Should We Label Kids as 'Stupid' and 'Blur Sotong'?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Should We Label Kids as 'Stupid' and 'Blur Sotong'?

Postby Louis.L » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:46 pm

This incident happened recently as I was waiting at the bus stop outside a primary school in Marine Terrace. Three pupils, obviously from the nearby school, judging from the uniform they were wearing, approached the bus stop and waited for their bus.

As they waited, they chatted amongst themselves. Within a span of 5 minutes, I heard the word ‘stupid’ used several times. What shocked me was the ease and spontaneity at which the word was used, like punctuation marks in a sentence.

Unable to tolerate anymore, I asked them why they like to use this word ‘stupid’ so much. Their answer was so spontaneous. They replied that their teacher always called them ‘stupid’. They even added that she also frequently called them ‘blur sotong’.

I felt sorry for them that they should be labeled in such a negative manner so young in life. The urge in me to stop these vulnerable and impressionable minds from further verbal abuse was too strong to curb, I had to ask them, “Who’s your teacher?” Innocently and without hesitation, they blurted out in unison, “Mrs Mohammad.” Just then, before I could say anything, their bus, Number 13 came and they boarded and left.

This incident makes me really wonder, what is becoming of our education system? Are we nurturing young minds? I also wonder how many kids have to go through the hands of teachers such as Mrs Mohammad, labeled in this negative way in their minds, brainwashing them that they are stupid for life.

We need to have a more holistic approach to education, bearing in mind that education is not just imparting skills and knowledge. They may be slow to understand, true, but wasn’t Albert Einstein the genius also a slow learner?

We should stop verbal abuse of kids, (parents included) and adopt a more positive approach to educate the young as after all, children of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Teachers play an important role in moulding the future of our nation. I thank God I was fortunate enough to have caring teachers who never abuse their pupils verbally or any other way.

Louis.L
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mathsparks » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:59 pm

tsk..tsk..tsk...Just send this link to the principalof the 3 schools in Marine Terrace and hear what they have to say? :wink:

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby FMz » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:49 am

even in pre-school. I already hear loads of such liao.

FMz
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MLR » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:04 pm

I take a bus route that passes thru a primary school and a secondary school during working days. Some of the stuff that sprouts from the students just make me fall off my seat. The pri school children uses "stupid", "dumb", "shit", "a*s", sometimes even "f**k" freely and as a way of expression, eg. "thats dumb/stupid" "you are acting like a**", "what the f*** you saying", etc.
Once I asked a group of them that I meet almost daily, and they said "everyone speaks like dat what, but we don't write like dat lah".

The sec school kids uses these words even more freely, with some new way of using them, eg, "hey b**ch, what you do this weekend" (this is a boy asking another boy), to which he replied "a**h**e, nothing lah, you plan anything?" These kids are surely immitating the "gangsta" lingo in rap and such....

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Should We Label Kids as ‘Stupid’ and ‘Blur Sotong

Postby skunk » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:19 pm

Louis.L wrote: I also wonder how many kids have to go through the hands of teachers such as Mrs Mohammad, labeled in this negative way in their minds, brainwashing them that they are stupid for life.

I'm not saying we should use the word "stupid" casually, but just as the word exists for a reason, we should tolerate the use of the word in the appropriate circumstances.

If a child has been instructed not to run across a road, but still does it, is it ok to scold the action as a stupid one? Someone who does a stupid action, is it a stupid person?

If a person is so easily brainwashed into thinking he/she is stupid, just because a teacher says so, maybe we should also examine the way we bring up our kids. Everyone has a mouth and is entitled to say what they want, regardless of whether it's right or wrong, we have a choice to react in the way we want. I think it's equally important we teach children that some people (like me, incidentally lol) are harsher people, some people more gentle, some ruder, some more polite, they must never allow mere words and opinions to influence or shape them easily.

skunk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby skunk » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:22 pm

MLR wrote:I take a bus route that passes thru a primary school and a secondary school during working days. Some of the stuff that sprouts from the students just make me fall off my seat. The pri school children uses "stupid", "dumb", "shit", "a*s", sometimes even "f**k" freely and as a way of expression, eg. "thats dumb/stupid" "you are acting like a**", "what the f*** you saying", etc.
Once I asked a group of them that I meet almost daily, and they said "everyone speaks like dat what, but we don't write like dat lah".

