General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
seaglass
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:33

Re: Singapore that use to be

Post by seaglass » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:04 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
seaglass wrote: I remember walking this way to VCH for SSO concerts long time ago!
There was also the Empress Place hawker centre where we'd have dinner before the concert. (:
You mean there wss a hawker next to VCH?
I remember one just opposite the river next to the bridge.
I remember there was one next to the now ACM?? :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:68

Post by schweppes » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:13 pm

seaglass wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:
seaglass wrote: I remember walking this way to VCH for SSO concerts long time ago!
There was also the Empress Place hawker centre where we'd have dinner before the concert. (:
You mean there wss a hawker next to VCH?
I remember one just opposite the river next to the bridge.
I remember there was one next to the now ACM?? :scratchhead: :scratchhead:
Yes, there was a hawker centre next to the now ACM. Used to go there for lunch when I was working in the area.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Post by jetsetter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:50 pm

Nbm was referring to the one in front of BOC & UOB Plaza. There were two food centres on either side of the river.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:68

Post by schweppes » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:58 am

jetsetter wrote:Nbm was referring to the one in front of BOC & UOB Plaza. There were two food centres on either side of the river.

Thanks for clarifying and the pics for visual referencing. The one I used to frequent was the hawker centre nearer to VCH side.

By the early 1990s, iirc, think the hawker centre at BOC side was demolished by then to make way for UOB Plaza and the walkway next to Singapore River.
Last edited by schweppes on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by atrecord » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:59 am

jetsetter wrote:
atrecord wrote:
jetsetter wrote: atrecord...OMG! Were we taking part in the same art competition?! U should be in the upp category. :yikes:

There's isn't a single family photo of NT in my photo album, but I do remember struggling to draw those 5 diamonds and the crescent fountain under the hot sun at some point in my life before...The water sprouting out from the fountain was the most irritating thing to draw.
Wow, sure or not? can buy 4D…
i was definitely in pri school only then, but can't remember P what?
i think it wasn't too difficult to draw leh, prob cos i was forced to do so till quite seasoned already… spent my childhood weekends taking part in one competition after another :sweat:
I dunno if it's the same competition...there were dozens every month. For NT, I shd be in preschool cos I usually tagged along my elder sibling for such outings. I didn't win any prize, hence no impression whatsoever!

:hi5:
How come we suffered the same fate? I was forced to take part in one competition after another too. :roll:
I went for a few at Toa Payoh Garden, and remember drawing the tower and the bridge there. Also had impression of NT. Those days got no tablets/mobiles or good TV programs, so my mother would bring my elder brother and i for those competitions. I won quite a lot of prizes over the years (willingly or unwillingly). Was quite sad when finally had to get rid of the small trophies (plus a few larger ones) 3+ yr ago, when moving house. They survived one move when i was in sec 3, but not the recent one…

Among others, I remember being presented with a box of monopoly by the late Ong Teng Cheong, when he was prob just a MP…

Those were the days...

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by jetsetter » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:40 am

atrecord wrote: I went for a few at Toa Payoh Garden, and remember drawing the tower and the bridge there. Also had impression of NT. Those days got no tablets/mobiles or good TV programs, so my mother would bring my elder brother and i for those competitions. I won quite a lot of prizes over the years (willingly or unwillingly). Was quite sad when finally had to get rid of the small trophies (plus a few larger ones) 3+ yr ago, when moving house. They survived one move when i was in sec 3, but not the recent one…

Among others, I remember being presented with a box of monopoly by the late Ong Teng Cheong, when he was prob just a MP…

Those were the days...
Nope, I didn't go to TPY Gdn, but I went to MacRitchie, Seletar, Zoo, Boat Quay and a few organised by various constituencies. In some competitions, I even won the first prize for my category! Big money! :rotflmao:

Oh lucky u got OTC...I cannot rmb which MP presented me with those awards, but I went on TV and appeared in the papers! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

haha! I also hv 1 big sack of trophies - big and small...where did u dump yours, atrecord? Should I trash them too? Plus my hubby's other sack, we can open a mini museum...

That was one way to keep children gainfully occupied with meaningful activities on weekends. But bear in mind, only families with own vehicles can drive around Singapore for such competitions in the 70s-80s, so dun complain!

