Barn Owl visited Istana

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Barn Owl visited Istana

Postby concern2 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:00 pm

SINGAPORE - Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong shared on his Facebook page that he found a surprise visitor in his office yesterday morning.

A barn owl had flown into his office building at the Istana overnight and made its perch on a wall ledge high above.

According to PM Lee, they contacted the Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) and the Jurong Bird Park to ask for assistance.

The owl was later safely relocated somewhere behind Sri Temasek, another building within the Istana compound.

PM Lee also commented that "the Istana grounds are a green refuge for many species of birds and animals. We should preserve and create many such green spaces all over our island, so that in our urban environment we can enjoy the natural flora and fauna of Singapore."

(source:http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/prime-ministers-office-gets-surprise-visitor)

I used to see a barn owl when I passed by a certain spot at Punggol. It must have found a better living place - away from the suburbs which are fast taken over by high-rise flats. :razz:

It is a sign, PM, that we have little nature left around us. Every piece of green is being taken up to accommodate a denser population.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Barn Owl visited Istana

Postby sushi88 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:14 pm

Lesser owls, lesser wisdom.... :wink:

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Have seen one flying when SG was still quite ulu...looks very scary at night coz it's HUGE and at a glance, it looked 'ghostly'.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:33 pm

I wonder if there is a contingency plan if/when the dengue mosquitoes move over from the 313 Somerset area to the lush greenery of the Istana grounds.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:13 pm

pirate wrote:I wonder if there is a contingency plan if/when the dengue mosquitoes move over from the 313 Somerset area to the lush greenery of the Istana grounds.

Dragonflies are the natural predators of mosquito larvae. When breeding grounds of dragonflies are cleared for urbanisation, mosquitos have one less threat to worry about.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Nebbermind wrote:Have seen one flying when SG was still quite ulu...looks very scary at night coz it's HUGE and at a glance, it looked 'ghostly'.

It is! Especially because the head turns 180 degrees, one moment you see its eyes, the next moment you don't.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:18 pm

sushi88 wrote:Lesser owls, lesser wisdom.... :wink:

:laugh: It flew to where wisdom is needed most..

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tutormum » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:43 pm

When I was young, I used to see flights of bats over my house every evening. Was staying somewhere in Siglap then. :evil: :laugh:

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby insider » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:57 pm

"在西方,听说猫头鹰那种深不可测的眼神,被当作是智慧的象征,仿佛在它的眼睛中,可以看穿世上一切的神秘。

而在中国人的传说中,这种看了令人不寒而栗的眼神,就被当作是邪恶的象征,尤其在中国北方,被称为“夜猫子”的猫头鹰,简直就是一种凶兆,和吉祥全然无缘。" (randomly extracted from: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/106915833)

that's the difference in 'interpreting' Owl between the East and the West.

I first got the meaning of Chinese interpretation of Owl via the story 受伤的猫头鹰 by 毕飞宇 (about an owl flew into a village and caused a fright of disasters among villagers. Villages then wanted to hunt it down and in the course of hunting it, created a big disaster in the village.) Excellent short story that can be used as literature study.

My sis' new house will be decorated with many owls. I have to keep my mouth shut and let her interpret 猫头鹰 = 智慧的象征. Will only ask her to remove if things gone rough after she shifts in.

(anyone dreams of owl = disasters / death in terms of 解梦。)

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Aiyo.... 照 insider 这样讲......

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time