ST-1/7/2013 Kiasuparents prepping for P1 registration

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

ST-1/7/2013 Kiasuparents prepping for P1 registration

Postby Harlequin » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:22 am

Kiasuparents prepping for P1 registration

Website traffic set to soar as parents seek balloting data, tips; some say it fuels anxiety

Published on Jul 01, 2013

By Stacey Chia

WITH Primary 1 registration kicking off on Thursday, the kiasuparents.com website is gearing up for a very busy time. Traffic at the site, which gets about 10,000 hits daily, may swell 10 times.

But when it comes to parenting, Mr William Toh believes there is nothing wrong with being kiasu. He after all goes by the moniker Chief Kiasu - playing on the Hokkien term meaning "fear of losing" - on the website the 48-year-old co-founded in 2007.

He says parents who look into primary schools, even when their children are still infants, or move closer to a school so their kids stand a better chance of getting in, do so because they care.

"Being kiasu may have a negative connotation but parents are kiasu because they want to give their children the best," said Mr Toh, a father of two children aged 14 and eight, who are studying in Victoria School and CHIJ St Nicholas Girls' Primary.

Kiasuparents - whose other two co-founders are IT professionals Yip See Wai and Soon Lee Yong, both 40, and married to each other - is again gearing up for a hectic time this week.

Parents, whose children are set to enter Primary 1, consult its guide on primary school education and the historical data of school balloting trends. They also ask each other for advice on which school to send their children to.

One top question on the website, which has over 80,000 members, is which are the best primary schools - which the founders say they refuse to answer.

Instead, "one good way is to volunteer in the school, to find out if the school is suitable for your child", said Mr Yip, who was a parent volunteer at Yew Tee Primary before his son started school there.

But some say that a website like Kiasuparents fuels anxiety.

Last year, when the Education Ministry did not name the top students in the national examinations, parents were quick to start their own lists on the website.

"It is good for parents to talk to other parents, as it helps them understand issues better, but parents should not use the website to compare one school with another, as every school is different," said retired principal Christine Ho, 63.

But Mr Toh, who left his job as an IT director in 2010 to focus on the website, believes Kiasuparents is a success, judging by the content on its forum.

He said: "It used to be filled with mainly questions and answers but now we get less of that and more sharing of opinions on education issues."

staceyc@sph.com.sg

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: ST-1/7/2013 Kiasuparents prepping for P1 registration

Postby Harlequin » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:25 am

EVERY SCHOOL'S DIFFERENT

It is good for parents to talk to other parents, as it helps them understand issues better, but parents should not use the website to compare one school with another, as every school is different.

- Retired principal Christine Ho

Can I register my child at two schools?

SEVERAL parents who are undecided on a school have asked if they can register their child in two different schools. Straits Times senior education correspondent Sandra Davie answers their questions.

My child qualifies for a popular school under Phase 2A2, where I was a former student.
However my first choice is another school, which he qualifies for under Phase 2B. My first choice is rather popular and balloting was conducted in previous years for those living more than 2km away in Phase 2B.

I intend to register my child under Phase 2A2 first. When Phase 2B opens and there is a chance that he can get in without balloting, I intend to withdraw the registration at the earlier school, and register him for the second one.

Can you advise if this is possible?

I would like to know if I can register my son under both Phase 2B and 2C at different schools.
I have completed my volunteer work in School A and will be eligible to register him under Phase 2B. But my first choice is actually School B which I can register him only under Phase 2C.

If my child has already been accepted by a school in an earlier phase, say 2A, can I still register him at another school at a later phase?
A child can be registered only in one school at any point of the P1 Registration Exercise. But if you change your mind, you may withdraw the earlier application to register at another school.

However I would not recommend it. You have to consider the fact that your child has already secured a place in the earlier phase, while he may be subject to balloting at the second school, especially if it is a popular one.

The Straits Times will publish answers to some of your questions on the Primary 1 registration both online and in the newspaper.

Source: The Straits Times.

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:07 am

This type of comment really make me go :roll: Then don't visit such a website lor.

At least now we have information on where to go, what to expect and what is to be done....without having to be either the neighbourhood kaypoh or to befriend the neigbhourhood kaypoh.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Ran1977 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:45 am

hquek wrote:

This type of comment really make me go :roll: Then don't visit such a website lor.

At least now we have information on where to go, what to expect and what is to be done....without having to be either the neighbourhood kaypoh or to befriend the neigbhourhood kaypoh.

I agree

Ran1977
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:59 am

there are 2 sides to this.
if one feels KSP induces anxiety, then don't visit.
but based on experience, i can say it is definitely worth doing so. if it had not been for KSP, i would not have known where to get valuable info when it was time to register #2 kid under another phase...sensitive issue so better :siam:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Harlequin » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:07 am

Agree with Hquek and Janet. :hi5:

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:14 am

hquek wrote:

:lol: I suppose, in the same way, PSI readings also fuels anxiety. And for the matter, all information creates anxiety, since one now has to process and react to the information. Ignorance is bliss. That much is true :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby hquek » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:19 am

Ignorance may be bliss, thereafter come the recriminations.

I was happily ignorant of kindy aspirations until DS1 was almost of age to attend one. Thereafter flew into a state of panic because many kindys were closed to me. Thereafter I learnt a good lesson that it's better to be prepared.

Anyway, my cheng hoo tells me to be prepared....no??

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby janet88 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:24 am

when it was time to register #2 for p1 and we opted for my alma mater, we had to make sure she was 99% guaranteed of a place because we were going to give up phase 1 which is 100% guaranteed...that was indeed heart-stopping.

p1 registration and psle are crucial matters...cannot play play...here at KSP, i have benefitted a great deal of sharing. :lovesite:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby icy_mama » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:25 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
hquek wrote:

:lol: I suppose, in the same way, PSI readings also fuels anxiety. And for the matter, all information creates anxiety, since one now has to process and react to the information. Ignorance is bliss. That much is true :)

chief, you're too modest.

you've got a winning combo here at ksp.
:lovesite:

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time