Is this Singapore's 1st Gay Youtube Channel?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Is this Singapore's 1st Gay Youtube Channel?

Postby kevkevkaf » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:35 am

hi daddies and mummies, saw someone on facebook sharing videos from this YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/OCSingapore

it is a local yt channel that promotes and explains homosexuality and is targeted mainly at the young audience.

given how much my children watch youtube, i am slightly worried about what they are watching.

any suggestions to hopefully prevent them from viewing this channel? :sad:

kevkevkaf
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Is this Singapore's 1st Gay Youtube Channel?

Postby ryanryan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:04 am

The activists are taking their agenda to the net to corrupt our children minds

ryanryan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kevkevkaf » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:38 am

i am quite worried about this. it's so hard to know what my kids are watching too! :(

kevkevkaf
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby 3Boys » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:54 am

I think the only thing we can do is to raise awareness and be sure that our children are constantly in touch with us as parents for our views and values. It's just too difficult to cut off channels of alternative views, you filter one out, 10 more will appear, and they are just getting more aggressive these days. Talk to your kids and keep them grounded with your values, if they don't hear your views, then they may take on someone else's.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kevkevkaf » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:01 am

3Boys wrote:I think the only thing we can do is to raise awareness and be sure that our children are constantly in touch with us as parents for our views and values. It's just too difficult to cut off channels of alternative views, you filter one out, 10 more will appear, and they are just getting more aggressive these days. Talk to your kids and keep them grounded with your values, if they don't hear your views, then they may take on someone else's.

thanks! i had this dilemma, didn't want to appear like I am some controlling parent who refuse to give them some amount of freedom.

will try my best to balance the 2

kevkevkaf
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sushi88 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:49 pm

3Boys wrote:I think the only thing we can do is to raise awareness and be sure that our children are constantly in touch with us as parents for our views and values. It's just too difficult to cut off channels of alternative views, you filter one out, 10 more will appear, and they are just getting more aggressive these days. Talk to your kids and keep them grounded with your values, if they don't hear your views, then they may take on someone else's.

Yup, there is no other way. Internet stuff are coming out faster than what the authorities can do. So the addiction to internet communication has to be channeled back to family communication.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby h3ngh3ngl4h » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:38 am

agreed, family communication is key, always keep the lines open.

h3ngh3ngl4h
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tutate.com » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Family communication is definitely the best way to go about and ensure your children are protected from negative influences like these.

Alternatively, YouTube has just released an app specifically for kids. They carefully curate the content providers, and they have things like time locks, and the best part, there are NO ADS!

Go check it out on your respective app stores.

If you're on an iOS device and try downloading it, you'll most probably not be able to find it because it is restricted to the United States only. BUT, there are ways to work around it. We've prepared a simple tutorial to help parents with the download. You can check it out here:

http://blog.tutate.com/download-youtube-kids-singapore/

Hope that helps!

tutate.com
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:16 pm

kevkevkaf wrote:

thanks! i had this dilemma, didn't want to appear like I am some controlling parent who refuse to give them some amount of freedom.

will try my best to balance the 2

How old are your kids? I agree with 3Boys, especially if your kids are already teenagers. If they are younger, I would simply control their access to the internet more strictly, make sure they access it in a high-traffic area in the house (not in their bedroom), ask them periodically what they watch (for conversation, not as an inquisition), and sneak peeks over their shoulders as you walk by. Hopefully, with open channels of discussion, by the time they are older and on the internet much more and without much supervision, they will be grounded in the values of their parents.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:56 pm

Just look up the history in the browser. It should tell you what they're watching.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time