Cheaper Lawyer

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Cheaper Lawyer

Postby Peirce » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:49 am

Anyone knows of any cheaper lawyer who can handle a deceased inheritance with her will? She only had CPF,3 room HDB flat,Singtel share...... If not is there any way to settle the inheritance?

Thanks for sharing
Last edited by Peirce on Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peirce
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Cheaper Laywer

Postby floppy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:14 pm

Peirce wrote:Anyone knows of any cheaper lawyer who can handle a deceased inheritance with her will? She only had CPF,3 room HDB flat,Singtel share...... If not is there any way to settle the inheritance?

Thanks for sharing

Deceased or not?

If already deceased, too late with coming up with a will. However, if a will is already present, just have to execute a will (any lawyer should be able to help).
If no will is present, you will have to stick to the laws of intestacy (any lawyer should be able to help).

If not deceased, most lawyers should be able to help. The more reasonable ones (fee wise) should be around Chinatown/Pearl Centre.

Most lawyer's fees are more or less similar for these routine procedures.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Peirce » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:52 pm

floppy wrote:
Peirce wrote:Anyone knows of any cheaper lawyer who can handle a deceased inheritance with her will? She only had CPF,3 room HDB flat,Singtel share...... If not is there any way to settle the inheritance?

Thanks for sharing

Deceased or not?

If already deceased, too late with coming up with a will. However, if a will is already present, just have to execute a will (any lawyer should be able to help).
If no will is present, you will have to stick to the laws of intestacy (any lawyer should be able to help).

If not deceased, most lawyers should be able to help. The more reasonable ones (fee wise) should be around Chinatown/Pearl Centre.

Deceased and with a will, try to look for a cheaper one s some can quote up to 4K! Wonder public trustee can help
Peirce
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:25 pm

Peirce wrote:
floppy wrote:

Thanks for sharing

Deceased or not?

Deceased and with a will, try to look for a cheaper one s some can quote up to 4K! Wonder public trustee can help

So expensive? Will it be even more expensive if there is no will?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Cheaper Lawyer

Postby TheAnswer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:48 pm

4K isn't expensive. My mil had a will.. Went to Hoh law firm..
The longer the list of items, the more expensive..

Sorry. I made a mistake. 3 items for 4k is too expensive. Didn't notice only 3 items just now. CPF if I'm not wrong, lawyer is not required. CPF goes by nominations. So actually only 2 items left.
Last edited by TheAnswer on Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TheAnswer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:51 pm

Probably hard to find law firms that quote really cheap... They told us upfront that if we find them expensive, we can check elsewhere.. Doubt its any cheaper elsewhere..
Worse when my mil had a long list of more than 10 items to divide :faint:

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vinegar » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:06 pm

possible to distribute the assets/monetary when still alive?...hmm..provided the children r trustworthy.

my mum had distributed n given out everything to us...I hv share account wf her,the money,will give back to her if she needs...in case bro does nt support her anymore.

vinegar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:42 pm

Regardless of whether there is one asset or ten, there is a certain fixed procedure that must be followed when getting probate of a will. This involves, amongst other things, making an application to the court to prove the will.

It is likely certain assets are overlooked. For example, the deceased did not have a bank account?

CPF goes into the estate if there is no nomination.

I suppose it would be possible to get it done cheaper than $4,000, but it is not likely to be much cheaper than $4,000.

And yes, as a general rule, it is more expensive if there is no will because there are more steps to take.

The only way to save on the legal fees is for the executor named in the will to make the application for probate himself/herself.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dimsum » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:26 am

TheAnswer wrote:4K isn't expensive. My mil had a will.. Went to Hoh law firm..
The longer the list of items, the more expensive..

Sorry. I made a mistake. 3 items for 4k is too expensive. Didn't notice only 3 items just now. CPF if I'm not wrong, lawyer is not required. CPF goes by nominations. So actually only 2 items left.

So in general, it will cost > $4K to get lawyer to do up a will??

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dimsum » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:29 am

If one deceased without a will, is lawyer still required with regards to the distribution of assets? I thought government will do the distribution i.e. follow the rule (50% to spouse, remaining to children equally)? I am pretty clueless.

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time