Flag Day - what's your style?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Flag Day - what's your style?

Postby Jennifer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:33 pm

I was out this afternoon.

Saw NUS students raising funds for CommChest.

Do you wait for the students to come to you?

Do you go to them?

Do you give to more than 1 student?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Flag Day - what's your style?

Postby Sun_2010 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:44 pm

Jennifer wrote:I was out this afternoon.

Saw NUS students raising funds for CommChest.

Do you wait for the students to come to you?

Do you go to them?

Do you give to more than 1 student?

The moment I see a student from a distance, I fish out all the coins. As i am walking if they dont approach me, I walk up to them. It makes my day to see their smile.

The main reason is, once I see one group , I know that I will be seeing many many more the rest of the day. Best to contribute first and display the sticker. No more interruptions the rest of the day :oops: I am not very good at saying "no"

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:34 pm

My style is to avoid eye contact, else give a smile and shake of head & hands (esp to those kids who hang around air con places or ambush pp in enclosed places and don't make much effort). They usually get the idea.

I gave up contributing to flag days becos I don't know what these charities are about. I do my contributions to charity via sggives/giro. But I do make exceptions to kids who are very hardworking (even if it's only appear) and give bright smiles.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kylene » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:55 pm

I never reject anyone asking me for donation on flag day. When I was in secondary school and had to do this , there was an old man who shouted at me when I asked him for donation - he called me a beggar . I was young and didnt know how to react, just ran to the toilet to cry. I will never forget that incident, I was embarrassed and questioned myself what I had done wrong.

kylene
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Jennifer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:12 pm

I always give on Flag Day. Nominal sum only. One student only.

But after the past week reflection on volunteer work, today I gave more, happy to see the smiles on their faces.

Hopefully I made their day too.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TheAnswer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:48 pm

I give donations..
My boy has a habit of giving donations as well.. He will reach into his pocket for his coins (he usually brings some money out --> his savings)
I saw quite a lot of them near PS today.. Being in good mood today, I donated a few times :wink:
We also donate regularly.. Gotta do our part for society..

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Harlequin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:33 pm

I haven't met any of these young kids in a long long while.... cos I hardly walk on the malls walk way... Usually park car at the car park and zoom to the mall direct.

I contribute thru GIRO monthly to a few organizations.... still remember the very first one was NKF, stopped briefly after the peanut saga..., resumed only to support Gerald Ee.

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:34 am

I wait for them to approach me politely. I don't like those who hide in a corner and don't make an effort, and I don't like those who don't ask politely. I will also ask which charity it's for, and what they do. If the student can't even give me a simple answer, I won't give! I've done my share of flag days in the past so I know how hard it is, but they should make some effort to know who they are collecting for.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:40 am

slmkhoo wrote:I wait for them to approach me politely. I don't like those who hide in a corner and don't make an effort, and I don't like those who don't ask politely. I will also ask which charity it's for, and what they do. If the student can't even give me a simple answer, I won't give! I've done my share of flag days in the past so I know how hard it is, but they should make some effort to know who they are collecting for.

Me too.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Funz » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:51 am

I will not go up to them. They have to come to me and preferably be able to tell me the purpose of their fundraising.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time