There is a steep terrace with fountains behind where they hold garden weddings. Was that the place?
LTA's ITSC at the corner of the big junction.
NT was just opposite that, at the foot of the hill...I think currently it's some site office for LTA mrt project. It was a park in front of it so I think you can either go in from RV and Clemeceau (near Hindu temple). Not so near to YWCA.
I only remember going in from the RV side. Will pass by the fountain first, then to the building itself.

I also remember taking part in some art/drawing competition at NT, and i sat somewhere near the RV road, facing the fountain and NT, and drew them both. Had won some prize too but can't remember what already...
atrecord...OMG! Were we taking part in the same art competition?! U should be in the upp category. :yikes:

There's isn't a single family photo of NT in my photo album, but I do remember struggling to draw those 5 diamonds and the crescent fountain under the hot sun at some point in my life before...The water sprouting out from the fountain was the most irritating thing to draw.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by jetsetter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:08 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
jetsetter wrote:
Is this "hole" still there today?
At Empress Place?
this Hobbit hole leads to Empress Place from Elizabeth Walk.

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by atrecord » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:18 pm

jetsetter wrote:
atrecord wrote:
I only remember going in from the RV side. Will pass by the fountain first, then to the building itself.

I also remember taking part in some art/drawing competition at NT, and i sat somewhere near the RV road, facing the fountain and NT, and drew them both. Had won some prize too but can't remember what already...
atrecord...OMG! Were we taking part in the same art competition?! U should be in the upp category. :yikes:

There's isn't a single family photo of NT in my photo album, but I do remember struggling to draw those 5 diamonds and the crescent fountain under the hot sun at some point in my life before...The water sprouting out from the fountain was the most irritating thing to draw.
Wow, sure or not? can buy 4D…
i was definitely in pri school only then, but can't remember P what?
i think it wasn't too difficult to draw leh, prob cos i was forced to do so till quite seasoned already… spent my childhood weekends taking part in one competition after another :sweat:

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:173

Post by pirate » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:12 pm

jetsetter wrote:The Legends is a new hotel built in 2000, pirate.

Fort Canning Centre is your old British barracks where Sally Port, Battle Box and all those haunted-looking structures stand...WOMAD location.
Sure or not? I thought the Legends/Hotel Fort Canning used to be Fort Canning Country Club, which used to be the Singapore Command and Staff College, which used to be the British Far East Command HQ Building.

All those barracks, Battle Box, various other holes in the ground etc was the former British Far East Command Centre. I think the Fort Canning Centre you are referring to is the Fort Canning Arts Centre, which used to be British army barracks.

Not the same thing whorr. Legends used by generals, the other one used by other ranks. :wink:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:158

Post by Nebbermind » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:40 pm

pirate wrote:

Sure or not? I thought the Legends/Hotel Fort Canning used to be Fort Canning Country Club, which used to be the Singapore Command and Staff College, which used to be the British Far East Command HQ Building.

All those barracks, Battle Box, various other holes in the ground etc was the former British Far East Command Centre. I think the Fort Canning Centre you are referring to is the Fort Canning Arts Centre, which used to be British army barracks.

Not the same thing whorr. Legends used by generals, the other one used by other ranks. :wink:
I think Fort Canning CC was new. But there used to be a much small building at that location. I remember it looking very much like a typical govt building...machiam KK hosp blocks. On the other hand, FCC always looked more imposing.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by jetsetter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:53 pm

atrecord wrote:
jetsetter wrote:
atrecord wrote:

Wow, sure or not? can buy 4D…
i was definitely in pri school only then, but can't remember P what?
i think it wasn't too difficult to draw leh, prob cos i was forced to do so till quite seasoned already… spent my childhood weekends taking part in one competition after another :sweat:
I dunno if it's the same competition...there were dozens every month. For NT, I shd be in preschool cos I usually tagged along my elder sibling for such outings. I didn't win any prize, hence no impression whatsoever!

:hi5:
How come we suffered the same fate? I was forced to take part in one competition after another too. :roll:
Last edited by jetsetter on Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

seaglass
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:33

Post by seaglass » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:56 pm

jetsetter wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:
jetsetter wrote:
Is this "hole" still there today?
At Empress Place?
this Hobbit hole leads to Empress Place from Elizabeth Walk.
I remember walking this way to VCH for SSO concerts long time ago!
There was also the Empress Place hawker centre where we'd have dinner before the concert. (:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by jetsetter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:56 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
pirate wrote:

I think Fort Canning CC was new. But there used to be a much small building at that location. I remember it looking very much like a typical govt building...machiam KK hosp blocks. On the other hand, FCC always looked more imposing.
I attended a few corporate teambuilding and leadership training at:

1) The KKH-lookalike block;
2) the refurnished The Legends (formerly some Club).

I think The Legends was also formerly a Brit army HQ, according to Wiki. They probably extended it from the old facade/main block.

at-Sunrice academy is somewhere nestled up there too right?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:158

Post by Nebbermind » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:01 pm

seaglass wrote:[
I remember walking this way to VCH for SSO concerts long time ago!
There was also the Empress Place hawker centre where we'd have dinner before the concert. (:
You mean there wss a hawker next to VCH?
I remember one just opposite the river next to the bridge.