Questions about proofreading services

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Questions about proofreading services

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:08 pm

Moderators: I really don't know where to post this, so please move this if you think it belongs elsewhere.

I would like to know if anyone has made use of proofreading services in Singapore for checking academic theses, essays, journal submissions etc? Where are these services advertised? Do the local universities have a website for advertising such services?
What are their rates? Just a rough idea or range would be helpful.

Thanks!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Questions about proofreading services

Postby atrecord » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:24 pm

slmkhoo wrote:Moderators: I really don't know where to post this, so please move this if you think it belongs elsewhere.

I would like to know if anyone has made use of proofreading services in Singapore for checking academic theses, essays, journal submissions etc? Where are these services advertised? Do the local universities have a website for advertising such services?

Thanks!

Do you mean proofreading or copyediting? Pure proofreading means there is one set of correct materials, compare it with another set that is supposed to look exactly like the former.

If it's just checking one set to see if there is any typos/sentence structure or grammar/punctuation errors, etc., then it is copyediting and not proofreading.

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:49 pm

atrecord wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:Moderators: I really don't know where to post this, so please move this if you think it belongs elsewhere.

Thanks!

Do you mean proofreading or copyediting? Pure proofreading means there is one set of correct materials, compare it with another set that is supposed to look exactly like the former.

If it's just checking one set to see if there is any typos/sentence structure or grammar/punctuation errors, etc., then it is copyediting and not proofreading.

I guess I mean copyediting rather than pure proofreading. Any info you can share?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:39 pm

i suppose in the academic context, it'd be "proofreading" rather than "copyediting" which is more extensive and qualitative.

A proofreader helps a peer to proofread his/her theses to ensure grammatical consistency; check pg #, citation #, references/bibliography, diagram # correspond to footnote or body text; font size/type consistency, extra spaces, naming conventions, etc. They can't alter the author's content much unless there are egregious syntactical errors that warrant the reconstruction of sentences.

They are usually a peer/alumnus from the uni, therefore I'd imagine the rates to be pretty nominal.

I'd also imagine they'd advertise on campus/hall bulletin boards, uni intranet, bus-stops, canteens, anywhere conspicuous. Most unis shd hv an English Comms Dept that help students whose native tongue isn't Eng (if that's the medium of instruction) to improve their writing. NUS does hv that sort of pro bono service for overseas students. http://www.nus.edu.sg/celc/writinghub/

Singaporeans undergrads won't need such service cos their command of Eng is pretty decent. If they need an extra pair of eyes to help proofread a 23,000-word thesis, it'll be past or present students from the English Lang faculty, seldom commercial agencies.

I dunno the student proofreading rates. They could be based on hour or no. of words or pages. There is such a thing called "friendship rates" too.

Commercial proofreading rates are not readily available cos in the first place they are seldom needed. Most Clients ARE proofreaders of copyedited proofs from professional publishing houses. Copyedit means to finetune the foreword/body text/taglines/chapter headings with more "marketing flair", peppered with some business jargon.

Commercial rates for copyediting+copywriting are usually lumped together. They are on the high side cos corporate publications contain more words and pages.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby atrecord » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:07 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
atrecord wrote:

Thanks!

I guess I mean copyediting rather than pure proofreading. Any info you can share?

Actually i'm not familiar with the rates, but as pointed out, i think these services are not in great demand in Singapore, and probably only the publishing houses use them. Again this is unlikely to be very frequent, since I think the publishing houses should have their own editors on staff to do such work, and only outsource occasionally? Besides, the publishing industry is not huge in Singapore, so that further reduces the demand, which will likely mean supply is also not going to be extensive.

But maybe if you google freelance editing or copyediting, you might be able to find something. You might find more who are based overseas than in Singapore too.

Can also try to google 'editing services' or 'editorial services'.

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:01 pm

are you looking to engage the services or provide the services?

I have done both full time and freelance copyediting for academic journals, books and newsprint. The publishers generally have their own pool of reliable copyeditors to tap on and (to me) the rates are not great and only worthwhile if one is a fast worker. If you are looking for a copyeditor, you should specify what you want and how you want it. Publishers will provide their set of rules for the copyeditors. The requirement for academic writing is more specific and one thing to really watch out for is the referencing and endnotes. Again there are different formats and it is up to you to pick one and to stick to it.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:36 am

ammonite wrote:are you looking to engage the services or provide the services?

I have done both full time and freelance copyediting for academic journals, books and newsprint. The publishers generally have their own pool of reliable copyeditors to tap on and (to me) the rates are not great and only worthwhile if one is a fast worker. If you are looking for a copyeditor, you should specify what you want and how you want it. Publishers will provide their set of rules for the copyeditors. The requirement for academic writing is more specific and one thing to really watch out for is the referencing and endnotes. Again there are different formats and it is up to you to pick one and to stick to it.

I am interested in providing such services so I can freelance and work from home (ideally). I've done a little such work, mostly pro bono, while I was living overseas. However, I notice that it is hard to get info about rates unless I actually submit something and get a quote! And I don't actually have much idea how to break into the market to get started. I am fairly sure there should be such work available, but I would like to know what the going rates are. I have pretty high academic credentials and I work fast. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:58 pm

I am sorry I do not know what the current rates are. There is slight variation from publisher to publisher. This is the case for writers too. Different publications pay differently depending on their market and circulation. Books pay more than journals though i cannot remember if it was simply due to the length (eg 500+ pages) or a different rate. As long as it is an established publisher that you can be sure will pay you on time (!), I won't quibble too much over the rates. It is a buyer's market after all.

(Why not consider getting a cert for special education and working in that field? Just a suggestion. :) )

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:28 pm

ammonite wrote:I am sorry I do not know what the current rates are. There is slight variation from publisher to publisher. This is the case for writers too. Different publications pay differently depending on their market and circulation. Books pay more than journals though i cannot remember if it was simply due to the length (eg 500+ pages) or a different rate. As long as it is an established publisher that you can be sure will pay you on time (!), I won't quibble too much over the rates. It is a buyer's market after all.

(Why not consider getting a cert for special education and working in that field? Just a suggestion. :) )

Thanks. As for your suggestion - no, I don't have the patience to be a SN teacher. I don't even have the patience to give tuition. My kids, who are used to me after all these years, tell me earnestly that other kids will be traumatised by me!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:03 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
ammonite wrote:I am sorry I do not know what the current rates are. There is slight variation from publisher to publisher. This is the case for writers too. Different publications pay differently depending on their market and circulation. Books pay more than journals though i cannot remember if it was simply due to the length (eg 500+ pages) or a different rate. As long as it is an established publisher that you can be sure will pay you on time (!), I won't quibble too much over the rates. It is a buyer's market after all.

Thanks. As for your suggestion - no, I don't have the patience to be a SN teacher. I don't even have the patience to give tuition. My kids, who are used to me after all these years, tell me earnestly that other kids will be traumatised by me!

:lol: I really cannot tell over the forum. In my mind's eye, you are calm and patient, like my ds' piano teacher. :)

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time