Move House, Then Ask For Transfer OK?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Move House, Then Ask For Transfer OK?

Postby titank » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:44 am

Hi All,

Let's say if I happended to shift house where next to NYPS, HPPS, FMPS, TNS etc etc where like in the 1km, 1-2 Km etc.

So I have to approach the school & ask whether is there a place for me to get in? I mean transfer in? Or I should ask MOE instead.

Anyone have any experiences or advices to share?

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Move House, Then Ask For Transfer OK?

Postby mrswongtuition » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:43 pm

titank wrote:Hi All,

Let's say if I happended to shift house where next to NYPS, HPPS, FMPS, TNS etc etc where like in the 1km, 1-2 Km etc.

So I have to approach the school & ask whether is there a place for me to get in? I mean transfer in? Or I should ask MOE instead.

Anyone have any experiences or advices to share?

You need to approach the school. If there is vacancy, the acceptance of a student is up to their discretion. They can ask your child to take an entrance test before they decide.

I know Marymount Convent requires the students to take an entrance test as I've personally prepared local students who just came back from overseas for the test. Their parents went overseas to work & now decided to come back to SG for their kid's education but they were already lagging behind as the syllabus is totally different & they did not attend international school overseas. She was 9yo, needed to take P3 EOY exam paper for English & Maths to get into P4 the following year. Thankfully, she scored 80+ for both subjects after 2 months of intensive tuition (4 times a week, 2 hr per session and I had to teach her everything from scratch!). I saw alot of other kids taking the same papers also, they are from other schools, seeking to transfer into Marymount.

You intend to move?

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby titank » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:23 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:You need to approach the school. If there is vacancy, the acceptance of a student is up to their discretion. They can ask your child to take an entrance test before they decide.

I know Marymount Convent requires the students to take an entrance test as I've personally prepared local students who just came back from overseas for the test. Their parents went overseas to work & now decided to come back to SG for their kid's education but they were already lagging behind as the syllabus is totally different & they did not attend international school overseas. She was 9yo, needed to take P3 EOY exam paper for English & Maths to get into P4 the following year. Thankfully, she scored 80+ for both subjects after 2 months of intensive tuition (4 times a week, 2 hr per session and I had to teach her everything from scratch!). I saw alot of other kids taking the same papers also, they are from other schools, seeking to transfer into Marymount.

You intend to move?

Wow quite dangerous if after I shifted then no place from the school!

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:46 pm

The lady who bought my mum's old house at Marine parade told us that she approached TNS to transfer her P4 son. They told her that there is no place at all so she can drop them from her list.

She was upset with their arrogance. Her son is now in Tanjong Katong Primary.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby titank » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:05 pm

MMM wrote:The lady who bought my mum's old house at Marine parade told us that she approached TNS to transfer her P4 son. They told her that there is no place at all so she can drop them from her list.

She was upset with their arrogance. Her son is now in Tanjong Katong Primary.

TNS like 'YaYa Papaya"? Wow I better think twice to shift!

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby watmekiasu » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:14 pm

My dd transferred to Marymount at P2 - no test. I think the main criteria is strong results in your academics or a special talent. Apart from P1 registration, most schools do not give priority to distance from home to school. At the end of the last school term, MOE does give a form to students who wish to transfer to schools nearer to their homes. However, it is up to the school the type of student they wish to accept. Hence, if it is a popular school, you can basically forget going in through this way.

watmekiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby qms » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:15 pm

titank wrote:Wow quite dangerous if after I shifted then no place from the school!

Hi Titank!

I think this is the risk you have to bear, especially if you are moving near to a popular school.

Besides, any property near to a popular school won't come cheap either.

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby Poonie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:41 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:You need to approach the school. If there is vacancy, the acceptance of a student is up to their discretion. They can ask your child to take an entrance test before they decide.

You intend to move?

Hi mrswongtuition
Could you kindly share which country the kid was residing in? I am interested to know as I am considering sending my kids to a local school in China partly due to budget constraint and partly want to expose them to a chinese environment. I am in a dilemma as I am also worried that they will lag behind other kids when they come back after a few years.

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:31 pm

Poonie wrote:Hi mrswongtuition
Could you kindly share which country the kid was residing in? I am interested to know as I am considering sending my kids to a local school in China partly due to budget constraint and partly want to expose them to a chinese environment. I am in a dilemma as I am also worried that they will lag behind other kids when they come back after a few years.

They were in London. The girl could speak good English but could not recognise and spell alot of words. She was also not used to the test papers as they do not have such written tests at their level back in London.

If you are intending to let your kids attend the local school in China, I would suggest you purchase SG textbooks/workbooks/assessment books to coach on your own so that your child will not be 'lost' when you come back.

Watmekiasu, maybe for lower primary no need entrance test? This student of mine is now in P4, she just took the test last year during end October. Nerve wreaking for her as it's her FIRST proper test/exam ever!

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Poonie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:11 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:They were in London. The girl could speak good English but could not recognise and spell alot of words. She was also not used to the test papers as they do not have such written tests at their level back in London.

If you are intending to let your kids attend the local school in China, I would suggest you purchase SG textbooks/workbooks/assessment books to coach on your own so that your child will not be 'lost' when you come back.

Watmekiasu, maybe for lower primary no need entrance test? This student of mine is now in P4, she just took the test last year during end October. Nerve wreaking for her as it's her FIRST proper test/exam ever!

Thank you. :)

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Recess Time