MPVs

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

MPVs

Postby Funz » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:48 pm

Thinking of changing my car. Looking possibly at an MPV.

Test drove the Touran and I like the feel of it. But I am hesitant to pay that much for a 1.4L car. Saw the Sharan and really like the luxurious look. Did not test drive that as the price was out of my range.

Saw the Mazda 5 and 8 as well. I liked the shape for the Mazda 8 but after seeing the sitting configuration I am put off. The Mazda 5 when sitting at full capacity had literally no boot space.

Then we popped by to look at the Odyssey. I used to drive and Odyssey before my current car. I love the Odyssey, only complain is no sliding door. And Odyssey doors are big. I was ecstatic to hear that they have a new model with sliding doors coming in. But again happiness was dampened when the saleslady told us that the new Odyssey is higher and bigger, like the Alphard which I absolutely hate. The new model is not available for viewing or test drive yet. It will be priced at $186K+.

What other MPVs would you recommend? I am looking for one that is not too big, preferably with sliding doors.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Re: MPVs

Postby icy_mama » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:22 pm

i don't drive an MPV, but i've seen parents in my lil piggy's school driving the estima. i thought it looked spacious and with sliding door.

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:31 pm

icy_mama wrote:i don't drive an MPV, but i've seen parents in my lil piggy's school driving the estima. i thought it looked spacious and with sliding door.

We are driving the estima. Yes sliding door and it's really spacious (can accomodate up to 8 pax). Used to be driving the odyssey. But I think estima is comparative bigger than the Mazda, odyssey and Volkswagan.

Maybe you can consider extending your considerations to those parallel importers. They do carry other MPVs as well. I think we've a relative driving Toyota Sienna. It's a smaller MPV. Previously, we also saw parallel importers carrying Honda stepwagon, etc...

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby bebebub » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:05 pm

Peugeot 5008. Not sliding door

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:34 am

had a Toyota wish 2 litre...bought it at $99K 3 years ago.

let go after 1 year because petrol consumption was high...sending kids to school/tuition. it was very comfortable and kids loved the space....but maintenance is high.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:14 am

Funz wrote:
Then we popped by to look at the Odyssey. I used to drive and Odyssey before my current car. I love the Odyssey, only complain is no sliding door. And Odyssey doors are big. I was ecstatic to hear that they have a new model with sliding doors coming in. But again happiness was dampened when the saleslady told us that the new Odyssey is higher and bigger, like the Alphard which I absolutely hate. The new model is not available for viewing or test drive yet. It will be priced at $186K+.

What other MPVs would you recommend? I am looking for one that is not too big, preferably with sliding doors.

I am looking at the 2014 Odyssey too. Although it seems to ride higher than the present model, I don't think its anywhere near as massive as the Alphard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTptOwv9rlU

Car shopping is Fun!z.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:18 am

I thought most 'private' school bus are estimas!

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:13 am

I drove the Previa/Estima before and yes I find it bigger than what I am looking for. Looking more for a low profile MPV so that it will be easier for the old folks to get in and out of the car.

Have not seen the Sienna, tried to google to see which parallel importers carry this model but so far none.

BIL is driving the Stepwagon. Don't like the look of that one.

I prefer to buy from authorised distributors rather than parallel importers. I may be wrong but I feel that it is more convenient especially for after sales matters.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Funz » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:24 am

3Boys wrote:
Funz wrote:

I am looking at the 2014 Odyssey too. Although it seems to ride higher than the present model, I don't think its anywhere near as massive as the Alphard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTptOwv9rlU

Car shopping is Fun!z.

I guess as much since the sales lady said that it is about 20cm higher. I asked if it is still low profile and the extra height is mainly headroom she said yah.

The car will be available for test drive come end Jan and 1st shipment most probably Mar/April timeframe.

By the way, I think this parallel importer has a unit now if you want to have a look.
http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newca ... Code=11444

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MMM » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:28 am

Funz wrote:I drove the Previa/Estima before and yes I find it bigger than what I am looking for. Looking more for a low profile MPV so that it will be easier for the old folks to get in and out of the car.

Have not seen the Sienna, tried to google to see which parallel importers carry this model but so far none.

BIL is driving the Stepwagon. Don't like the look of that one.

I prefer to buy from authorised distributors rather than parallel importers. I may be wrong but I feel that it is more convenient especially for after sales matters.

The Sienna we saw is a few years old. So probably not the new range.

We used to have the same reservation about parallel importers as we've been going to authorised distributors all these years. But our latest experience with the parallel importer was good. It has been 2 years and they have been providing free concierge service for car pick up and drop off during servicing. We got the estima rather than previa as the car booth space is much better (without the spare tyre). We are very much into space due to family size... Can you imagine we even went to see the Ssangyong MPV....

Enjoy the shopping experience.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time