NUS graduate : "failures comparing themselves to elites"

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

NUS graduate : "failures comparing themselves to elites"

Postby buds » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:51 am

http://www.edvantage.com.sg/content/fem ... nnot-study

Stomp
Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013

Local citizen journalism site, Stomp, were alerted by readers Koh and Kai Siang, to her Facebook postings.

The student's Facebook account, carried posts that claim that ITE students 'cannot study' and hence, should not 'challenge JC students in everything'.
She also compared certificates from both schools and pointed out that an 'A' Level certificate would provide more options when it comes to the choice of university courses to study. Her list includes law, medicine and pathology, she said.

The woman then wrote that she found it amusing that people often used the argument that successful entrepreneurs such as Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerburg were college dropouts.

According to her, this should not be used to refute criticism of ITE students being less capable than others, as there are varying education systems in different countries and it is akin to 'failures' comparing themselves to 'elites'.
In another Facebook posting, the woman also shared that she had debated with a law student on how the local university she attended was better than his overseas one.

Both postings have since been removed. However, according to the Stomp contributor known as Koh, the thread about ITE students reached more than 900 comments.

Maintaining her stance, she responded to those who disagreed with her statements.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Discrimination against ITE students

Postby buds » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:56 am

http://www.edvantage.com.sg/content/wom ... -brainless

Edvantage
Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013

A woman who is said to be a graduate of the National University of Singapore (NUS) has earned the ire of netizens after her disparaging posts about students from the Institute of Technical Education (ITE) incensed netizens so much that it found its way to Stomp.

In her posts yesterday, she claimed that ITE students 'cannot study' and hence, should not 'challenge JC students in everything'.

She went to add that while successful entrepreneurs such as Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerburg were college dropouts, it cannot be used to refute criticism of ITE students being less capable than others.

She said this is because there are varying education systems in different countries and it is akin to 'failures' comparing themselves to 'elites'.

In her posts today, she claimed that she would not hire ITE students to work in her company that is worth millions because, they are 'brainless', and it was not worth taking the 'risk'.

She continued to claim that she was "not jealous" but, "thankful that her firm was in good shape without any morons in it".

She also adds that her posts yesterday were not removed but just hidden, and that she is not surprised that "ITE students can't tell the difference between 'removing' a post and 'hiding' a post".

According to her Facebook page, the woman, 40, is an NUS Engineering alumni, and also studied at Temasek Junior College and Raffles Girl's School (Secondary).

She also added that she had no need to explain her views about ITE students, and that this would be her final post.

The post was no longer visible half an hour after it was put up.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: NUS graduate : "failures comparing themselves to elites"

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:42 am

I believe we need to look at what sparked the outrageous remarks.

Sometimes it can be some immature exchange that escalated to this, not unlike lovers quarrel, where spiteful words were said just to get at each other.

We see heated words exchanged over the forum all the time. But do they really hate each other so much?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby atrecord » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:05 am

Nebbermind wrote:I believe we need to look at what sparked the outrageous remarks.

Sometimes it can be some immature exchange that escalated to this, not unlike lovers quarrel, where spiteful words were said just to get at each other.

We see heated words exchanged over the forum all the time. But do they really hate each other so much?

I've learnt long ago that words have no emotion, so might not be the most accurate way of expressing one's feelings.

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:47 am

It's ok. ITE graduate, NUS graduate, Ivy League graduate, University of Hardknocks graduate... What do they all have in common? They all only have one vote each. :laugh:

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:37 pm

I guess I read the title differently..

I read it as, the graduate felt like a failure when compared to elites..

look at it this way.. a graduate earning $2,500 pm compared to an ITE entrepreneur who earns in excess of $25,000 pm.. who is the failure?

A degree is just a piece of paper.
Last edited by limlim on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:54 am

limlim wrote:I guess I read the title differently..

In that case, apparently the graduate also epic fail in English writing. :laugh:

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rains » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:27 am

pirate wrote:
limlim wrote:I guess I read the title differently..

In that case, apparently the graduate also epic fail in English writing. :laugh:

The graduate didn't title it. This phrase is part of a sentence in one of her replies or posts on facebook. I think the fault lies with the thread starter who didn't copy and paste the complete sentence. The graduate said something like "They (ite graduates) are like failures comparing themselves to elites".

Actually the graduate did speak the candid truth just that she didn't package it beautifully to make it sound diplomatic or politically correct, but the post was on her facebook so there was probably no need to, except that people picked it up and make her a target to attack.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:53 am

rains wrote:...
Actually the graduate did speak the candid truth just that she didn't package it beautifully to make it sound diplomatic or politically correct, but the post was on her facebook so there was probably no need to, except that people picked it up and make her a target to attack.

I beg to differ. Would it be candid truth then to say that disabled or special needs kids are failures because they cannot achieve what normal people can do? Truth is defined by society. It is how we view the meaning of academic success within the context of the grander picture of success in life. This in turn translates to how we perceive others who may not excel in the same things as we do.

Consider this. A university professor was driving along a country road when his car broke down. He didn't know what to do. A passing garbage truck driver stopped by and helped him get his car running again after tinkering with the engine for a couple of moments. Who is the failure here?

Empathy is something that is sorely lacking in our younger generation today.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

1 people like this post

Postby rains » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:18 am

Did you read what she posted? What others pick out can be selective. If you read what she posted in totality, you would probably get a sense of her being exasperated of being compared to someone she deems inferior - and that's true where the academics are concerned.

No matter how we would like to believe, a degree is definitely superior than an ite cert, which is why this forum exists at all. It would not be fair to insert the physically or mentally disadvantaged children here since she is just comparing similar able-bodied human beings.

Of course, what an ite graduate can achieve later in life cannot be measured by how he does in school. A good example is my ite sister who marries better than I do - I definitely agree that an ite graduate is superior than a graduate in this case in point.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time