Prologue ION Orchard 30% off and our bookstores

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Prologue ION Orchard 30% off and our bookstores

Postby PhysicsTeacher » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:42 am

Prologue of ION Orchard is offering 30% for all books and 20% off for stationeries from July 5. I have very mixed feeling about this. On one hand, I am happy to hunt some favourite books, on the other I am sad to see another bookstore is closing down (offering steeping discount is a precursor for closure). Following Border, high premium rental is driving bookstores away from our city lifestyle. Soon we will have only Kinokuniya amidst the bustling Orchard road, and whether it can last the tyranny of premium rents is unknown, though it is doing very, very fine now; largely I think it has the broadest range of books and features most very current books. Its new outlet in JEM of Jurong East however is much smaller in scale. It will not last long, I venture to guess. Orchard Kinokuniya is heavily patroned by high income groups (many Europeans and Americans) while JEM’s are mostly patroned by average HDB dwellers. (It is also true that books are really expensive nowadays!)

In Singapore, there are three true bookstores: Kinokuniya, Prologue and Popolar@Bras Basah. I really hope to see more of them. Though Popular bookstores mushrooms everywhere, they are not really proper bookstores, rather stationery or textbook stores. Popolar Bookstore is true to its name. It only sells bestsellers and books with popular themes. You do not find and cannot browse the books you want, least about pleasantly surprised by good books.

Don’t you feel sad, if you are a book lover? While global trends of bookstore closures have been very rampant because of online bookstores, one main reason in Singapore might be that most Singaporeans do not read (other than newspapers and popular magazines). I have friends and colleagues who recounted how they couldn’t wait to throw all their texts and books away the minute they were done with their last exams, and these are graduates! They spent days and nights clubbing or pubbing or table taiji (mah-jong) after works. On the other fronts, knowing the cultural values of physical bookstores, many countries like France, NewZelands and China are providing some subsidies to bookstores. Singapore is doing nothing close to this at all.

PhysicsTeacher
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Prologue ION Orchard 30% off and our bookstores

Postby sundaymorning » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:57 am

Hi there,
i do agree with you that its pretty that our bookstores are eventually going out of business, consumers are moving towards the e platform of reading book as a cheaper alternative but i do prefer to read the physical book itself.
Thanks for informing and i will check out the promotion , perhaps to stock up more books before it closes down.

sundaymorning
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:26 am

sundaymorning wrote:Hi there,
i do agree with you that its pretty that our bookstores are eventually going out of business, consumers are moving towards the e platform of reading book as a cheaper alternative but i do prefer to read the physical book itself.
Thanks for informing and i will check out the promotion , perhaps to stock up more books before it closes down.

The prices of many recent e-books are NOT cheap, thanks to stranglehold on the book industry by the large publishers who have colluded amongst themselves to force the setting of e-book prices to be much higher than they used to be. For recent books from these publishers, we effectively pay pretty much the same price as print books, and sometimes even higher.

E-books from smaller publishers do cost lesser than their print edition, and of course, we get plenty of free books from the public domain (eg. Project Gutenberg). So you need to be saavy and compare prices against print editions before purchasing the e-book.

Personally, I do not bemoan the "death" of book stores. Yes, there is something about the smell of new books and the feel of turning pages. But I see it as a technological transition. Books are just mediums to store information. What is ironic is how man has moved from storing information on rock and stone tablets to wood (paper) and now to sand (silicon) :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby hquek » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:09 am

Understand that Malaysia and china get to deduct book purchases for income tax purpose, taiwan subsidise the postage for printed matter (these based on what friends tell me). As a booklover, I will feel more loved.

Books in sg are priced pretty expensive. More needs to be done to bring down the overheads else I dont know how they can survive. I get mine mainly from online and warehouse sales. I am not rich. ...paying $6 online vs paying $18 in stores....sorry to the bookshops but I need to live also.

Really hope and pray that bras basah complex wont be demolished or rentals hiked too high. I am sure we have enough clothing, shoes and makan shops that can afford the sky high rentals.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby limlim » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:33 am

Books are a waste of valuable space.

Why fill a room with books when the entire content can be stored on an iPad? :evil:

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby insider » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:45 am

About e-book.

I still need to read 'real' book instead of from screen. Kindle and i-pad are just more difficult to handle for me as compared to a real book when I read (sitting, lying down, in the toilet, etc).

My daughter was urging me to read 盗墓笔记 and passed me her Kindle. After finishing the first book, I surrendered and lugged back from China the full 8 books... (that I can throw inside my bag and anyhow move).

My house is full of books, even toilet has a small 'bookshelf'. Ya, waste space but I will be lost if all these books disappear...

PS:
Old woman me is making some 'progress', at least now I am reading e-newspaper instead of the hardcopy ones... (but I noted my kids don't really read newspaper anymore after hard copies are no longer available at home).

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:51 am

insider wrote:About e-book.

I still need to read 'real' book instead of from screen. Kindle and i-pad are just more difficult to handle for me as compared to a real book when I read (sitting, lying down, in the toilet, etc).

My daughter was urging me to read 盗墓笔记 and passed me her Kindle. After finishing the first book, I surrendered and lugged back from China the full 8 books... (that I can throw inside my bag and anyhow move).

My house is full of books, even toilet has a small 'bookshelf'. Ya, waste space but I will be lost if all these books disappear...

PS:
Old woman me is making some 'progress', at least now I am reading e-newspaper instead of the hardcopy ones... (but I noted my kids don't really read newspaper anymore after hard copies are no longer available at home).

I realised this too as we also made the switch to e-newspaper. And doing newspaper cutting assignment is a challenge. Now thinking of switching back.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ammonite » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:01 am

My fingers hurt from holding the device for too long. Too much ebooks also make me see double for a day. I have to rest my eyes.

As a family we read a lot. I don't encourage my children to use a device for reading for too long. It is very harmful to the eyes.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:30 am

For newspapers, hardcopy is ok as you read and throw/recycle, so it wouldn't really take up space.

But for books, how often do you read a book repeatedly?

Say, you read it for 10days.. but it will occupy space and collect dust for 10years..

No doubt, hardcopy books is easier to read and handle.. but somehow it just doesn't seems as practical nowadays..

But then, I don't read a lot.. so..... just a casual remark.. book lovers would feel differently I guess..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby insider » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:50 am

limlim wrote:
No doubt, hardcopy books is easier to read and handle.. but somehow it just doesn't seems as practical nowadays..

But then, I don't read a lot.. so..... just a casual remark.. book lovers would feel differently I guess..

This 'easier to read and handle' is very important for most book lovers coz reading is one of the first class 享受. Reading in 'restricted' posture spoils the fun somehow.

When kids can see physical books, they may touch touch see see and then maybe will pick up and read (such as my daughter and not so much for my sons). Without the display of the full range of 武侠小说 in my book shelves, I don't think she will ever really pick up reading these when she was young... (then it becomes a life long habit for her to read Chinese books though now she migrated to e-books).

耳濡目染 effect...

PS:
Those 伟小宝、小龙女、郭靖、杨康 etc are really collecting dust in my shelves. Occasionally I will pick up a chapter to read and then will get hook again to re-read (coz so many fine details that were forgotten oredi...)

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time