Hdb upgrading

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Hdb upgrading

Postby Imami » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:04 pm

My parents' place will be under going upgrading soon - for both home improvement And lift upgrading.

Any tips to share?

Should I get a powerful vacuum cleaner for them? Or the normal one will do? Or vacuum cleaner also no use? :laugh:

Should I get an air purifier? I heard it would be very dusty, need to wear n95 my friend said.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Hdb upgrading

Postby zeedoo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:22 am

My place just underwent both. It was very very dusty and noisy, especially the HIP

Best to get your parents to move out and stay at a relative's place for the 10-day HIP duration. It's not just the noise and dust, but also it is a hazard for old folks to move around the place. My elderly neighbour intended to stay in her home but on the first day she tripped over the mat that the workers haphazardly placed on the floor. Thereafter she stayed in her grandchildren's place

Protect the furniture well by covering them with the big plastic sheets that can be bought from paint shops. I even blocked the doors to the 2 rooms that were not used as well as the entrance to the living hall, with these plastic sheets. That would minimize the cleaning work later on

Afterwards, best to leave the cleaning to the experts. We engaged a cleaning company who sent 2 cleaners spending 5 hours cleaning the kitchen, bathrooms and master bedroom. My neighbour engaged one freelance cleaning lady who spent 5 hours each day on 2 days cleaning. So, 10 man-hours is about what is needed

Good luck!

zeedoo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Imami » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:19 pm

Hi zeedoo!

Hey thanks for your post!

They don't want to shift out temporary. What I have offered them is to help them with their laundry - I would collect from their place, launder them at my place and then bring the fresh laundry back to their home.

Do the workers start with one toilet and then move to another or are both toilets done simultaneously?

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:21 pm

Is there totally no water supply at all? Can't do laundry, can't wash cups etc?

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummy OnABudget » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:25 pm

Got water but really not good to stay very dusty both toilets together that time qw bath void deck lol

mummy OnABudget
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby zeedoo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:05 am

Imami wrote:Do the workers start with one toilet and then move to another or are both toilets done simultaneously?

By default it's both toilets done simultaneously. But I know there are people who request for them to be done separately, to allow use of at least one toilet at all times

zeedoo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zeedoo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:14 am

Imami wrote:Is there totally no water supply at all? Can't do laundry, can't wash cups etc?

Both my toilets were done simultaneously, but there was still water at the kitchen tap. Didn't use that though, as there were lots of debris in the sink and we didn't want to risk choking the pipes as the water flowed

I wouldn't do my laundry in the unit as dust would get to the clothes. It's up to the individual I guess - my neighbour continued to hang their clothes at the balcony despite the dust!

zeedoo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Imami » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:25 pm

Zeedoo,

I can't get the picture.... Is it - although the upgrading work is in the toilet, it is dusty everywhere - kitchen, balcony and all?

I understand hdb contractors would also cover spalling concrete. Repair of spalling concrete is whole house (although most likely spalling concrete only happen in kitchen and toilet)?

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:27 pm

zeedoo wrote:Both my toilets were done simultaneously, but there was still water at the kitchen tap. Didn't use that though, as there were lots of debris in the sink and we didn't want to risk choking the pipes as the water flowed

and then how come got debris in the sink? Is it from the repair of spalling concrete? This sink is in the toilet or kitchen?

I don't think they will use the toilet sink but I think they would want to use the kitchen sink if possible.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zeedoo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:42 pm

Imami wrote:Zeedoo,

I can't get the picture.... Is it - although the upgrading work is in the toilet, it is dusty everywhere - kitchen, balcony and all?

I understand hdb contractors would also cover spalling concrete. Repair of spalling concrete is whole house (although most likely spalling concrete only happen in kitchen and toilet)?

Yes, dust dust everywhere. Not from the spalling concrete in other parts of the house, but from the hacking and drilling in the toilets alone

The dust don't just settle down in the toilets, they literally "spurt" out in all directions. That's why we even blocked the entrance to our living room and the doors to our other 2 bedrooms (since there are gaps round the frame and below). The plastic sheets will be your best ally, believe me!

zeedoo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time