Toddler becomes Singapore's youngest solid organ donor

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Toddler becomes Singapore's youngest solid organ donor

Postby imwithchild » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:46 pm

Hanano Oyama (above) was found unconscious in the swimming pool at a condominium in Robertson Quay two weeks ago. Her parents allowed her organs to be removed after learning she was brain-dead on Sunday. -- PHOTOS: COURTESY OF NORIMICHI OYAMA, SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS

By Jalelah Abu Baker

In life, she was a charming toddler with an independent streak.

Now, after her tragic death in a swimming pool accident, Hanano Oyama has given hope to others as Singapore's youngest solid organ donor.

The 1 1/2-year-old's parents allowed doctors to remove her kidneys and heart valve after receiving the devastating news that she was brain-dead.

Her organs were then used to help other seriously ill patients, one of whom was a child. "The only thing keeping me going is that she has saved somebody's life," said her father, Japanese national Norimichi Oyama. "That's something I'm proud of."

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-ne ... r-20130709

imwithchild
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Toddler becomes Singapore's youngest solid organ donor

Postby tankee » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:43 pm

:udaman: to her parents

the little girl was very cute.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:49 pm

This is as heart-wrenching a story as can be. I'm not sure if I can be as strong as the parents in this case. Kudos to them for their strength and compassion for others.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby insider » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:32 pm

Rest in peace, Angel Hanano...

Source: http://news.omy.sg/News/Local-News/Sui- ... ing-182565

PS:
The Japanese seem to be of different 'make' from other human beings. They tend to be more selfless with good public spirit, even in such sorrowful time...

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:42 am

:cry: :cry: :cry:

So heartbreaking and so courageous of them.

When I am clear minded now, I can say that I would opt for organ donation as to me it means that part of the loved one lives on. But in the cusp of grief, I do not know if I can make such a decision.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby insider » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:57 am

There was a stage in my life when I was 研究ing about moments after death (for my parents as well as for myself, etc).

Then I heard and read something of this similar effect (about nobody should touch a deceased body within 8 - 12 hours after he/she passes on):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrOd68tbpRk

So, all this info troubled me a bit coz it will mean no transplants will be allowed else the deceased may end up confused, lost and perhaps led astray and cannot be reincarnated = conflict of my belief vs Buddhist teachings of some learnt monks.

Next came the 'digestion' of other Buddhist theories and I chose to fall on to the below words from Buddha:

Then the overarching principle falls in to the utmost importance of executing Compassion as a Buddhist (by actions more than words).

Therefore, the ultimate answer is just take whatever organs the doctor wants if I would to die prematurely coz nothing, incl myself, should be above the importance of Compassion.

Well, I can decide that on my own but I will not do that to my mum (anyway she's so old oredi and solid organs may not be so 'useful' anymore...). My mum is more superstitious kind and so I cannot force my own 'analysis' on her. However for my kid, I am able to 'empower' them to do the 'right' thing if situation calls for...

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:44 am

The girl is so pretty. Her parents must have been heart broken, but to think they donated her organs upon hearing their child is brain dead...it is really hard but brave for her father to think of saving others lives at that moment.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Angelight » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:05 pm

Such a lovely child! May she rest in peace in heaven, and may God bless her parents for their selfless spirit.

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:42 am

My heart breaks and weeps as I read this...

The beautiful little girl exudes so much in that smile of hers.
Gosh, she's my dragon_boi's age. :cry:

I too, cannot bring myself to think if I was going to be strong enough to make such a decision, should I be placed in a similar position. :(

Rest in peace, little Hanano. My prayers are with you...

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby insider » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:49 am

buds wrote:The beautiful little girl exudes so much in that smile of hers.
Gosh, she's my dragon_boi's age. :cry:

Buddy,

here's another sweet photograph of her carrying her Mother's Day present...

source: http://news.omy.sg/News/Local-News/Sui- ... -Zu-183349

every death tells a story and there's always lesson/s that we can learn from each...(basically she cleared off whatever little 'worries' I have about organ transplants. If Baby Hanano can do it, so can I!!)

PS:
This is the dad's interview video (got to watch that 20 odd sec ad at the beginning):

http://www.razor.tv/site/servlet/segmen ... 92348.html

Composed and spoke well...

God bless your family, Hanano Chan!

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time