'Phone' Culture in schools

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

'Phone' Culture in schools

Postby Steviestiles » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:03 pm

A few teacher friends of mine told me this growing culture on separate occasions.

During CCA camps, there are bound to have cohesion games such as 'Captain's ball', Frisbee and other team sports played to improve student bonding etc. But however, these teachers told me that the students are not as proactive as we were when we were younger. The kids will congregate and talk with their faces buried in their phones.

So far, I've heard similar stories from 3 different schools and I'm afraid that this may grow to become a dominant culture in years to come. What will happen to social interaction by then?

Steviestiles
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: 'Phone' Culture in schools

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:08 pm

not just kids, right? Adults also sama sama...

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BeContented » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Nebbermind wrote:not just kids, right? Adults also sama sama...

Agree.

Guilty here, even hubby complain no attention & not a supporter of KSP :rotflmao: :rotflmao: . That's why we are trying to make an effort to put the phone aside during all gatherings......hopefully to set example for the kids too.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TheAnswer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:39 pm

BeContented wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:not just kids, right? Adults also sama sama...

Agree.

Guilty here, even hubby complain no attention & not a supporter of KSP :rotflmao: :rotflmao: . That's why we are trying to make an effort to put the phone aside during all gatherings......hopefully to set example for the kids too.

I'm also guilty. Hubby can put his phone aside (dump on the table the moment he reaches home) but a little hard for me.
Anyway that's why I always get :spank:
I have been warned several times :imsorry:

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:43 pm

If you think it's not right, then should ban yourself from using smartphones. Go back to the old keypad phones....and then you'll realise the battery can actually last for days!!

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TheAnswer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:54 pm

Nebbermind wrote:If you think it's not right, then should ban yourself from using smartphones. Go back to the old keypad phones....and then you'll realise the battery can actually last for days!!

I think I will 'die' faster. I think I should clarify. After hubby reaches home, he puts aside his iPhone and picks up his iPad mini..
But he can put them aside during mealtimes.. Unlike me :oops:

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:42 pm

Nebbermind wrote:If you think it's not right, then should ban yourself from using smartphones. Go back to the old keypad phones....and then you'll realise the battery can actually last for days!!

Hard to find non-smartphone nowadays

tankee
Site Admin

Postby tankee » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:44 pm

In jap drama, quite common to see the teacher collecting the students' mobile phone before they leave for field trip or camp.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby ammonite » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:46 pm

We ban phones and iPads during mealtimes and social gathering for everyone in the family. Must make a conscious effort. It is hard when other kids bring out their iPads and gaming sets though, or adult relatives start playing candy crush and what not and offer them to my kids.

But the easiest I've found is not to put any games in my phone and not bringing my iPad along. My kids are also not allowed to have phones and tablets. I told them they can have them when they know how to use it as a tool instead of an entertainment center.
Last edited by ammonite on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:48 pm

tankee wrote:

Hard to find non-smartphone nowadays

Tell me about that! The singtel people gave me that look and smirk when I asked them for their most basic phone and plan for DS. In the end I didn't get anything.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time