chinese custom

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

chinese custom

Postby Yen715 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:55 pm

Can I attend wedding if my paternal grandmother just passed away last month? Need advise as I in doubt if will "clash" according to some chinese traditional customs. Some said can cos I'm already married off.

Yen715
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby aspring » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:03 pm

Sorry i dunno whether will it clash or not. But i think it better to check with the wedding couple do they mind or not cos some pple very "pang tan" one, even pple say it ok they will still mind.

aspring
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: chinese custom

Postby jedamum » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:21 pm

Yen715 wrote:Can I attend wedding if my paternal grandmother just passed away last month? Need advise as I in doubt if will "clash" according to some chinese traditional customs. Some said can cos I'm already married off.

parden my poor english; but paternal grandmother means your dad's mum is it? if yes and if you are a dad, by right you cannot attend any major celebrations. if you are a mum, it is ok cos already married off. that is on your part.
the other part is to ask the wedding couple.
jmho.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Yen715 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:41 am

Thks aspring and jedamum for your reply. I'm a mum(married) so I can attend cos the wedding couple(my cousin) doesn't mind. more at ease now. :D

Yen715
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Little M » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:19 pm

That time, about 2 weeks after I gave birth to my boy. My MIL's BIL passed away. My MIL couldn't attend his funeral, because she feels it wasn't right to go to something "sad" (the funeral) when something "happy" (the birth of a bb) just happened.

Little M
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby schellen » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:18 am

It's not just when the events are one "happy" and one "sad"; it also applies to 2 "sad" events, according to my elders. My paternal great-grandmother passed away some years ago. Within a month or so, sashimi's grandmother passed away but I was told by my parents that I could not attend as it was considered "pang tang" to both parties.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time