Is there a problem in listening to POP MUSIC?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Is there a problem in listening to POP MUSIC?

Postby concern2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:18 am

Is there a problem with listening to pop music? And watching pop music competitions?

Recently, someone 'warned' me of watching 'too much' of pop music competitions like The Voice. It left me rather dumbfounded cos it had never occurred to me that it would cause any 'harm' to the kids when they watch the shows with me.

I asked why, and she said she's not sure herself, but not something that she would encourage her kids to watch. Perhaps she was being diplomatic. (That's the thing about person-to-person talk, they don't want to offend).

So here we are, can parents share how you feel about music 'education'? Is there a 'right' way to educate our kids in music and the 'right' songs to listen to?

I thought watching stuff like The Voice allows you to learn more about music esp if you aren't that privileged to receive a 'proper' music education.

I've also come across parents who only allow their kids to listen to classical music and deem pop music to be 'low class'. Is this what it is all about?

Any opinions at all?

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Is there a problem in listening to POP MUSIC?

Postby Imp75 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:55 am

I am ok with music reality shows as it showcases good vocals and hard work. I am quite skeptical about the MTV channel though I watch it often. Sometimes the MVs are so raunchy that I don't know how to explain to inquisitive Tweens, like wrecking ball, why does Miley sit on it naked

Imp75
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby sleepy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:02 am

concern2 wrote:Is there a problem with listening to pop music? And watching pop music competitions?

I've also come across parents who only allow their kids to listen to classical music and deem pop music to be 'low class'. Is this what it is all about?

Any opinions at all?

I don't impose any restriction on myself. I watch k-pop mtv on youtubes sometimes. Korean girls are so pretty! Love their flawless make-up :lol:

If my kids happen to catch me watching youtube mtv, they will hang around and watch too. But not often la. Probaby a few times a year.

Didn't impose any restriction on my kids. Somehow they just don't have to habit of watching tv singing programmes or surfing youtube. They only like to listen to 90.5 fm

I know my dd's classmates are SUPER into one direction the boy band now. So I watch their mtv too just to stay in touch :lol:

My dd isn't interested in one direction or any boy band though. Sometimes I wonder what they talk about if no common topic. Can't just talk about homework all the time right :scratchhead:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:15 am

If I remember correctly pop music induced beta wave-lengths. Kinda of dulling the brain. That's the position taken by supporter of Baroque music which is suppose to trigger alpha brain waves.

I may have gotten the name of the wavelengths wrong. The bottomline is that suppose to affect brain wavelengths and affect learning whether long term or short term, I'm afraid I didn't read the full article heehee

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:21 am

SAHM_TAN wrote:If I remember correctly pop music induced beta wave-lengths. Kinda of dulling the brain. That's the position taken by supporter of Baroque music which is suppose to trigger alpha brain waves.

I may have gotten the name of the wavelengths wrong. The bottomline is that suppose to affect brain wavelengths and affect learning whether long term or short term, I'm afraid I didn't read the full article heehee

Oh now that you mention, I think I heard something like that too.

Although I have the impression Baroque was more effective for younger kids before age 6. For older kids, I think not much impact.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:29 am

sleepy wrote:
SAHM_TAN wrote:If I remember correctly pop music induced beta wave-lengths. Kinda of dulling the brain. That's the position taken by supporter of Baroque music which is suppose to trigger alpha brain waves.

Oh now that you mention, I think I heard something like that too.

Although I have the impression Baroque was more effective for younger kids before age 6. For older kids, I think not much impact.

Anything is more effective before 12 yos. But think the article also cited undergrads learning foreign languages and Baroque music help. But a big BUT, not sure abt the accuracy and consistency of the experiment. I rather like Baroque music, no real harm in listening to them.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:29 am

Ahhhhhh.........

Then listening to classical induce what kind of wave-lengths? Alpha? And improves in concentration?

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:48 am

concern2 wrote:

Ahhhhhh.........

Then listening to classical induce what kind of wave-lengths? Alpha? And improves in concentration?

Not just any classical music, must be Baroque, it's a specific genre. Yes, suppose to help with concentration too.

There are other ways to help concentration too, like eye exercise, aromatherapy, food.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:53 am

To be honest, too much classical gives me a headache just like too much metal music. When I was insomniac, some days classical/ New Age works better, other days slow rock works better, or even electronic rock (bubblegum pop cannot sleep). My housemate who was from GEP and won a commonwealth prize etc, would borrow my slow rock music - he said the bass beat was very soothing and helped him study (he would study last minute), another housemate who was also a scholar would study to a mixture of Bjork and belle and Sebastian.

So I think whatever works for a person's current state of mind and energy level is fine.
Last edited by ammonite on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:20 am

concern2 wrote:
Ahhhhhh.........

depends on what type of classical....for me, some induce sleep

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time