The sec school kids uses these words even more freely, with some new way of using them, eg, "hey b**ch, what you do this weekend" (this is a boy asking another boy), to which he replied "a**h**e, nothing lah, you plan anything?" These kids are surely immitating the "gangsta" lingo in rap and such....

what's new? Rude cave drawings dating from Cro-Mangon Man period has been found. Rudeness has been around for a long time LOL

skunk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:45 pm

Just to share my experience with 'vulgarities'.

I came from a christian school & family that did not tolerate any form of vulgarity. Not even 'shit' or 'stupid' or 'idiot'.

Till today, my stand is still the same. When I went to a new school this year, I was shocked at how vulgarities punctuated sentences! But I stood firm & corrected the kids. After a while, they realised that they cannot use such words, especially around me, and I stopped hearing them so often (but it does not mean they do not use them).

I ever got responses like 'my father scolds even more vulgarities than I do, what's the problem?' or 'it's normal what, movies also say it'. It's not only teachers who play a part, parents play a part too.

By the way, I must confess that I do use the word 'stupid' with my students. But it's not to label them, it's to remind them that they are NOT stupid because sometimes they keep calling themselves stupid!

FMz, you are right. I heard teachers using 'stupid' & 'idiot' at preschools that I've visited during my 'hunt' for a suitable preschool. My son's current childcare is very particular about the use of such words & I have no worries. But we are switching him to a proper kindergarten since we do not need the CC facilities anymore.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby skunk » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:07 pm

forgeddit lol

skunk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MLR » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

skunk wrote:
MLR wrote:I take a bus route that passes thru a primary school and a secondary school during working days. Some of the stuff that sprouts from the students just make me fall off my seat. The pri school children uses "stupid", "dumb", "shit", "a*s", sometimes even "f**k" freely and as a way of expression, eg. "thats dumb/stupid" "you are acting like a**", "what the f*** you saying", etc.

what's new? Rude cave drawings dating from Cro-Mangon Man period has been found. Rudeness has been around for a long time LOL

No, its not that its rude, its just that these lingos are now a norm to be use as everyday conversation amongst them.... I am just disturbed about them saying these words thinking its cool to speak in such a manner, cool to be crude? To be called a b*tc*/a**ho** by your friend/classmate? There are trends and then there are trends that are just wrong. Its like Paris Hilton coins "Its hot/ Thats hot" so its ok to say "its dumb/stupid/idiot/a**" and such????

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tutormum » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:50 pm

It's the herd instinct and these kids think that it's cool and show that they are in the gang. It's the responsibility of all parents and educators to correct them and show them how wrong they are. I'm very firm on such matters and in fact if the kid is smart, he won't use such derogatory words. :P I even taught them not to be the receiving end of such language. If their friends do not know how to speak respectfully to them, don't consider them as friends. For parents who use it on their kids, you do not know the damage you will do to them. Your words will become a self-filled prophecy in time to come. Do you really want a stupid kid?

Let me share a true story.
I have had a P3 student who was very poor in her studies, having failed all her subjects since she started school. One day, she looked at me in the eyes and said "Teacher, I am very stupid." I was shocked and asked her why cos I've never believed that any student should be labeled so no matter how badly they do in school. Her reply was very sad. "My mum said that I'm stupid cos I've never passed my exams. So I guess I'm stupid and will never amount to anything." I told her that I thought otherwise and encouraged her to work towards changing her mother's attitude towards her by proving that she was wrong. She has an elder sister who was doing well in school and her mother was obviously biased. Imagine her mother making remarks such as XXX is so clever and YYY is so stupid all the time. This student got the shorter end of the stick, getting blamed and flamed by her mother and lived with ridicule and bullying from her elder sister. However, she was determined to work hard, putting long hours in improving herself and her grades steadily improved. She managed to get into the Express stream - a feat that nobody believed that she was able to. Over the years, her mother's attitude changed as she proved to her mother that not only she can do well academically, she is also sensible and upright in her character. On the other hand, her elder sister behaves like the spoilt brat and perform worse over the years due to complacency. One day, my student secretly told me that her mother realised her foolishness and regretted the way she treated her children based on their academic performance/perceived intelligence. :roll:

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time