I hope your kids are as "competitive" as yourself today... :wink:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:158

Post by Nebbermind » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:29 pm

jetsetter wrote:Nbm was referring to the one in front of BOC & UOB Plaza. There were two food centres on either side of the river.

This one must be just before it was removed. I remember it being more like a makeshift hawker centre. Thanks for the pic!

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by atrecord » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:36 pm

jetsetter wrote:
atrecord wrote: I went for a few at Toa Payoh Garden, and remember drawing the tower and the bridge there. Also had impression of NT. Those days got no tablets/mobiles or good TV programs, so my mother would bring my elder brother and i for those competitions. I won quite a lot of prizes over the years (willingly or unwillingly). Was quite sad when finally had to get rid of the small trophies (plus a few larger ones) 3+ yr ago, when moving house. They survived one move when i was in sec 3, but not the recent one…

Those were the days...
Nope, I didn't go to TPY Gdn, but I went to MacRitchie, Seletar, Zoo, Boat Quay and a few organised by various constituencies. In some competitions, I even won the first prize for my category! Big money! :rotflmao:

Oh lucky u got OTC...I cannot rmb which MP presented me with those awards, but I went on TV and appeared in the papers! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

haha! I also hv 1 big sack of trophies - big and small...where did u dump yours, atrecord? Should I trash them too? Plus my hubby's other sack, we can open a mini museum...

That was one way to keep children gainfully occupied with meaningful activities on weekends. But bear in mind, only families with own vehicles can drive around Singapore for such competitions in the 70s-80s, so dun complain!

I hope your kids are as "competitive" as yourself today... :wink:
you sure have good memory if you were only in pre-school then :wink:

for me, now that you mentioned it, i think i went to Mac, boat quay and zoo, but not sure about seletar. Maybe because i kinda resisted it in upper pri, and in fact tried to get it out of my mind after that. Too much of it, so sort of got sick.

Wah, you were sure high-profile. Had seen my name in papers when results were announced, but no TV. Had gotten a ~30cm-diameter-'metal plate' plaque for some international competition organized out of India (if i'm not wrong, it was under the auspices of Nehru) too…

And I am not sure how I dumped them. Had left them at my parents' place when i got married and moved out. Then 3 yr ago moved again and got my parents to move in with us, so there was a major disposal exercise where i think we got rid of 80-90% of the things they kept in the house over the last 27 (another 15 if count their first flat) yrs…
Maybe my bro took them to keep when i said we can't bring to my new place.

So you and your DH both drew? Good for you. DW can't draw, and the kids take after her… i almost fainted whenever i see my kids draw :rotflmao:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by jetsetter » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:54 pm

Artecord: no I was in competitions after u had finished your PSLE, so i could rmb them vividly. The NT one was during preschool, as a non contestant in tow!

And btw, i meant ALL kinds of competitions available in town. U think I was some art prodigy like u meh? No way! i only wanted to earn cash n book prizes. I needed money to buy books from Popular n MPH. Trophies were useless.

Oh no, dh's were mainly sports, ECA n god knows what. He didnt look at mine n I didnt look at his! We don't indulge in past (juvenile) glory; all useless in a job-hunt! :rotflmao: :lightrod:

Seriously u shd go to NLB Main to call out the digitized news clipping. I shd hv some mentions, essays and forum letters too...i siao onzzzz! News footages are impossible to retrieve from Mediacorp.

aiyo, my Dh is like your DW lor. Btw, i made an impt discovery recently when I found a thick stack of detailed drawings with storyline & character names under son's desk. hmmm...

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:15

Post by Zeit » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:31 am

KSP wrote:
dolphinsiah wrote:So embarrassing based on My 1980 PSLE result slip , I am much older than all of you lor.... :shock: :siam:
My Score 358...4A

My Primary School still exist and is a very Popular School...every year must ballot... :evil:

My Form Teacher and Chinese teacher still teach in this school...
and both taught my DD too. :wink:
That is like 270 in current score!!! RGS must have laid the red carpet for u......
Dunno why this caught my eye.

358 4As not the same as today's 270. Should be 235-249. 400 and above or 4A* will be today's 270-285