"We live in a society that doesn’t teach ethics at school.."

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

"We live in a society that doesn’t teach ethics at school.."

Postby 3Boys » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:45 pm

http://www.computerdealernews.com/news/ ... lence/5363

"CDN: Is there anything we can do to make illicit computer-related activity a less attractive pursuit for young people?

F.A.: There are about four reasons why we have crime to begin with. One of them is, of course, that we live in an extremely unethical society. We live in a society that doesn’t teach ethics at home, a society that doesn’t teach ethics in school because the teacher would be accused of teaching morality. We live in a society where you can’t find a four-year college course on ethics. I have three sons who went through graduate school; only the one who went to law school had a course even offered on ethics. So today you have a lot of young people who have no character, no ethics and they find no problem in defrauding somebody or stealing from somebody or cheating somebody. Until we change that, crime is just going to get easier, faster, more global and harder to detect. I’ve spent 32 years at the FBI and I’ve witnessed crime only got a lot easier to do. Obviously, there’s a lot less threat of being caught. When I was caught, I was just a teenager, and they sent me to prison for five years. Today, I’d probably get probation and community service; I might get 18 months and serve six months in jail. So there really is no threat of going to prison to keep somebody in line. I really think the more technology there is in the world, the more you have to instill character and ethics. You can build all the security systems in the world; you can build the most sophisticated technology, and all it takes is one weak link – someone who operates that technology – to bring it all down. People don’t like to talk about that issue, because they think it’s over-simplified. But the fact is, in all my experience, that’s where the problem lies."

In other words - Keep your morality to yourself, 'coz your trodding on my toes. Moralizing is out of fashion, you ain't allowed to sanction anyone for being immoral, as long someone in the general secular realm doesn't feel it's immoral, or relevant to his employment.

F.A. is Frank Abagnale, one time con-artist turned FBI consultant, and the subject of the Leonardo DiCaprio movie, "Catch Me if You Can."

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: "We live in a society that doesn’t teach ethics at schoo

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:20 pm

Think people nowadays prefer to take shortcuts to success.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-ne ... g-20131021

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:22 pm

Is it not so clearly happening round us?

Such news splashing our news tabloids so frequently.......

Relief teacher jailed for sex with student (Oct 21)
SINGAPORE - After hearing that rumours were going round a school about a home economics teacher having an affair with a student, a 13-year-old girl made a confession.

She told a school counsellor that she had been having a sexual relationship with a relief teacher.

On Friday, Steven Lee Woon Leong Jr, 26, was jailed for two years and three months for performing five sexual acts on a child.

Ex-ST reporter charged with having underage sex with 15-year-old girl (Oct 21)
The Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) local scholar(29) is accused of having oral sex with the 15-year-old girl at a house off Upper Paya Lebar Road between November and December 2011, and at a male public toilet cubicle at Fort Canning Park in the early months of 2012. The third charge alleges that he had sex with the minor at a flat in Serangoon Avenue 1 on June 23 last year.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:59 pm

I heard over the news that there's a gag order on the name of the reporter. Any idea why the special treatment?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:25 pm

Morality issues date back into ancient history of China, leading to the emergence of people like Kong Zi, Lao Zi, Meng Zi, etc. but Singapore only produced Wen Zi. :shrug: There are many great lessons that can be learnt from the great sages on ethics, but even in Modern China, many have forsaken them and parents are now regretting their mistakes in the way they've brought up their children. It is a pity that Singapore has also stopped the learning of religious studies and confucian ethics except for some schools that still values tradition.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:34 pm

Nebbermind wrote:I heard over the news that there's a gag order on the name of the reporter. Any idea why the special treatment?

"Mr Kurian(his lawyer) also requested that his client's name be kept out of the media as it could lead to the disclosure of the victim. This, after the court granted a gag order on the victim. The prosecution had no objections."

That was the official statement given.
Someone posted it in asiaone forum but the name was removed due to court ruling.
oops! I know who he is now... *sigh*
Last edited by sushi88 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Nebbermind wrote:I heard over the news that there's a gag order on the name of the reporter. Any idea why the special treatment?

What's the point of the gag order when his name was splashed all over the papers early this year? DUH! I worked with him before, when he was still a rookie.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:41 pm

concern2 wrote:Morality issues date back into ancient history of China, leading to the emergence of people like Kong Zi, Lao Zi, Meng Zi, etc. but Singapore only produced Wen Zi. :shrug: There are many great lessons that can be learnt from the great sages on ethics, but even in Modern China, many have forsaken them and parents are now regretting their mistakes in the way they've brought up their children. It is a pity that Singapore has also stopped the learning of religious studies and confucian ethics except for some schools that still values tradition.

Very funny... :laugh: Specifically... Yi Wen... :evil:

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:17 am

Quote from Frank Abagnale:
We live in a society that doesn’t teach ethics
at home, a society that doesn’t teach ethics in school because the teacher would be accused of teaching morality.

What worries me more is that ethics isn't being taught at home. For ethics, I feel that school is to back up the home, so it should really start at home.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nicnac » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:22 am

slmkhoo wrote:Quote from Frank Abagnale:
We live in a society that doesn’t teach ethics
at home, a society that doesn’t teach ethics in school because the teacher would be accused of teaching morality.

What worries me more is that ethics isn't being taught at home. For ethics, I feel that school is to back up the home, so it should really start at home.

:goodpost:

nicnac
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time