Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Which airline in the world come close to SIA?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Re: Which airline in the world come close to SIA?

Postby starlight1968sg » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:28 am

dolphinsiah wrote: Oh , BA16 is a 777 jet plane.
Yes, agree with you SQ is still the best...
Hope I can get to try the A380 one day....

If for next year trip to Europe I strike TOTO , I will take SQ on the A380... :wink:

I am dreaming.... :please:

Yes, you will :wink:

I think now economy class seats are all on lower deck of A380.
In the past, there used to be some economy class seats on upper deck and I took once to HK.
Trust me, once in the aircraft, I didnt feel any difference whether am on lower or upper deck.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:44 am

I like SQ, CX, EVA and Air France, friendly crew and aircraft well-maintained.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby yqyq » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:49 am

I prefer SQ and CX, dislike UA

yqyq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Namie » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:14 pm

Have flown on the following:

- SQ
- JAL
- ANA
- Korea Airlines
- Emirates
- KLM

I think if we talk about cabin ambience, service, I like JAL. It is very much on par. Last year before I check-in, I indicated I preferrred seafood meal. So, on board I was served seafood meal. During snack time, the stewardesses were giving out muffins and I just took it. Later, a stewardess came to me with a "subway" type sandwich and said they noticed that I preferred seafood meal so they actually prepared a salmon sandwhich for me! I didn't expect that. I mean a snack is a snack.

In terms of on board entertainment, Emirates is very close with its wide variety of shows.

Namie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby floppy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:48 am

starlight1968sg wrote:I think now economy class seats are all on lower deck of A380.
In the past, there used to be some economy class seats on upper deck and I took once to HK.
Trust me, once in the aircraft, I didnt feel any difference whether am on lower or upper deck.

SQ has 2 different configurations for their A380.
The older configuration has a mixed of business and economy class on the upper deck.
The newer configuration has all-business class on the upper deck. This A380 is usually used on routes frequent by business class passengers.

There are a number of differences in economy class between "upstairs" and "downstairs" - the most obvious being economy class on the upper deck has a 2-4-2 configuration while economy class on the main deck has a 3-4-3 configuration. That, alone, makes the upper deck a more appealing option.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the A380. In some of the not-so-efficient airports, the waiting time to collect my baggage is a pain.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby floppy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:07 am

GLORYmum wrote:Emirates.

Newer fleet, touch screen inflight entertainment, wider leg room, better connection through Dubai and slightly cheaper rates.

However, the food is lagging, less choice of Asian flavour.

Cheaper fares - yes.
Better connection? Depends on where you are going. To some of the smaller European cities, they can be considered an option. However, there's no way it's better than having a direct flight though.
Wider leg room - probably, if you are in their A380. If you end up in their B777, good luck. Their 3-4-3 configuration (vs SQ 3-3-3) makes me feel like being a part of packed sardines.
Also, having only 1/2 to 1/3 of the content in SIA's Krisworld makes it slightly unappealing to me.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby shinri » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:17 pm

dolphinsiah wrote:
According to Sktrax : the following are considered 5 stars airlines:

http://www.airlinequality.com/StarRanking/5star.htm

5-STAR AIRLINES
ANA All Nippon Airways
Asiana Airlines
Cathay Pacific
Hainan Airlines
Malaysia Airlines
Qatar Airways
Singapore Airlines

Malaysia Airlines is 5 star meh?
Took once before to East Malaysia, but I thought still below SQ.
Tried JAL but feel like their plane or seats like kinda old.

All this hype about SQ, I took once before, A380 to Japan.
Maybe it's just me, but once go inside the plane, feel like so-so only.
Tried to go up the stairs to 2nd level, but gallery was smack on top of the stairs, couldn't explore.

shinri
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby cherrygal » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:39 pm

Like SQ, Qantas, Cathay and Thai for the service quality and experience. Asiana is not bad too if flying to Korea. For Taiwan, prefer EVA over China Airlines. Foodwise, SQ and Cathay are nicer. Qantas has nice in-between snacks - Haagen Dazs / Magnum ice cream etc and nicer kiddie packs (Smiggles).

The kids prefer SQ's in-flight entertainment so they always request for SQ where possible.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiaaik » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:11 pm

for the A380, is it that there is a bar counter?

kiaaik
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby atrecord » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:52 am

Just took Qantas to Brisbane. So so, not near SQ. In-flight entertainment screen was small, just between the size of my Note 3 and the 7" tablets size... didn't require too much service, but given that the flight was at 8.30 pm, there was not even a napkin for passengers to freshen up after boarding.

So it wasn't that impressive.

Came back on Emirates. flight was 2.35 am! Airport was quite small, and empty. And as we reached the airport around 7 pm and had dinner there, the long wait proved to be really cold! The eateries were almost all shut by 10 pm but that's understandable i think, given the lack of human traffic.

When it was finally time to check-in, the Emirates staff who manned the counter were friendly and helpful. An hour or so later, the same batch of staff appeared at the boarding gate to see to boarding! Was not impressed there, though:

The staff used the PA to ask for a few families to board first. There was little movement for the next 10-15 min, and since it was only about 20-30 min before scheduled take-off time, a lot of the passengers were gathering near the start of the queue already. I have elderly parents and young kids with me and had always been ushered in first previously in other countries, but the staff there only gave priority to families with young kids. But the worst thing was that the staff called for the few families at least 4 more times on the PA system (with at 2-5 min intervals), and because they have not shown up, all the passengers were kept waiting (queuing and standing) at the entrance... This could have been better managed.

Once on board, i could feel that legroom was marginally roomier, although only just. The in-flight entertainment screen however was really impressive. It's like an iPad, much bigger than the ones on SQ 747 flights i'd been on. We were joking that the business class might get 15" monitor and maybe first class will get 21" TV... Fully touch-screen too.

And this time they served napkins. Food however, was not very impressive. Not sure whether it's because of the flight time, or is the same in general.

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Previous

Return to Recess Time

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres