my experience of looking for a tutor

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

my experience of looking for a tutor

Postby kiasumummy_daddy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:12 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I would like to share my experience about looking for a tutor. Recently I'm looking for a tutor for my eldest daughter online. Received some nonsense sms-es as well. Would like to share one.

Tutor: Hi, Jon here. Regards your tuition needs. My company specializes in teaching USA/UK English to China students (professors, doctors, lawyers). Does your P5 daughter have good mastery of any mother tongue? If the student has good proficiency in a mother tongue, I can train perfect proficiency in English within 12 months.
Me: We're local, looking for female tutor, thanks (I'm sincerely looking for a female tutor, as during the daytime, only the maid, kids and my elderly mother is home, therefore my husband and I feel safer if is a female)
Tutor: My wife is in UK with a client (family of 6, 4 kids). Our client have annual household income of $1.2 million and above.
Me: Hmm (I really regret replying even 1 word. He never STOP)
Tutor: Problem is we've been serving foreign clients, and singaporeans are left out. Parents master language within 12 months, so they can enjoy teaching their children thereafter. Just curious, but is it a singaporean national pride thing to speak Singlish and Singnese. We stay in xxxxx, so I thought we could afford cost price or pro bono. Hoping to create more singaporean teachers.

(I don't know about you readers, but I feel the insult starts here. I don't know where this guy is from, but he speaks too proudly of himself. )

Me: Maybe the next time when you are promoting your service, can just say you're only interested in teaching foreigners, and Singlish irks you.
Tutor: (2 minutes interval) I personally train USA managers Singlish so they can blend in here. My wife is the one who can't do Singlish. Hmm...
Tutor: As I said, I'm not promoting our services. I charge $300-500K for 3 months. I'm offering u a service because you are in xxxxxx. Are singaporeans actually shy to speak Singlish in front of international audiences? USA managers actually love to learn it.

(I intend to ignore his ridiculous sms, , but he really never stop)

Tutor: (13 minutes later) Not interested? Ok, I rescind my offer. But u r free to talk to our previous clients at their house (just to confirm they don't earn less than $1 mil annually).
Me: Ya, don't think I can afford your service, household income only $1K monthly. I also don't want to bother millionaires LAH. TANK YOU HUH
Him: Sigh. Its not how much u currently earn. A person's real worth is in her courage, the ability to change the world, to adapt. The first favor u need to do yourself is to stop being a cynic. Believe in yourself. Top foreign managers often find singaporeans too timid, scared lose, scared to make mistake. Exercise your mind to assess products around you. The rich and powerful are not always correct.
Him: Humbly "steal" all worthwhile lessons around u, Bill Gates, even from beggars.
Him: I rescind my offer solely because u weren't enthusiastic about helping yourself.

I stopped replying to his sms after the 1st few. But I wonder if anybody else encounter such problems. His number about 9xxxx450.
Just sharing. Have a great weekend ahead! :imcool:

kiasumummy_daddy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: my experience of looking for a tutor

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:32 pm

kiasumummy_daddy wrote:Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I would like to share my experience about looking for a tutor. Recently I'm looking for a tutor for my eldest daughter online. Received some nonsense sms-es as well. Would like to share one.

Tutor: Hi, Jon here. Regards your tuition needs. My company specializes in teaching USA/UK English to China students (professors, doctors, lawyers). Does your P5 daughter have good mastery of any mother tongue? If the student has good proficiency in a mother tongue, I can train perfect proficiency in English within 12 months.
Me: We're local, looking for female tutor, thanks (I'm sincerely looking for a female tutor, as during the daytime, only the maid, kids and my elderly mother is home, therefore my husband and I feel safer if is a female)
Tutor: My wife is in UK with a client (family of 6, 4 kids). Our client have annual household income of $1.2 million and above.
Me: Hmm (I really regret replying even 1 word. He never STOP)
Tutor: Problem is we've been serving foreign clients, and singaporeans are left out. Parents master language within 12 months, so they can enjoy teaching their children thereafter. Just curious, but is it a singaporean national pride thing to speak Singlish and Singnese. We stay in xxxxx, so I thought we could afford cost price or pro bono. Hoping to create more singaporean teachers.

(I don't know about you readers, but I feel the insult starts here. I don't know where this guy is from, but he speaks too proudly of himself. )

Me: Maybe the next time when you are promoting your service, can just say you're only interested in teaching foreigners, and Singlish irks you.
Tutor: (2 minutes interval) I personally train USA managers Singlish so they can blend in here. My wife is the one who can't do Singlish. Hmm...
Tutor: As I said, I'm not promoting our services. I charge $300-500K for 3 months. I'm offering u a service because you are in xxxxxx. Are singaporeans actually shy to speak Singlish in front of international audiences? USA managers actually love to learn it.

(I intend to ignore his ridiculous sms, , but he really never stop)

Tutor: (13 minutes later) Not interested? Ok, I rescind my offer. But u r free to talk to our previous clients at their house (just to confirm they don't earn less than $1 mil annually).
Me: Ya, don't think I can afford your service, household income only $1K monthly. I also don't want to bother millionaires LAH. TANK YOU HUH
Him: Sigh. Its not how much u currently earn. A person's real worth is in her courage, the ability to change the world, to adapt. The first favor u need to do yourself is to stop being a cynic. Believe in yourself. Top foreign managers often find singaporeans too timid, scared lose, scared to make mistake. Exercise your mind to assess products around you. The rich and powerful are not always correct.
Him: Humbly "steal" all worthwhile lessons around u, Bill Gates, even from beggars.
Him: I rescind my offer solely because u weren't enthusiastic about helping yourself.

I stopped replying to his sms after the 1st few. But I wonder if anybody else encounter such problems. His number about 9xxxx450.
Just sharing. Have a great weekend ahead! :imcool:

:rotflmao: That's a sales guy. Or maybe a motivational coach. Or both. Or anything but an educator. I think it is fortunate you uncovered him before he continued to lead you on!

If you found him from one of those random postings here, send us his username and we'll terminate his account.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Geraldinelim » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:41 am

that guy definitely sound like a con.

Thanks Chief!
Geraldinelim
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Busymom » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:47 am

:rotflmao: