Stay At Home DAD

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Stay At Home DAD

Postby daisyt » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:35 am

That day, during a meetup with a few friends, one girlfriend brought up this topic of SAHD. She cannot accept her future husband to be SAHD. Husband should be working, providing for the family... Even if husband is earning lesser than wife and there is a need for one party to stay at home to look after the children.

In fact, a few of the other older friends (with family and children), feel there is nothing wrong for SAHD.

What is your opinion ? :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:05 am

Personally I can accept SAHD. In current society of equal rights, there is nothing for any SAHD to be ashamed of.

When there is a need for someone to stay at home, it make $ense for the party that is earning more and has better career prospect to continue working And if the one earning more is the wife, then the husband would have to shallow his pride and be a SAHD.

However, I am of the opinion that most ladies, except for the few exception Tiger ladies, would love to be a Tai-Tai. Thus, the thought of them working while their hubby staying stays at home is totally unacceptable to them. More so, if they are still single and still have the freedom to pick & choose.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby jedamum » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:13 am

i am ok.
my husband was a sahd for a while.
now i am a sahm. i find that he makes a better housekeeper than me. he even fetch me from work (together with my ds1) whenever i need to do overtime work.
the husband should be emotionally strong enough to face the stigma if there is a need for him to do this long term. if not, the wife have to decide if it is best over all to have the husband working despite having lower income cos what is most important is that everyone is happy and not mainly on who earns more.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Andaiz » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:23 am

Both DH and I are alright with having SAHD although I do agree with jedamum on the practicality of having the one with the higher income continue with working.

jedamum wrote:the husband should be emotionally strong enough to face the stigma if there is a need for him to do this long term. if not, the wife have to decide if it is best over all to have the husband working despite having lower income cos what is most important is that everyone is happy and not mainly on who earns more.

For us, it would have been a case of PROPENSITY to earn. When we met and in the first few years of marriage, DH was earning less than or equal to me but now, he's outstripped me by a fair share. We've yet to take the PLUNGE though! :P

I heard this message on the way to work today and thought it to be quite true.

Women are BUILDERS...we often think of men as the builders, but our husbands build with motar, brick, wood etc... but it is us women who BUILD the home...we give it the atmosphere, the homely feeling

Can't agree more, even if DH is a much more organized person who disciplines the kids far better than I do! :!: :pray:

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:41 pm

I dun mind DH being a SAHD. But DH will never agree to that. He was upset when he found out my income was higher then his early on in our marriage. Doesn't help that we were both in the same industry.

I did ask DH last time if he would consider being a SAHD. The topic came up cos my CEO at that time was a woman and her DH was a SAHD. DH's answer to me was, the day that you will consider being a SAHM is the day I will consider being a SAHD.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Eagle-Ladybird » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:12 pm

About time this topic is discussed . . yes :goodpost:

I wud luv to be SAHD. I have worked out the whole itinerary for it:

Wake up have my breakfast together with family. Then send kids to school and drop wife to work (since she's a high flyer, she goes to work at 9.30am).

Then, go for a 9-hole golf game with buddies. Then pick the kids up and have lunch at the club. Maid feed them lunch, and I continue with my buddies. Then go for a quick swim with the kids and showers taken care of. Send them home for afternoon nap, and I doze off too (of course, after 2 hours under the sun).

Wake up, send the kids to enrichment classes and I'll meet up with some brothers for coffee. Maybe go to car show rooms, or happy hours :celebrate:

Pick them up from enrichment classes, and pick wifey up as well (since she's a highflyer, she leaves work maybe 5pm). Go for a stroll at the parks, have dinner, and packed them home, ready for bed! They sleep by 9pm, and the rest is history :celebrate:

Sounds alright . . . . or am I getting flame
:siam:

Eagle-Ladybird
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby penglee » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:53 am

thumbsUp for ladyBird.
Me, I get restless after a few days :stupid:

So the better parent (read Patient, Passionate and not Who-earn-less) should stay-home :P

Maybe the next TV8 drama Penguin-Daddy might provide more inspiration Daddies? *hopefully not Chen Hanwei version :lol:

penglee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby daisyt » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:40 am

Hahaha ! Eagle-Ladybird, your lifestyle sounds more like rich "taitai" than SAHD ... :lol: :lol: I also want to be like that too .... no housework, no need worry on the kids :D :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby znzyzyzx » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:55 am

Eagle-Ladybird wrote:About time this topic is discussed . . yes :goodpost:

I wud luv to be SAHD. I have worked out the whole itinerary for it:

Wake up have my breakfast together with family. Then send kids to school and drop wife to work (since she's a high flyer, she goes to work at 9.30am).

Then, go for a 9-hole golf game with buddies. Then pick the kids up and have lunch at the club. Maid feed them lunch, and I continue with my buddies. Then go for a quick swim with the kids and showers taken care of. Send them home for afternoon nap, and I doze off too (of course, after 2 hours under the sun).

Wake up, send the kids to enrichment classes and I'll meet up with some brothers for coffee. Maybe go to car show rooms, or happy hours :celebrate:

Pick them up from enrichment classes, and pick wifey up as well (since she's a highflyer, she leaves work maybe 5pm). Go for a stroll at the parks, have dinner, and packed them home, ready for bed! They sleep by 9pm, and the rest is history :celebrate:

Sounds alright . . . . or am I getting flame
:siam:

How come your afternoon seems so long, can do so many things ?

znzyzyzx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schellen » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:10 am

Eagle-Ladybird wrote:Then, go for a 9-hole golf game with buddies.

Then, you have to make sure that your buddies also become SAHDs too. :lol:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time