SESAME STREET - who is your favourite characters ?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

SESAME STREET - who is your favourite characters ?

Postby daisyt » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:53 am

Sesame Street celebrates 40 years

WASHINGTON - The legendary educational puppet program "Sesame Street," home of Big Bird and Elmo, celebrated its 40th anniversary Tuesday as the longest running children's show on US television.

The famously playful puppets, who taught generations of children the basics of reading, writing and counting, first appeared on public television in November 1969, and celebrated their birthday with a guest appearance from First Lady Michelle Obama.

To mark the occasion, Obama explained to young viewers how to cultivate a home garden, including tips on growing tomatoes, cucumbers and carrots.

Many of the characters, which also included Bert and Ernie and the Cookie Monster sprung from the creative well that was Jim Henson, father of the equally legendary "Muppet Show."

Aimed at children aged two to six, the series has earned 122 Emmy awards, the small screen equivalent of the Oscars.

The street has also become an international phenomena for children's television, running all the way through 140 countries around the world.

On the show, which broadcaster PBS says is where children can "use their imaginations, build social skills, and respect people's differences," audiences have reveled in the antics of a fictional New York street where "multiethnic, multigenerational, and even multispecies residents coexist in harmony."

This year's season, said the Public Broadcasting Service, focuses on a new nature-focused curriculum aimed at fostering "a love and understanding of the natural world."

Co-founder Joan Ganz Cooney said she was inspired to create the show for communities that could not prepare youngsters for the education system.

"Our original goal was simple: to create a successful television program that would make a difference in the lives of children, in particular, poor inner-city children, and help prepare them for school," she said in a statement on PBS. - AFP/sh

I always and still love Sesame Street since young. My favourite characters are Bert and Ernie because I simply love to watch them quarrel. :D I always imagine in myself, how to get to sesame street.

As for my dd, she likes elmo. :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: SESAME STREET - who is your favourite characters ?

Postby buds » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:00 pm

daisyt wrote:I always and still love Sesame Street since young. My favourite characters are Bert and Ernie because I simply love to watch them quarrel. :D I always imagine in myself, how to get to sesame street.

As for my dd, she likes elmo. :D

Me too! :wink:

I mean like Bert and Ernie's quarreling.. :lol:
And i also wondered there was truly such a street.. :siao: :lol:

I like Count Dracula and always anticipate his counting sessions.
I try to guess what was the number of the day, like play 4D lidat! :lol:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mum_2Gals » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:08 pm

I like Cookie Monster! munch, munch :D
My dds love Elmo too :love:

Mum_2Gals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby csc » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:19 pm

Big Bird is my fav.

I love Sesame Street - and am humming the song now...

Alas, my kids do not have the same interest... they don't really watch it when they're young - theirs is the era of Barney, teletubbies, little Bear etc

Recently I was amazed that my girl was humming a song that was from my era ...."Nothing's gonna change my love for you..." .lol . She was equally amazed that I knew how to sing it too. Looks like I'm going to introduce my world of Carpenters, ABBA , Beatles etc to her soon....

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:57 pm

I like Cookie Monster cos of his googly eyes. I think sashimi likes him too cos of the way he eats his cookies. I think sashimi tried to eat his cookies that way too, once, when he was a kid. Of course, he made a big mess. :lol: DD likes Elmo and Dorothy. My sis, DD and I all love Grover, especially Super Grover. :rotflmao:

I also love the 2-headed monster and the 2 aliens who go, "Yip, Yip" all the time. :rotflmao:

(DD, sashimi and I love the Swedish Chef too. We know he's from The Muppet Show but does he make appearances at Sesame Street too?)

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby skunk » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:01 pm

she had some "guest appearances" on Sesame Street...counted?

skunk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby KopiYing » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:54 pm

I like Oscar....but I'm not dirty ok!!!

KopiYing
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby daisyt » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:56 pm

KopiYing wrote:I like Oscar....but I'm not dirty ok!!!

So, do you like trashes ? :D :lol:

"Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame street ?"

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KopiYing » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:59 pm

Trashes? Maybe it's all my clothings in the wardrobe! And I have the tendency to keep nice paper bags or plastic bags. :oops:

KopiYing
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby daisyt » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:59 pm

csc wrote:Alas, my kids do not have the same interest... they don't really watch it when they're young - theirs is the era of Barney, teletubbies, little Bear etc

Barney - I love you, You love me, We are happy family ! :D

Teletubbies - recently was talking with my girl, she told me, the one who carries a bag, is a GAY ! Because he carries a bag and he has a gay sign on top of his head. :shock: :!:

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time