Any coin collectors here?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Post Reply
slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 11231
Joined: Wed Sep 15,
Total Likes:209

Any coin collectors here?

Post by slmkhoo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:16 pm

I have quite a few CNY "animal" $10 coins from my mil. Does anyone know what the value of these coins might be? Any way to get them valued? I am thinking of selling them as we have no interest in collecting. Thanks!

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4591
Joined: Wed Oct 24,
Total Likes:122

Re: Any coin collectors here?

Post by pirated » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:27 pm

slmkhoo wrote:I have quite a few CNY "animal" $10 coins from my mil. Does anyone know what the value of these coins might be? Any way to get them valued? I am thinking of selling them as we have no interest in collecting. Thanks!


I offer to buy them from you at 10% premium above face value.....are they gold bullion coins ?

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 6939
Joined: Mon Aug 02,
Total Likes:108

Re: Any coin collectors here?

Post by limlim » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:24 pm

Gold coin?

coolbreeze
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Oct 04,

Re: Any coin collectors here?

Post by coolbreeze » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:40 pm

Do u hv any fr 2004, Monkey year?

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4711
Joined: Mon Jul 02,
Total Likes:173

Re: Any coin collectors here?

Post by pirate » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:50 pm

Value depends on whether they are "proof" or "uncirculated" coins. Proofs are more expensive. Check out eBay to see what people are selling them for.


slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 11231
Joined: Wed Sep 15,
Total Likes:209

Re: Any coin collectors here?

Post by slmkhoo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:49 am

pirate wrote:Value depends on whether they are "proof" or "uncirculated" coins. Proofs are more expensive. Check out eBay to see what people are selling them for.

Sorry, what's the difference and how do I tell? I'm a total newcomer to this.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 11231
Joined: Wed Sep 15,
Total Likes:209

Re: Any coin collectors here?

Post by slmkhoo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:51 am

coolbreeze wrote:Do u hv any fr 2004, Monkey year?

I need to check. Will get back to you later. Unlikely though, as my mil passed away before then.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 11231
Joined: Wed Sep 15,
Total Likes:209

Re: Any coin collectors here?

Post by slmkhoo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:51 am

pirated wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:I have quite a few CNY "animal" $10 coins from my mil. Does anyone know what the value of these coins might be? Any way to get them valued? I am thinking of selling them as we have no interest in collecting. Thanks!


I offer to buy them from you at 10% premium above face value.....are they gold bullion coins ?

I think they are the basic copper-nickel coins.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4711
Joined: Mon Jul 02,
Total Likes:173

Re: Any coin collectors here?

Post by pirate » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:51 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
pirate wrote:Value depends on whether they are "proof" or "uncirculated" coins. Proofs are more expensive. Check out eBay to see what people are selling them for.

Sorry, what's the difference and how do I tell? I'm a total newcomer to this.

Proofs usually come in a nice plush box, plus a certificate that says "Proof". :laugh:

Unless somebody threw away the box and certificate :slapshead: , then it will take quite a bit of saying to tell you the difference, because it will depend on which era your animal coins are from - first series (1981-1992), second series (1993-2004) or third (2005- ).

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 11231
Joined: Wed Sep 15,
Total Likes:209

Re: Any coin collectors here?

Post by slmkhoo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:17 pm

pirate wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:
pirate wrote:Value depends on whether they are "proof" or "uncirculated" coins. Proofs are more expensive. Check out eBay to see what people are selling them for.

Sorry, what's the difference and how do I tell? I'm a total newcomer to this.

Proofs usually come in a nice plush box, plus a certificate that says "Proof". :laugh:

Unless somebody threw away the box and certificate :slapshead: , then it will take quite a bit of saying to tell you the difference, because it will depend on which era your animal coins are from - first series (1981-1992), second series (1993-2004) or third (2005- ).

Oh dear! Is there a shop that I can go to and get an assessment? The ones I have come in little red boxes/cases but have no cert. They are from the first series. I also have a set of Singapore coins in a red case dated 1987 and a few commorative coins of various types. What I basically want to know is whether they have a resale value? The coins are only sitting around forgotten in a box and I would prefer to sell them if possible. Thanks!

Post Reply