Bl**dy shameful! National Library Board & MICA's big Boo-Boo

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve

Bl**dy shameful! National Library Board & MICA's big Boo-Boo

Postby chenwj » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:00 pm

I disagree with our NLB for accepting these ebook readers donated by the U.S embassy. By accepting these donations, the NLB has admitted that Singapore libraries are inadequate. As a proud Singaporean and library user, I feel embarrassed that we have reached the level of "accepting donations" from the U.S since our libraries are so well equipped.

Are we part of the African continent?

Why not just cut the pay of the elite PAP Ministers and use the cut to pay for the devices instead? ... 36706.html

US Embassy donates 400 eReaders to NLB

SINGAPORE - The US Embassy in Singapore has donated to 400 eReaders to the National Library Board (NLB).

The eReaders that can be found in Geylang East, Toa Payoh, Jurong West and Ang Mo Kio libraries, are now available for loan.

The availability of these devices at the 4 libraries, now allows the loan of eDevices at 6 different libraries around the island. This is part of the NLB's efforts to help bridge the digital divide among Singaporeans.

NLB will also be organising workshops where borrowers can learn how to use the device and access NLB's eBooks.

NLB has also extended the loan period of its eDevices from the original two weeks, to three weeks, to align it with the loan period of eBooks.

The expansion of the eDevice loan service to the 4 public libraries was officiated on Friday by Dr Fatimah Lateef, Member of Parliament for the Marine Parade Group Representation Constituency (GRC).

Mrs Elaine Ng, Chief Executive Officer of NLB said, "We deeply appreciate this generous donation by the Embassy of the United States.

"It will certainly benefit Singaporeans especially those who do not have the means to own such electronic devices to access our vast collection of eBooks.

"These eReaders will appeal to our library patrons of all ages, from students to senior citizens, where they can read at their own leisure and convenience."

Mr Louis Mazel, Charge d'Affaires, Embassy of the US, Singapore said, "It is our privilege to continue contributing resources to one of our best partners in Singapore, the National Library Board, to help benefit those in need.

"These eReaders will benefit library patrons and can be used to check out thousands of titles from anywhere with a wireless connection."

Re: Bl**dy shameful! National Library Board & MICA's big Boo

Postby SAHM_TAN » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:08 pm

I see nothing wrong in accepting the donation.

I'm never too proud to accept help.

Postby keroppi » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:11 pm

I thought it was a rather nice gesture from the US.

Postby sparks » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:26 pm

I hope more companies, organisations even individuals will do the same & come forward with such donations.

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:32 pm

Err... got money take lor. It's just a nice friendly gesture by a good friend.

And don't be too hung up with labelling. Remember how Singapore tried its hardest to avoid being named a developed country, just so we can continue to retain trade privileges? If people want to think we are stupid, let them, as long as we get to benefit from the situation.

Consider this little story:

Little Benny's friends love to make fun of him. "Stupid Benny," was what they called him. They would offer him a 50cent coin and a dollar, and he will invariably take the coin. So they will laugh and call him stupid again and again.

When his father heard about it, he called Benny over and had a heart-to-heart talk. "Benny, don't you know that $1 is worth more than 50 cents?"
"Yes, Daddy," was the reply.
"So why do you keep taking the 50 cents coin?"
"Well, if I take the dollar, they would stop giving me money. I've already gotten $10 from them."

Site Admin
1 people like this post

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:44 pm

It takes more intelligence to let others think you are stupid.

Postby Funz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:10 pm

It is good to feel proud of what we have and what we have achieved. But beware the slippery road called Pride. Should we be so prideful that we cannot accept a generous and gracious gesture?

Postby iFirefly » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:16 pm

Accepting donation does not mean our libraries are ill-equipped..
Indeed, a nice gesture by the US.. Would be rude for NLB to reject.. :smile:

Postby teaberry » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:53 pm

Nothing to fret over this as it is no issue at all.

If the US is so gracious to donate those ebook readers to us, then we must be gracious enough to accept their kind offer with thanksgiving.

It's all about diplomacy.

Of course, Singapore must reciprocate in kind and help other needy nations as well.

Postby blueblue » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:26 pm

I too see no problem in accepting.

It will benefit us. Why not?

Return to Recess Time