Good shows for Kids lately?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Good shows for Kids lately?

Postby super_dad » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:33 pm

Would that be the golden compass? When showing?

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby rtcsuan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:37 pm

Dear super_dad,

this movie... It's sad that they are trying to turn our kids in anti-hunters through movies. Please dont encourage your kids to these. What we allow our children to watch has a great impact to what they think and behave.

THE GOLDEN COMPASS. It stars Nicole Kidman and it is directed toward children, being introduced as an exciting fantasy adventure, set in an alternative world.

This movie is based on the first of a trilogy of books for children called HIS DARK MATERIALS written by Philip Pullman of England. *_He's an atheist and his objective is to bash Christianity and promote atheism._* He apparently has made remarks that he wants to kill God in the minds of children, and that's what his books are all about. Pullman is an avowed atheist who has averred that "I don't profess any religion; I don't think it's possible that there is a God; I have the greatest difficulty in understanding what is meant by the words "spiritual" or "spirituality". Critics of Pullman's books point to the strong anti-religion and anti-God themes they incorporate, and although literary works are subject to a variety of interpretations, Pullman left little doubt
about his intentions when he said in a 2003 interview, "My books are about killing God." An article written about him said "this is the most dangerous author in Britain" and that Pullman would be the writer "the atheists would be praying for, if atheists prayed." It is important to communicate what part of the agenda
is for making this picture. This movie is a watered down version of the first book, which is the least offensive of the three books. The second book of the trilogy is THE SUBTLE KNIFE and the third book is THE AMBER SPYGLASS. Each book gets worse and worse regarding Pullman's hatred of God. In the trilogy, a young girl becomes enmeshed in an epic struggle against a nefarious Church known as the Magisterium. Another character, an ex-nun, describes Christianity as "a very powerful and convincing mistake." As I understand it, in the last book, a boy and girl are depicted representing Adam and Eve and they kill God, who at times is called YAHWEH. Apparently, the movie would seem mild if you viewed it -- that's been done on purpose, hoping that unsuspecting parents will take their children to see the movie, that they will enjoy the movie and then the children will want the books. That's the hook! Pullman says he wants the children to read the books and decide against God and the kingdom of heaven. Several key themes of the novels are to be diluted in the adaptation. Director Weitz said, "In an attempt to avoid a religious backlash, the Magisterium will instead be a critique of all dogmatic organizations. Weitz said that New Line Cinema had feared the story's perceived anti-religious themes would make the film financially unviable in the US, and so religion and God will not be referenced directly. Attempting to reassure fans of the novels, Weitz said that religion would instead appear in euphemistic terms, yet the decision has been attacked by some fans, anti-censorship groups, and the National Secular Society (of which Pullman is an honorary associate), which said " they are taking the heart out of it, losing the point of it, castrating it", "this is part of a long-term problem over freedom of speech."

Regards

rtcsuan
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby super_dad » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:10 pm

Wow...thanks for the sharing. Didn't know that there were so deep philosophy behind the story. :roll:

Yes, I agree...what children watch has a great impact. I keep having the tendency to jump off tall buildings after watching superman. :p

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby dragonball » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:52 pm

Totally agree, what our kid watch and play do affect them. My kid was playing some fighter game on xbox and he started imagining himself to be a fighter, worrying.

dragonball
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:32 pm

Hmm... some say you are what you eat... some say you are what you watch.

Very chim. But that's why movies are rated PG lor- Parental Guidance. You are supposed to sit through the movie with your kids, take down notes on the more disturbing parts, and then do a debrief/post-mortem about the movie after you finish. That way you get to teach the kids about your views of the world.

MDA should come up with guidelines for parents on what they need to do when watching PG movies.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby phantom » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:10 pm

NicklessHead wrote:Hmm... some say you are what you eat... some say you are what you watch.

Very chim. But that's why movies are rated PG lor- Parental Guidance. You are supposed to sit through the movie with your kids, take down notes on the more disturbing parts, and then do a debrief/post-mortem about the movie after you finish. That way you get to teach the kids about your views of the world.

MDA should come up with guidelines for parents on what they need to do when watching PG movies.

Most of the time we just watch movies for the fun of it. Don't think alot of parents analyst and explain to their kid what value those shows try to bring across. Sometime I don't even know what I am watching.

phantom
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:30 pm

Sometimes, watching movies instill creativity. All the CG, directing, scripting.. can be very creative. In fact, movie making is a collaborative work of many creative minds.

Hence, from another angle, I feel that children should be encouraged to watch movies. For exposure, for art. Some parents nag nag about children watching too much TV and not reading enough books. Both have their own merits.

Who knows, they might become the next stephen spielberg

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby super_dad » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:32 am

I just watch National Treasure with my girl...but I think the front portion quite difficult for children to understand...all the cryptography etc....but the later part was ok. But all in all, not a very good show. The last part balancing on the giant coin thing, quite iffy.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby dragonball » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:06 pm

super_dad wrote:I just watch National Treasure with my girl...but I think the front portion quite difficult for children to understand...all the cryptography etc....but the later part was ok. But all in all, not a very good show. The last part balancing on the giant coin thing, quite iffy.

I remember quite some time back there is already a show that is national treasure, is this the sequel or is it that it is only showing now after such a long time? I am actually quite confused whether this is a new show or not

dragonball
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Recess Time