Home schooling

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Home schooling

Postby kiasimom » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:51 am

Any parents who do not send their kids to school and teach them from home?
What is the advantage of teaching from home and what is the procedure to do that?
Do you need approval from MOE for your kid not to attend the government/private school?

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby turquoise » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:39 am

I know of friends who homeschool.

You need to get approval from MOE to homeschool. MOE needs to be convinced that you are able to coach your kid so they want to see your schooling plans.

All homeschoolers must still sit for PSLE. Point to note: Homeschoolers do not participate in the S1 Posting Exercise.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Home schooling

Postby jedamum » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:59 am

kiasimom wrote:Any parents who do not send their kids to school and teach them from home?
What is the advantage of teaching from home and what is the procedure to do that?
Do you need approval from MOE for your kid not to attend the government/private school?

hm..do you intend to homeschool your kids since they already started main stream schooling?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kiasimom » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:08 pm

Nah... I have a friend who is interested to teach her kid from home.
So I am trying to find out more from here.

She is still indecisive...
Still trying to weigh the pros and cons..

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasimom » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:11 pm

turquoise wrote:I know of friends who homeschool.

You need to get approval from MOE to homeschool. MOE needs to be convinced that you are able to coach your kid so they want to see your schooling plans.

All homeschoolers must still sit for PSLE. Point to note: Homeschoolers do not participate in the S1 Posting Exercise.

Is there a limit for homeschooling?
Like you can only homeschool till P6 level?

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby turquoise » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:31 pm

kiasimom wrote:
turquoise wrote:I know of friends who homeschool.

Is there a limit for homeschooling?
Like you can only homeschool till P6 level?

You can homeschool beyond P6.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby kiasimom » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:35 pm

Hi turquoise,

Thanks for your replies.
I guess as long as the child sits for the National level exams, the child can still learn from home.

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cnimed » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:13 pm

The only two musts are

- permission from MOE when the age of compulsory education begins the year the child turns 7. If I'm not wrong this is on a year-by-year basis.

- Unless the child has strong reasons and given exemption by MOE, it is compulsory to take PSLE and the child must meet a minimum standard that is set at 30% higher than mainstream students. Scoring below this means the child has to retake the PSLE.

Before and after the age of compulsory education, you are free to homeschool.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby kiasimom » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:13 pm

deminc wrote:The only two musts are

- permission from MOE when the age of compulsory education begins the year the child turns 7. If I'm not wrong this is on a year-by-year basis.

- Unless the child has strong reasons and given exemption by MOE, it is compulsory to take PSLE and the child must meet a minimum standard that is set at 30% higher than mainstream students. Scoring below this means the child has to retake the PSLE.

Before and after the age of compulsory education, you are free to homeschool.

Hi. Can I check why homeschooling children has to meet a standard that is 30% higher?

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cnimed » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:43 am

There were some controversy over this higher benchmark that was in the press last year. I can't quite remember if MOE gave any reason, but if you dig around, you should be able to find the reports.

But generally MOE has been tightening its requirements for homeschooling over the years. You need to show that a parent will be the teacher for all subjects, your teaching plans, then the higher PSLE benchmark. Currently homeschoolers do not get to apply to secondary school at the same time as other mainstreamn students, even though they have to take the PSLE.

So parents have to be resourceful and organised, and plan ahead. Homeschoolers have entered good secondary schools and some, at a later age, polytechnics and did very well (reported in the press). It's also possible to homeschool a couple of years and then rejoin primary schools halfway. Or take the PSLE and go your own way thereafter. :)
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time