Wish to work at home or part time to take care of child

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Wish to work at home or part time to take care of child

Postby anastashia » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:21 pm

Wish to seek forumers' view.

I am currently working full time. I have been wishing to work from home or to take part time job so that i can work from home to spend more time with my child.

Anyone share the same feeling as me? What kind of jobs that are available outside for part time which any of you have experience in?

anastashia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Eagle-Ladybird » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:45 pm

Some of my friends have taken up real estate agency portfolio, to allow them to have better control of their time. Something to think about

Eagle-Ladybird
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:17 pm

explore options with your current coy to let you work from home.
there isn't very much work-from-home work that is available in the market.
by working with existing coy/field, you can also maintain contacts and also knowledge of the market while you are away from the force part time. jmho.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby amylqf » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:52 pm

try to talk to your boss on your concern. It is best that the company can work out something for you.

Although there are some part-time/working from home job out there, think about it thoroughly before you quit. part-time/freelance usually low paid, do not have any benefit, holiday, medical, some even don't have cpf.

Well, I feel that there are really not many choices for stay at home mom in Singapore, compare with countries, like Australia, U.S.....

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fussyMummy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:19 am

Part time office job, the income quite little, unless you are a Secretary.. :)

Well, I also have same feeling as you, till now... :lol: Too bad I am not allow to do so as I am the financial provider of my house.. :cry:

Currently I am working nearby my house, so I spent little time on journey and can back home earlier, so able to spent little more time with them.

I do see some of them become tuition teacher, property agency... Why not discuss with your hubby that you wish to stop for few years to take care of your child and get a solution from there...

Good luck :celebrate:

fussyMummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:43 am

I requested for lighter workload at my fulltime job.

I get to spend time with my boy in the afternoon and give tuition during evenings when my boy is attending his enrichment classes or spending 'alone time' with my hb :)

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Wish to work at home or part time to take care of child

Postby qms » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:07 am

anastashia wrote:I am currently working full time. I have been wishing to work from home or to take part time job so that i can work from home to spend more time with my child.

You should be applauded for willing to make such sacrifice for your child. :udawoman: Your child will appreciate this.

My husband had to go for a six-month sabbatical in 2006. At that time, I just joined my current company for less than a year. Lucky for me, I had an understanding and appreciative boss and he offered me part-time work. I ended up working part-time from UK for six months. It was possible because of the nature of my work.

Hence, consider the nature of your work, your boss, your performance, etc. You may be able to work something out with your boss so that you can spend more time with your child.

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby EN » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:59 am

I requested for lighter workload at my fulltime job.

Same here. It takes 10 months of pain but now I see a tiny pinhole light at the end of a tunnel. :lol: Just gotten extra 2 headcounts to unburden part of my responsibility.

With dd sitting for PSLE in 2 years time, it is time for me to write to the management to convince them to allow sabatical leaves. At the moment, the option is nil. I am also part of the financial provider at home and supporting my parents. Discuss with dh if my saving reach a certain amount, I am allowed to take sabatical leave for 3 months to concentrate on my dd.

Used to be able to work from home twice a week. Change of boss, mean I need to be present in the office daily now. But I do know some department which are not very sticky about coming into the office. So, I am watching out for any vacancy.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby anastashia » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:56 pm

yeah.. heart ache to come back home spend time with my girl only for about 1-2 hours and weekends/pub holidays.

I realise I haven't been able to properly nurture her the way how i want her to be as she's with my helper. E.g. i want her to speak more mandarin but as she spends most of the time with my helper, she's speaking English more than Mandarin. Natural.

Plus with the baby coming, felt it's just time to spend more time with my kids, if God willing.

Thinking of asking my current co to work part time. Just that wondering whether there are other alternatives like part time lecturing. Any idea how's the market rate like for part time lecturing in Poly?

anastashia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mathsparks » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:34 am

hi anastashia,
No harm trying the polys for contract lecturing positions. Check out their web. A friend of mine teaches part time at TP. But I'm not sure how's the pay.

There're other options like relief teaching (details on moe web), ITE night classes, CDAC tuition etc.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time