Smoker Neighbour

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Smoker Neighbour

Postby inotks » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:37 am

My new next-door neighbour likes to smoke with his front door and windows wide open. I used to leave my front door and windows wide open as well because my family enjoys the breeze. Now, We keep the front door closed at all time and only a small gap at the windows. However, the smoke still invades my house. :mad:

I made a request (as nice as I could) twice for him to close the door whenever he smoked but he could not care less. :mad: Why would he care? He does not even care about the ill effects of the second hand smoke to his own family members!

I have been searching for solutions on the internet but there seem to have no good ones.

Some people complained to town council, HDB, MP etc - no use as it is not illegal to smoke in the house.

One sprays water and the other sprays insecticide towards the source of the smoke whenever the neighbour smokes. One drops marble after midnight as a revenge. But I am not ready to declare a war yet. :cry:

There is no air-conditioner in my house and my children have been complaining of the smell. And I am well aware of the ill effects of the smoke to my family.

I was thinking of installing smoke detector at the front door and windows but there is no such sensitive one in the market. If anyone knows, please let me know.

What else can I do? :?: :imdrowning:

inotks
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Smoker Neighbour

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:45 am

inotks wrote:... Some people complained to town council, HDB, MP etc - no use as it is not illegal to smoke in the house.

One sprays water and the other sprays insecticide towards the source of the smoke whenever the neighbour smokes. One drops marble after midnight as a revenge. But I am not ready to declare a war yet. :cry:

Since he seems to be oblivious to any complaints, maybe you can just put a standing fan at your door and turn it on whenever he smokes to blow it back to him? Or put a boom box at the door, put on the noisiest music at full volume and turn it off only when he smokes out?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby pirate » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:47 am

Put all the HEPA air filters/purifiers (which you will need to equip your home for when the haze comes back anyway) at your front door and windows?

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:51 am

neighbour's son upstairs puffs like a chimney...my daughter will never fail to squeeze her nose and complain. best part is his mother dusts the floor rug and dust flies downwards. :rant:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby UncleLim » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:33 pm

Not much one can do about that. But do take care of your family's air quality by shutting your door and windows completely. Use a standing fan to circulate fresh air from the kitchen windows perhaps ?

I have to deal with this from a day to day basis and I tend to get migraine from inhaling cigarette smoke. :shrug:

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Trapwithin » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:44 pm

I have a special arrangement with my neighbour that he can smoke with open door and window at a specific time. During those time, we close the windows and door. So we take turns ... for him to smoke with open window and for us to air our place.

We do have a nice neighbour just that he smokes a lot.

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:38 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote: Since he seems to be oblivious to any complaints, maybe you can just put a standing fan at your door and turn it on whenever he smokes to blow it back to him? Or put a boom box at the door, put on the noisiest music at full volume and turn it off only when he smokes out?

Hey!I was also thinking of the same thing...get one of those powderful and noisy air circulator, point it towards him and switch it on whenever the smoke comes in.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mommylow » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:24 pm

I can understand how you feel, inotks.

My neighbours staying next door, downstairs and opposite my unit smoke. They either stand at their kitchen or bedroom windows, corridor or just at their gates to smoke everyday and at specific times too. The Neighbour downstairs likes to puff at 11pm sharp at his kitchen window and the smoke travels up to my unit. I have to close the windows quickly or I do it a few minutes before 11pm every night. At one time, I was so peeved that I sprayed insecticide downwards at his unit window while he was puffing away. No use talking to these people as they cannot even help themselves or their loved ones, let alone others.

It is truly frustrating and stressful to live with neighbours who smoke, not forgetting the health risk we are subjected to. The cigarette smoke lingers in the house for a good 5-10 mins and makes us heady and nauseated.

I have come up with solutions by closing the door and windows once smoke is detected and then spraying the house with a water-spray mixture of lavender, orange, lime and peppermint essential oils which I mixed myself. The heavenly and refreshing scent does rid the air of the abhorring stench of tabacco smoke. It has been a great relief ever since I use spray mist filled with essential oil.

mommylow
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sembgal » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:36 pm

I used Dettol spray whenever my downstairs neighbour smoke. Filipino neighbours, who smoke and smoke. My predicament almost same like all of you here. Initially used insecticide, but the smell is bad, so switched to Dettol disinfectant spray.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sembgal » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:40 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:neighbour's son upstairs puffs like a chimney...my daughter will never fail to squeeze her nose and complain. best part is his mother dusts the floor rug and dust flies downwards. :rant:

:rotflmao: I should try your method of dusting floor rug and let the dust fly downstairs since my downstairs neighbour smokes and treat my place upstairs as his chimney. :mad:

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time