Radical Parenting Style - Do you agree?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Radical Parenting Style - Do you agree?

Postby sushi88 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:52 pm

What do you think? Is this effective to make the child learn?

TEXAS - An elementary school bully was taught a very public lesson on how bullying is not fun, by his father, no less.

The 9-year-old who was reported by school authorities for bullying was made to stand at the road corner with a neon pink sign that read:"I'm a bully. Honk! If you hate bullies", reported the Huffington Post.

The father, Jose Lagares, told local journalists in Texas that bullying is a form of public humiliation, and that by putting his son through a similar experience, he would learn that it does not feel good to be a victim of bullying.

While not everyone might agree with his methods, he added that the feedback he had received from passers-by were mostly positive.
- See more at: http://www.edvantage.com.sg/content/sch ... CLsvn.dpuf

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Radical Parenting Style - Do you agree?

Postby kevkevkaf » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:36 am

This is quite a novel idea but only to be used in cases where normal behavioral methods have failed.

kevkevkaf
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sushi88 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:21 am

Yeah, I find this parent very bold to prove his point. He must have known his son has very strong mental strength to take this and this type of reform style.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Harlequin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:11 pm

Not to answer whether I agree with this radical parenting style....
Just thinking to myself how many parents are on the other side of the fence, they won't admit their children are bullies, thus no apologies is needed, not sure it's due to their pride or because they simply do not believe their children are capable of bullying?!

It's the other way round for them, go all out to defend their children, if not, they will point their fingers back.... it's never their (children) fault!

I have heard of an incident of a 7yo child at P1, flipped his table at the teacher, and injured his classmate sitting beside him, when the parent was called to meet the discipline master, the dad accused the teacher being insensitive to his bao bei by insisting he answering a math question that he hasn't mastered, the teacher should not, in any way, made his son answer anything that he doesn't know.... and, this not just played out in that counselling session, he royal highness couldn't let the matter rest, and brought it up again in the class parents meeting session a month and a half later, in front of 34 parents and 5 teachers!! I guessed he wanted to shame the teacher :?

In this light, I prefer to sound my honk at this Texas boy! What he learned from this episode, is his to keep... it's better than there comes a day when no one is ever dare to teach, anything, anymore!

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:24 pm

Harlequin, I think you brought up a very good and valid point.
This over-protection on the other extreme is quite revolting. But I believe when the child grows up, the parents will get a good dose of their own medicine for not setting the record straight with him when he was young.

I just notice someone standing next to this Texas boy. If that is the father, then I really :salute: him, not only he dares to discipline his child in public, he keeps his child company by standing next to him. I believe this makes a big difference to the boy. If he were to stand there alone to suffer the punishment, he might have felt his father abandon him. However, by giving him moral support during the reform, he trusts his father knows what he is doing and will accept his punishment better.

I think I learn something today.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Harlequin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:35 pm

sushi88 wrote:Harlequin, I think you brought up a very good and valid point.
This over-protection on the other extreme is quite revolting. But I believe when the child grows up, the parents will get a good dose of their own medicine for not setting the record straight with him when he was young.

I just notice someone standing next to this Texas boy. If that is the father, then I really :salute: him, not only he dares to discipline his child in public, he keeps his child company by standing next to him. I believe this makes a big difference to the boy. If he were to stand there alone to suffer the punishment, he might have felt his father abandon him. However, by giving him moral support during the reform, he trusts his father knows what he is doing and will accept his punishment better.

I think I learn something today.

:goodpost:

Kudos to his parent! This is an utmost display of love and dignity -- "stand by you".

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:13 am

I actually think that someone has to stand with him to make sure he doesn't run off half way.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:08 pm

ammonite wrote:I actually think that someone has to stand with him to make sure he doesn't run off half way.

It may start off that way to the kid but it is always better to have someone standing by during a punishment. As for the parent, that is probably not the main intent, putting a kid to stand on the road is not exactly a safe thing to do.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:40 pm

sushi88 wrote:
ammonite wrote:I actually think that someone has to stand with him to make sure he doesn't run off half way.

It may start off that way to the kid but it is always better to have someone standing by during a punishment. As for the parent, that is probably not the main intent, putting a kid to stand on the road is not exactly a safe thing to do.

Yep. If he has to stand by himself, they may be accused of child endangerment. :shrug:

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby atrecord » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:27 pm

The father is doing a correct thing - admitting that his bully son is wrong and making his son realise that.

Too often nowadays, parents blame the whole world but not their children...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time