All about Taxis Tips

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

All about Taxis Tips

Postby SBKS » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:48 pm

Wanted to share some info that I gathered from Taxi Drivers.

1) Don't do advance booking, current booking has higher chances.
Most of them will not accept it as it requires them to earn lesser and be there early. At times, they will not get the business cos the customers can just cancelled it.

2) Always check with them if they have any loose change before boarding if you don't have any loose change.

3) Tell them where you are going like how many destinations before boarding so that they can gauge and determine if they are ok with it.

4) Shift changing times are around 330 to 530 in the afternoon.

5) If you are going to pay by card and not cash, ensure their machines are working before borading.

6) Do not trust the taxi apps. At times when I cancelled the cab, they still come.

BTW, Comfort Delgro has yet to solve the issue with VISA. so if u paying with credit cards, use MasterCard.

Anyone else has any other such tips to share?

SBKS
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: All about Taxis Tips

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:57 pm

:thankyou: for the tips!

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sundaymorning » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:47 pm

Thank you for the tips, i realised after the morning peak period, the only way to get a cab is to book if not u probably gotta wait half an hour min to get one cab :(

sundaymorning
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby winchester » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:36 am

what about getting a regular cab driver? anybody has experience with that? like the guy picks up at certain time after or before work, or when sending child to / from school?

winchester
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby nms1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:39 am

The comment about the Advance Booking doesn't surprise me as they are hard to get but sometimes it's necessary.

If I have an early morning flight to catch I will usually make an advanced booking because if it rains I will have zero chance of booking a taxi with a current booking. This is one of the most frustrating things.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby amberwong » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:55 am

winchester wrote:what about getting a regular cab driver? anybody has experience with that? like the guy picks up at certain time after or before work, or when sending child to / from school?

If the taxi uncle sounds friendly, you can "test water" by asking if he usually drives around your area. If he usually drives around your area, you can ask if he does regular pick up. Used to do that for my sales job when I had to run around Tuas area :imcool:

Also, if you want to book cab, taxi uncle did tell me that the best way is to SMS. Compared to the app, I think SMS is faster and more accurate. :boogie:

amberwong
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby SBKS » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:50 pm

thanks all. its is to share share more tips.

sundaymorning wrote:Thank you for the tips, i realised after the morning peak period, the only way to get a cab is to book if not u probably gotta wait half an hour min to get one cab :(

yes. basically 1 of the driver told me that its normal behaviour. they are catering to the demand. early morning like 6+ to 7+, all will come from residential areas towards town. once they are in town, they wouldn't bother to go back residentials unless gt passenger going that way.

so more or less the trend is for drivers to go where the huge demand is.

nms1 wrote:The comment about the Advance Booking doesn't surprise me as they are hard to get but sometimes it's necessary.

If I have an early morning flight to catch I will usually make an advanced booking because if it rains I will have zero chance of booking a taxi with a current booking. This is one of the most frustrating things.

yes understand, from the customer point of view, yes, we need those. but thinking from the driver view, normally without rain advance booking already cut down their earnings as getting street hire is better. if RAINED, their hires and taxi stand queues are even longer.

so to solve ur problem, better to advance booking like 1 day ahead or as early as possible.

another issue is that for advance booking, like for example, u want a cab for 8am but the booking was made at 8pm the night before. some drivers wont accept. REASON is, its simply not their shift. those drivers that share a cab, have day and night shift normally. at 8pm, its the night shift driver who stop at maybe 7am. so 8am they dun dare to accept as its the other morning driver who is driving.

amberwong wrote:
winchester wrote:what about getting a regular cab driver? anybody has experience with that? like the guy picks up at certain time after or before work, or when sending child to / from school?

If the taxi uncle sounds friendly, you can "test water" by asking if he usually drives around your area. If he usually drives around your area, you can ask if he does regular pick up. Used to do that for my sales job when I had to run around Tuas area :imcool:

Also, if you want to book cab, taxi uncle did tell me that the best way is to SMS. Compared to the app, I think SMS is faster and more accurate. :boogie:

thanks for the tip on SMS. i nvr tried that before. Maybe I can try.
Yes, especially those that has their own network like a walkie talkie hanging at their driver's seat. I saw that on a few CDG drivers. the other smaller cab companies also has it.

If you managed to get into their network, you can sometimes call their HP and they will arrange whoever is free in their network to go pick u up if the regular driver couldn't make it.

SBKS
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby limlim » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:51 pm

SBKS wrote:Wanted to share some info that I gathered from Taxi Drivers.

3) Tell them where you are going like how many destinations before boarding so that they can gauge and determine if they are ok with it.

Anyone else has any other such tips to share?

I always do that.. :wink: But actually.. quite redundant.. bcoz, the taxi cannot refuse fares, unless, it crashes with shift change. So, tell or no tell no difference, he must still serve you.

btw, they never confess to you that when it is raining and demand is highest, most driver go and hide in kopi tiam..? :evil: now one wonder why raining always cannot get cab even if call booking.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:58 pm

well, I don't quite blame them for hiding during rain. If they kena accident, they will have to cough out 3K (or is that 1K) no matter whose fault. if it's their fault, they say bye bye to that money; if it's not their fault then the co refund to them. Something like that.

During rainy days, roads more slippery, visibility poor, so many drivers prefer to wait it out than slog it out and take chance.

I don't like those that hide in some quiet corners in Marina area, expo area waiting for calls, during non rainy days.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby SBKS » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:20 pm

limlim wrote:
I always do that.. :wink: But actually.. quite redundant.. bcoz, the taxi cannot refuse fares, unless, it crashes with shift change. So, tell or no tell no difference, he must still serve you.

btw, they never confess to you that when it is raining and demand is highest, most driver go and hide in kopi tiam..? :evil: now one wonder why raining always cannot get cab even if call booking.

they cant refuse fare? really? I didn't know that. but what I don't like is the situation where the driver will give you black face, grumbled, drive horrendously on purpose etc....if you don't tell them in advance. Simply put Buay Song.

hquek wrote:well, I don't quite blame them for hiding during rain. If they kena accident, they will have to cough out 3K (or is that 1K) no matter whose fault. if it's their fault, they say bye bye to that money; if it's not their fault then the co refund to them. Something like that.

During rainy days, roads more slippery, visibility poor, so many drivers prefer to wait it out than slog it out and take chance.

I don't like those that hide in some quiet corners in Marina area, expo area waiting for calls, during non rainy days.

Really? really learn new things about the accident monies....

thats the whole point of this thread. share about taxi drivers.

thanks all.

SBKS
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time