Edusave Merit Bursary - to apply or not to apply

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Edusave Merit Bursary - to apply or not to apply

Postby zyberk » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:51 am

Based on our DD's result, she should be eligible for the edusave merit bursary.

mummy wants to apply for it (if gets the application from MOE) but daddy says no need (even if eligible).

daddy's reason : let some other kid who needs it more than us(financially) to have it

mummy's reason : as a reward to the child (even tho goes to the edusave) for the effort put it, so that she can feel proud of her achievements and hopefully do well again

So, should we apply or not? if we don't, does the fund goes to the next best kid or will it just goes back to MOE? :?

zyberk
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby csc » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:10 am

Apply for Edusave Bursary????

I've never heard of this.

What i do know is, whether your child is eligible to receive it. To be eligible, your child needs to be in the top 25% of the cohort of the school he or she is in.

On top of that, the combined income of the parents must be less than $3000.

So even if the child qualifies for the bursary, he or she may not be eligible due to the parents' income level.

If the parents' income is way below $3000, just take the bursay la... good money to buy books and uniform, you know ,for those less financially -well-off.

For those who are not eligible, just keep the letter for the DSA portfolio. :lol:

Actually, the edusave scholarship is better lah - awarded to top 5 or 10% of school cohort regardless of income. ( for p5 and 6 students only)
Last edited by csc on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zyberk » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:47 am

yup agree

our DD is in P1.

mummy full-time housewife. daddy's salary just a little bit below the ceiling (i think now the ceiling is $4000 according to the newsletter by the school)

zyberk
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby watmekiasu » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:06 pm

Furthermore, even if you forego it, it doesn't automatically go to another student. MOE will offer it to the top 25%, doesn't make a difference how many cash it.

watmekiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tutormum » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:30 pm

Maximum income is $4000 to be eligible except for the top 5% and 10% which they call it the Edusave Scholarship that is awarded from P5 onwards. MOE will send you a letter if your child is eligible and you have to submit the form before the dateline. Not every child in the top 25% will get the award due to the income ceiling. If you are eligible, why not? If you don't take it, the Government will just keep it in the kitty. Bu Na Bai Bu Na. :lol: My aunt makes full use of the money for her DD's education since my uncle is struggling financially. I keep it in my 3 DS bank accounts as I try not to use it and the money will go towards their future education - very handy at the time when I know I may have problem financing it. :cry: DS3 has been receiving it since P2 and look forward to his reward and recognition every year (his dad didn't apply for him when he was in P1 and he is still upset about it). DS3 is definitely proud of his achievements esp when he has an unbroken record and this serves as a great motivation. I hope he'll continue when he goes to secondary school next year. :xedfingers: For DS1 and DS2, they did occasionally receive some of the awards and serve as a healthy comparison on their overall achievements :celebrate:

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:28 pm

As a student, I don't remember filling up any application, but I automatically got some Edusave award (it comes in a cheque).

As a teacher, I vaguely recall having to fill up such forms for students who have done well or shown improvement in their results. And we have to write a report to justify that the student's behaviour in school is good & deserve the award.

Not too sure if the student/parent need to apply or it's still automatic though.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tutormum » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:13 pm

For edusave merit award, the top 25% is eligible but must fill in form to declare income below $4000. For edusave scholarship award, top 5% will get certain amount which depends on different levels and next 5% will get lower amount. Secondary school students will get more than primary school students. Higher level gets more than lower level. A letter will be sent to you to collect the award if your child is eligible and no declaration is required. There is also a good progress award to encourage weaker students to work hard. It depends on the percentage increase in the student's results compared to previous performance and with other students' improved performance. :drool:

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby clover18 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:49 pm

Hi, so the edusave schlorship is awarded to the top5-10% of each shool's co-hort irrespective of parent's income level? Is this awarded at the end of P5, base on SA2 results? And this is awarded by the school or MOE? It will be a good motivation to the child as well :D

What abt the good progress award...also for P5 onwards?

clover18
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:22 pm

clover18 wrote:Hi, so the edusave schlorship is awarded to the top5-10% of each shool's co-hort irrespective of parent's income level? Is this awarded at the end of P5, base on SA2 results? And this is awarded by the school or MOE? It will be a good motivation to the child as well :D

What abt the good progress award...also for P5 onwards?

awarded by constituency, data supplied by MOE/school

there is a family income disqualification

Edusave Merit Bursary (EMB)

The Edusave Merit Bursary is meant for pupils whose household income is less than $4,000 a month.

If your child is studying in either a primary or secondary school, or in a JC/CI or ITE, and is not a recipient of any Edusave Scholarship stated above, he can apply for the Edusave Merit Bursary if he is within the top 25% of each level and stream in his school, and if your gross monthly household income is below $4,000.

The value of this award for each level is as follows:

$200 for Primary 1 to 3
$250 for Primary 4 to 6
$350 for Secondary 1 to 5
$400 for Junior Colleges/Centralised Institute (JCs/CI)
$500 for Institute of Technical Education (ITE)
MOE will send an application form for your child to apply for the Edusave Merit Bursary in November/December each year if he qualifies. The completed application form is to be submitted to the community centre in your constituency.
http://www.moe.gov.sg/initiatives/edusa ... s/#bursary

just fill in the form

scholarship has no income disqualification
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby clover18 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:10 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I reckon for dsa application, the edusave scholarship may carry some value. Is this awarded at end of p5, after SA2?

clover18
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time