Tipping Etiquette

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Tipping Etiquette

Postby tearsforfears » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi parents,
please share your experience with tipping service staff in singapore.. as singapore is not big on tipping (no tipping culture generally), i wonder what are the usual tipping etiquette expected when it comes to hair salons and beauty salons.. do you tip your manicurist? the shampoo lady? etc..

I note that some "tai tai's" do tip.. ha, now you can see i'm not a tai tai.. ;)
I do struggle at times wondering if i should tip or not and if it's acceptable if i don't?

I feel more comfortable when tipping overseas though..
please share your experience and views...

sorry if this subject should fall under another topic.. please help to move this post if required. thank you.

tearsforfears
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Tipping Etiquette

Postby osim » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:39 pm

I tip the Bangladashi workers in my estate from time to time. Just to make their day... 'cause their wages are so low. Also to tell them people do appreciate them for doing such a thankless job.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tearsforfears » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:15 pm

osim wrote:I tip the Bangladashi workers in my estate from time to time. Just to make their day... 'cause their wages are so low. Also to tell them people do appreciate them for doing such a thankless job.

i like your kind gesture! i offer them drinks when they are cleaning outside my house..

tearsforfears
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby winchester » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:03 am

tipping not big here since it is service charge culture instead. at most round up, like when paying for cab or when buying something and the person went extra mile in service.

winchester
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tearsforfears » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:28 pm

what about for the beauty services like after your hair cut, after a massage or after your manicure etc..
sometimes i notice that the staff who serviced you may "linger" around the cashier when you pay.. like expecting a tip?

tearsforfears
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Recess Time