26%
Equally wrong
21%
Both are not wrong, everyone is titled to their rights
16%

Total votes : 19

Shocking Stomp - Who is more wrong?

Postby sushi88 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:55 pm

I was shocked to read this. Who do you think is more wrong? The one who woke the person sleeping for a seat, i.e. the pregnant lady or the one who was fuming mad being awoken for that "entitlement" to be given?

Last edited by sushi88 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Shocking Stomp - Who is more wrong?

Postby jedamum » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:29 pm

i think both no wrong assuming the poster is not the sleeper....it is the poster who is wrong.

once upon a time, me and small son was sitting on non-priority seats. a lady told us to shift our seats such that my smaller son sat on the priority seat so that she could sit on non-priority seat. :shrug: can regular commuters sit on priority seats? should commuters not sitting on non-priority seats wait for those sitting at priority seats to give up their seats to those in need? :shrug:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby shinri » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:33 pm

Hmm... Points 3 & 4 are very mean. Main reason why saving on transport is so as to have more $$ to spend on child.
Besides, anyone is entitled to public transport.

Probably the pregnant lady couldn't bear standing up due to heavy load, perhaps that's why she woke up the sleeping commuter for a seat.
If she asked nicely, I don't see why she isn't entitled to a seat.
If however, she demands for the seat in a rude manner, then she is wrong too.

shinri
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sushi88 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:35 pm

jedamum wrote:i think both no wrong assuming the poster is not the sleeper....it is the poster who is wrong.

once upon a time, me and small son was sitting on non-priority seats. a lady told us to shift our seats such that my smaller son sat on the priority seat so that she could sit on non-priority seat. :shrug: can regular commuters sit on priority seats? should commuters not sitting on non-priority seats wait for those sitting at priority seats to give up their seats to those in need? :shrug:

The one who posted this was the MRT commuter who was being awoken.
Last edited by sushi88 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:40 pm

shinri wrote:Hmm... Points 3 & 4 are very mean. Main reason why saving on transport is so as to have more $$ to spend on child.

Probably the pregnant lady couldn't bear standing up due to heavy load, perhaps that's why she woke up the sleeping commuter for a seat.

so many commuters..none gave up their seats, and she had to go wake up the moody sleeper. so sad.
so far i see quite a lot of helpful people that readily give up their seats to the elderly, children and pregnant ladies. i was at the receiving end of such kindness many times before.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sushi88 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:50 pm

Sorry, I am not familiar with the system. Someone mentioned one more possibility in the poll, so I added it and all the votes were reset.

Kindly re-vote again.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:51 pm

jedamum wrote:
shinri wrote:Hmm... Points 3 & 4 are very mean. Main reason why saving on transport is so as to have more $$ to spend on child.

so many commuters..none gave up their seats, and she had to go wake up the moody sleeper. so sad.
so far i see quite a lot of helpful people that readily give up their seats to the elderly, children and pregnant ladies. i was at the receiving end of such kindness many times before.

Me too. During my first pregnancy, I was almost always offered a seat when i boarded the MRT. Well meaning aunties insisted on me sitting down when I turned down their offer. :faint:

My take is neither pregnant women nor parents with small kids should demand concession. But as gracious citizens we should help out whenever we can.

If the commuter has a backbone, he should have graciously refused to give up his seat with or without reason ( like or "Sorry, I need to sleep" or "sorry , my back hurts when i stand" or just simply " sorry, I cant." ) Instead of just ranting . He has a right to the seat, it is up to him to decide if he wants to give it up or not.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Pen88n » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:04 pm

I think both parties are inconsiderate and that's why this happen:
- If the pregnant woman is considerate, she would not wake up a sleeping commuter to request for seat. And she will also be conscious that the seat is not her entitlement and not ask for it
- If the sleeping commuter is considerate, she would not have made a fuss and gave up the seat to the pregnant woman who is in need of it.

To be fair, I think some people took their "entitlement" for granted:
- seats given without a word of thanks (not that it matters, but it would have made it a nicer gesture)
- occupied more than one seat with legs up (for regular commuters of a certain bus # at a specific time, you would meet this old man who does that) or shopping bags on seat

I've even witnessed a sceanrio whereby a school kid with a big school bag kindly gave up his seat to a pregnant lady who took it without a word of thanks. Next minute when the seat next to her became vacant (and the kid was standing next to it), she "choop" the seat and called out to her hubby (empty handed and standing a distance away) to come n sit, instead of letting the poor kid have the seat. To me, that is a simple act of selfishness - kindness deserve to be reciprocated in a better way than this.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:07 pm

Pen88n wrote:...

I've even witnessed a sceanrio whereby a school kid with a big school bag kindly gave up his seat to a pregnant lady who took it without a word of thanks. Next minute when the seat next to her became vacant (and the kid was standing next to it), she "choop" the seat and called out to her hubby (empty handed and standing a distance away) to come n sit, instead of letting the poor kid have the seat. To me, that is a simple act of selfishness - kindness deserve to be reciprocated in a better way than this.

:slapshead:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:33 pm

Pen88n wrote:I think both parties are inconsiderate and that's why this happen:
- If the pregnant woman is considerate, she would not wake up a sleeping commuter to request for seat. And she will also be conscious that the seat is not her entitlement and not ask for it
- If the sleeping commuter is considerate, she would not have made a fuss and gave up the seat to the pregnant woman who is in need of it.

To be fair, I think some people took their "entitlement" for granted:
- seats given without a word of thanks (not that it matters, but it would have made it a nicer gesture)
- occupied more than one seat with legs up (for regular commuters of a certain bus # at a specific time, you would meet this old man who does that) or shopping bags on seat

Yes, not understanding why the pregnant lady did what she did...I am also shocked at her action.

The scenario you shared is really a bad example for people who want to be gracious. One most common scenario is the holding on of lift doors....most people just take it for granted...hardly I hear people say thanks....it seems expected of them.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time