Is your child a cry-baby?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Is your child a cry-baby?

Postby smurf » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:00 pm

DS2 cries a lot. Just now he refused to nap, so I put him into play-yard (with 2 boxes of toys). he continued crying for about 1.5 hr. If I didn't come out to see him, he will continue to cry. He can cry NON-STOP, and I meant NON STOP. not even stopping to take a breath..this kind of scenario can occur 3-5 times in a day. and it's driving me crazy.

so, I label him cry-baby. He likes crying, dun give him what he wants, he cries, give him what he wants, when he wants more, he also cries. he can't wait, if u promise to give him something and he cannot have it NOW, he cries.

if crying can stop, never mind. but he can go on crying NON STOP, and honestly, I dunno how long he can cry, cos usually I would surrender before he stop crying. usually after 2 hrs.

he is 18 mth by the way.

:cry:

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:58 pm

It might be because he's frustrated as he can't express himself. My boy went through that stage too, but once we realise it (within a few days), we taught him to sign. There are pros & cons to signing with babies, so we quickly made sure he was able to communicate with us verbally.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:49 am

smurf, think this sounds like terrible two. Seems that your child knows that by crying non-stop he will get what he wants. My ds was like that too around that age. He can cry for 45 minutes to 1.5 hours non-stop. He will roll on the floor, wailing. I ignored him but ensuring there were no sharp corners that will hurt him while he was busy rolling, screaming and crying on the floor. Satisfied that he will not be hurt, I walk away, ignore his "demand". Mind you my child can talk by that age but when he can't get his way, he will succumb to such antics.

Ever, when I walk away, he stop his tantrums after half an hour and walk to me asking for a hug. As soon as I hug him, he drop on the floor and continue wailing. Well, I walk away again. I never gives in and his tantrum stops a month after enduring his antics.

He is still a cry baby. Not the tantrum kind. With strangers or when he is hurt or unhappy in school, he brings back his sorrow at home. Ever his teacher scolded him for the missing homework. Even after explanation, the teacher disbelief him, he just re-work on the homework. I came back home after my business trip 2 days later, just one look at his face, I simply ask what's wrong. There he pours his heart out, weeping on what has happened in school.

He kept his room clean all the time. DH thought of cozying up on his bed, just plop himself in ds bed and at the same time ds was shouting no, no, no. Again, he cries saying that dh will make his bed dirty and will make his bed smell different.

There are other things that makes him cry. It's comical sometimes that slightest things can provoke tears. He's now 8 and I hope he will grow out of his habits.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:57 am

Hi mrswongtuition and EN,

thanks for your post.

EN,

I dunno if it's terrible two, but his behaviour is not recently, I think it's his character. :cry:

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:00 am

My girl was and still is a cry baby. I guess is her character. When small, She would cry when friends did not want to be friend with her, when classmates in nursury took her toys, when teachers spoke a bit louder (not scolding her) etc. Now, at 13yo, she would cry more on emotional issues or when we scold her for her wrongdoings.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sysherlene » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:03 am

Hi smurf, u are not alone.

My DD is like that too. She can cry over an hour if we dun pacify her. I've tried tactics like walking away or ignoring, but IT DON'T WORK. Becos she can just go on and on and on, louder and louder.

Anyway, initially, that really drives me crazy and I really lose temper and patience on her (very guilty about it, as I would think of myself a very bad mother). But now, I tried to reason things with her and tell her why she doesn't can always get what she wants. We all need to learn to accept "NO" anyway, and so must she :D ... And really, it works more effectively than any amount of yelling or shouting. Though, I sometimes still lose my temper over her. But the duration of her wailing is certainly shorter now... haha...

sysherlene
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Recess Time