Chancery Hill accident: Grandfather hits wife with car killi

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Chancery Hill accident: Grandfather hits wife with car killi

Postby Jennifer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:29 pm

Very sad to have such accident happened. All landowners who drive, do exercise more caution when parking the car into the garage.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-ne ... -grandsons

The two-year-old boy who was hit by a car his Italian grandfather was driving last Thursday is recovering from the accident, his mother told The Straits Times on Tuesday.

The freak accident happened when the boy cycled into the path of the car that his grandfather was reversing into the family's Chancery Hill Walk compound that evening. His grandmother, a woman in her 70s who was visiting from Italy, died trying to protect him from the impact, which severed the boy's leg. The boy's Caucasian mother, still distraught from the accident, declined to say more.

Chinese evening daily Shin Min reported that the deceased grandmother and her husband, also in his 70s, were in Singapore to visit their son, who lives at the Chancery Hill bungalow with his family.

The accident had happened when the grandmother, seeing the two-year-old cycling into the path of the car, yelled at her husband as she ran to try and lift the boy away. But in his panic, her husband mistakenly stepped on the accelerator, which caused the car to hurtle towards his wife and grandson. They were flung 5m into the wall.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Chancery Hill accident: Grandfather hits wife with car k

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:38 am

This is a most terrible tragedy. I cannot imagine how the grandfather feels at this point.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby ammonite » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:45 am

To be honest, feel most sorry for the grandfather. The boy should not have been allowed to cycle around a moving car in the first place. I do not think the grandfather was the most negligent, if he can even be considered negligent.

If only the boy's leg could have been reattached.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vinegar » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:53 am

i recall few yrs ago,an Australian mother accidentally knocked down her son. She was reversing her car,the boy was playing in the carpark too.She thou she knocked down a dog,ended up was her son.

I notice Caucasian prefers to reverse to park their cars. If they park their cars "head in",will reduce such accident.

vinegar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:09 am

I remember that case. She did not know she had run over her son until a taxi driver passing by shouted and waved to her to stop.

Reverse parking in means you can drive out safely to the road. It is safer for the general public.

The key should still be not to allow kids to be in carpark area. They should also be told from a very young age not to run to a car because the driver cannot see them. We demonstrate this to our kids as soon as they can understand and keep reminding them. But for 2 year old, he is still very young. An adult should have been holding his hands firmly. Both my father and FIL will not move the car if the children are not already inside the house or standing at lift landing with an adult.

Anyway...I feel very sad for the grandfather, especially at his advanced age. The boy too, but there is comsolation in his family's financial means and the availability of advanced prosthetics.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:22 am

Actually there no way a driver can see a very small child behind the car unless they have cameras for rear view.
Last edited by Nebbermind on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:37 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:This is a most terrible tragedy. I cannot imagine how the grandfather feels at this point.

it is very sad and something he would have to live with for a long long time.
no words can possibly comfort him.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:22 pm

Nebbermind wrote:Actually there no way a driver can see a very small child behind the car unless they have cameras for rear view.

Can see cannot see is beside the point. Have gadgets to help or not is also not important.

Why are the kids allowed to wander near the garage/ car parks on their own?

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:08 pm

There are parents who are not so safety conscious. Have seen 8-10 years old kids scooting and cycling across roads in my estate, some with maids busy with handphones while others on their own.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vinegar » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:45 pm

Coolkidsrock2 wrote:There are parents who are not so safety conscious. Have seen 8-10 years old kids scooting and cycling across roads in my estate, some with maids busy with handphones while others on their own.

exactly.hv seen such scene many times. Maids,they just like to talk.My piyo PT maid can talk throughout the whole 4hours cleaning session.Hv to endure her coz quite hard to find cleaner nowadays.

vinegar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time