School team- To quit or not?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

School team- To quit or not?

Postby cluelessmom » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:07 pm

Hi everyone,

Advice needed.... My DD is in the school badminton team.... She used to be very passionate about the sport and her former coaches in her old school feels that she has a lot of potential. In fact, she was the only P3 student that was selected for the school team. When she was selected for GEP last year, the coaches were very upset as they had invested a lot of time on her and hope that we will not transfer her to the new GEP school.... Alas, after much deliberation, we decided to give GEP a try...She was also selected for the school team in the new school after the try-outs but I guess there were too many good players in the new school team tat she was not given the same attention as before and was given a newbie/junior status... gradually she seem to have lost passion in the sport. Plus she was by nature outgoing and active and takes part in many school events such as talent searches and school performances... which clashes with her badminton practices. Coach now appears to be very displeased with her performance and hinted to her that with extra P5 GEP workload and her xtra eca, she might not be able to cope with the demands of school team, naturally she was very upset with the remarks ..... So should I encouraged her to give up and encouraged her to pursue other areas of interest (she really has many other areas of interest that she shines in) or should I encouraged her to work harder and engaged private coaches to train her knowing tat she has potential in tat area bt needs more efforts and training? If she can put in the xtra effort and well enough to be at a competitve level, it might be extra brownie points for her PSLE, or should I jus let her pursue other areas of interest??? :(

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby amylqf » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:02 pm

If the child has the talent in the sports, I will say you shouldn't let her stop half way, just because she didn't get enough attention from the coach or others.

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cluelessmom » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:23 pm

Tks amylqf, had a minor squabble wif hubby regarding the subject, think will jus let her continue till she was ask to quit :roll: ....

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mckenzy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:23 am

i think staying on the team is detrimental. it is only a matter of time correct?
P5 is important year.

no matter what, should get her to pursue badminton. if the school does not want her, enroll her somewhere else, just don't let her give up.

mckenzy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Recess Time