97% of Singaporean students are enrolled in tuition in 2008

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Do you agree with Indranee that we can do away with tuition and still ace the PSLE?

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes: 117

Zappy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:18

Re: 97% of Singaporean students are enrolled in tuition in 2

Post by Zappy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:50 pm

In general, I don’t think ANY parents want their kids to lose out; they will try to enable their kids as much as possible, whether with money, time or effort.

I personally do not think that just because some kids are enrolled in brand-name tuition, they are necessarily better off or vice versa (parents teach = better may not be true too).

In addition, just because some parents are not sending their kids to tuition does not imply they cannot afford to or are less well-off financially. It could simply be that they think what they are doing is sufficient vs trying to keep up with the Joneses. It’s a matter of prioritizing time & money.

It doesn’t really matter what it’s designated as. I also know of people who say their kids go for “enrichment” and not “tuition”. Whatever floats their boat. There are pros and cons to both methods, as well as limitations on whether one would even work in any particular family situation, eg. If some parents cannot teach or both parents are working full time – then option B is less likely to be feasible.

Ultimately, it’s up to the parents to decide what situation is best for their kids. At this age (7-12 yrs), I very much doubt that any kids will study on their own without some pushing or nagging – the “fear factor” likely hasn’t kicked in yet, especially in the lower primary kids.

Yngmng
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Yngmng » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:13 pm

Even if parents do flash cards and read story books with kids, it is also a form of enrichment.

Agree with Zappy that different methods suit different kids. It is also a matter of prioritisation of time and money. I do not stick with one centre but make adjustments according to my child's progress and my resources ( time and money).

iceywind88
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by iceywind88 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:18 pm

haha last time, if my friend took tuition, everyone will laugh at her for being slow. only this generation tuition is glorified and meant for the rich. sigh, what have we come to.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:59 am

iceywind88 wrote:haha last time, if my friend took tuition, everyone will laugh at her for being slow. only this generation tuition is glorified and meant for the rich. sigh, what have we come to.
Even the not the so rich have tuition...except that they find affordable ones like U students or group tuition.
With such a big class, how is the teacher able to reach out to all students, especially the slower and average ones? Tuition is not glorified...it is necessary as academic standards have been increasing every year.

XK
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by XK » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:26 pm

Many times, school teachers faced time challenging to give attention to all or to give additional practice. However, kids are expected to grasp well. Parents have no choice but to hunt for additional reinforcement.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:10 am

psle is a high stakes exam...no parent will take the risk of skipping tuition during the crucial year. in fact, parents do ask for extra slots to push as much as possible. every subject is crucial.