3 girls who shaved head bald for charity told to wear wigs

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

3 girls who shaved head bald for charity told to wear wigs

Postby elkniwt » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:24 pm

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-ne ... s-20130802

When 15-year-old Leia Lai and two of her classmates went back to school on Monday, they sported a new look - bald.

The three St Margaret's Secondary School students had cut their hair to raise funds for a cancer charity.

But this drew the ire of their principal, as they had not donned wigs, as they had promised earlier.

The school's rules do not allow "punk, unfeminine or sloppy hairstyles". Said principal Marion Tan: "It's very clear in our mission: it's about their turnout as a young lady."

And if the girls were allowed to go bald, others might take advantage.

"Can you imagine if I were to say yes, I'd have everybody coming to school with a bald head. Sometimes it's a fad, so they would take advantage of the situation."

A group of five girls had asked for permission to take part in last Saturday's Hair for Hope event to raise funds for the Children's Cancer Foundation, and all five had promised to wear a wig. But only two of the five Secondary 3 students kept their word.

So the other three were called out of class and taken by a parent volunteer to buy wigs that cost around $70 each. The principal said promises made should be kept.

But the students and parents, including Leia's mother Emily Chia, argued that covering up was against the spirit of Hair for Hope.

Said Madam Chia, 41: "The purpose of Hair for Hope is to show children with cancer that it's okay to be bald."

Mr Wong Choon Yew, the father of Cherry Wong - one of the three students - said he respected the principal's wishes. "Whatever the girls have agreed, they have to abide by."

But the 44-year-old pastor also said the shorn pates "are public testimony that shows support and raises awareness of cancer patients to their schoolmates".

Three other schools, whose female students took part in Hair for Hope, told The Straits Times that students were allowed to go bald.

As for Leia and Cherry, they have been allowed to go to school bald. But only because of doctors' notes certifying they had rashes on their heads from wearing wigs.

elkniwt
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: 3 girls who shaved head bald for charity told to wear wi

Postby Mawar » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:41 pm

Have been thinking about this issue for quite awhile. Still cannot recognize if shaving one's hair is the best way to show support or raise awareness. I know it's to highlight the chemo survivor's experience, but I still wonder. If it's for religious purposes, I can accept. It's just me I guess.

Back to the principal and the school's stand. If the students agreed to don wigs, they should try to hold up their side of the bargain. Don't make the school and principal look bad, it's not as if the latter didn't support the original cause. That's a different issue. Long hair, short hair, no hair ... refer to school's position please. Else junk the uniform altogether.

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:03 pm

:yikes: Then go bald for what?

Seriously, the principal thinks it is a fad to go bald or fears that it will become a fad amongst students this age? It takes great courage for girls to go totally bald, and I have contemplated, but never had to courage to do it.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Mawar wrote:Have been thinking about this issue for quite awhile. Still cannot recognize if shaving one's hair is the best way to show support or raise awareness. I know it's to highlight the chemo survivor's experience, but I still wonder. If it's for religious purposes, I can accept. It's just me I guess.

Back to the principal and the school's stand. If the students agreed to don wigs, they should try to hold up their side of the bargain. Don't make the school and principal look bad, it's not as if the latter didn't support the original cause. That's a different issue. Long hair, short hair, no hair ... refer to school's position please. Else junk the uniform altogether.

Agreed.

Why couldn't they just have cut to a short bob? If you ask me it was a deliberate ploy on the part of the students.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:09 pm

3Boys wrote:
Mawar wrote:Have been thinking about this issue for quite awhile. Still cannot recognize if shaving one's hair is the best way to show support or raise awareness. I know it's to highlight the chemo survivor's experience, but I still wonder. If it's for religious purposes, I can accept. It's just me I guess.

Agreed.

Why couldn't they just have cut to a short bob? If you ask me it was a deliberate ploy on the part of the students.

Maybe later they realized wearing wigs was a greater pain than going bald? Hmm, I suppose either way, they will have to learn what the cancer patients have to endure...

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:15 pm

concern2 wrote:
3Boys wrote:
Agreed.

Maybe later they realized wearing wigs was a greater pain than going bald? Hmm, I suppose either way, they will have to learn what the cancer patients have to endure...

Haha! That's one way to look at it!

It may not be a fad.....

HOWEVER, there will be some students who will use this as a way of showing rebellion against authority. Principal say cannot, so I find some way to undermine her authority and make her look foolish.

Should not be stood for.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:23 pm

I agree that promise must be kept and wearing a wig is also experiencing what cancer patients have to endure.

But i fails to see the point on ... Bald = unfeminine or unladylike. I have seen some very feminine bald ladies.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby jtoh » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:31 pm

Hair for Hope is to raise awareness for cancer sufferers. I think it's a brave move by the girls to shave their heads to raise funds for Children's Cancer Foundation. Making the girls don wigs is going against the objective of Hair for Hope, which is that "every shaven head is an understanding by the individual of the ordeals that a child with cancer is subjected to." http://www.hairforhope.org.sg/

But as the girls have agreed to the condition, they should uphold their end of the bargain. However, I do not agree with the Principal's reason, that if she allows this one time, some St Margaret's girls will take advantage of the situation to come to school in punk bald fashion. Surely one can distinguish between an altruistic move and an attempt at trying to break the school rules.

If the school is so against an uprising of bald heads, then perhaps they could have suggested alternative means to which the girls could have shown their support to CCF without shaving their heads. Raise funds and create awareness of the cause via other means. The girls could still have achieved their objective and the school would not need to worry about setting a precedent of punk heads in school.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tankee » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:34 pm

Maybe that's why they did not wear wig. Now it is covered in the newspaper and widely discussed in forums, the awareness level is definitely rise.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby ammonite » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:53 pm

The students should keep to their promises. But the principal missed a very valuable teaching moment and revealed her prejudices. Even if the girls did that out of rebellion, a savvier leader will take the chance to reframe it in a positive light and turn the situation around.

But seriously...wear a wig after shaving hair to show support... :skeptical: kinda defeats the original purpose doesn't it?

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time