Thousands of Hong Kong domestic helpers rally for "tortured"

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Thousands of Hong Kong domestic helpers rally for "tortured"

Postby mistral77 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:51 am

Thousands of Hong Kong domestic helpers rally for "tortured" maid
POSTED: 19 Jan 2014 19:30

Thousands of domestic helpers took to the streets of Hong Kong Sunday to demand justice for an Indonesian maid allegedly tortured by her employers, the second such rally in a week.

HONG KONG: Thousands of domestic helpers took to the streets of Hong Kong Sunday to demand justice for an Indonesian maid allegedly tortured by her employers, the second such rally in a week.

Erwiana Sulistyaningsih, 22, was reportedly left unable to walk following eight months of abuse in the southern Chinese city and was admitted to an Indonesian hospital in critical condition last week after returning home.

Protesters including maids, rights activists and migrant group members marched through the commercial area of Wanchai, many brandishing the Indonesian national flag and chanting slogans including "Justice for Erwiana".

They handed a petition to Hong Kong Police Commissioner Tsang Wai-hun urging faster progress in the case before marching to the city's government headquarters.

"We want the investigation to speed up and we demand the Hong Kong government to stop abuses on domestic helpers in Hong Kong," Eni Lestari, chairwoman of the International Migrants Alliance and rally spokeswoman, told reporters at the protest.

The allegations have renewed concern about the treatment of domestic helpers in the former British colony following a spate of similar abuse cases and recent criticism by rights groups.

Hong Kong police had at first categorised the alleged torture as a miscellaneous case but last week launched a criminal investigation after an outcry by domestic helpers in the city.

On Friday authorities said investigators will travel to Indonesia to speak to Sulistyaningsih, who remains in hospital in Sragen on the main island of Java.

"Without this kind of protest the case of Erwiana will never go to the public or go to the court. There will be no justice," Lestari said, adding that two other maids have since come forward alleging abuse at the hands of the same employer.

The agency that employed Erwiana has said they were unaware of her injuries until they were notified by their corresponding agency in Indonesia.

Organisers claimed around 5,000 people participated in the rally, a sharp increase in numbers from a similar march on Thursday which drew several dozen protesters.

Hong Kong police were not immediately available for comment on Sunday.

The semi-autonomous Chinese city is home to nearly 300,000 maids from mainly Southeast Asian countries -- predominantly Indonesia and the Philippines -- and criticism from rights groups over their treatment is growing.

A Hong Kong couple were jailed in September for attacks on their Indonesian domestic helper, which included burning her with an iron and beatings with a bike chain.

Amnesty International in November condemned the "slavery-like" conditions faced by thousands of Indonesian women who work in the Asian financial hub as domestic staff and accused authorities of "inexcusable" inaction.

It found that Indonesians were exploited by recruitment and placement agencies who seize their documents and charge them excessive fees, with false promises of high salaries and good working conditions.

Domestic helpers in Hong Kong are paid about HK$4,000 ($515) a month.

- AFP/xq

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asi ... 59768.html

mistral77
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:33 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Thousands of Hong Kong domestic helpers rally for "tortu

Postby pirate » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:42 am

HK Airport is humongous. Anything in any of the news about how she got to the plane? :scratchhead:

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3926
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:09 pm
Total Likes: 163


Re: Thousands of Hong Kong domestic helpers rally for "tortu

Postby jetsetter » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:01 pm

pirate wrote:HK Airport is humongous. Anything in any of the news about how she got to the plane? :scratchhead:



Airport got buggy/wheelchairs what... besides, she had International Migrants Alliance staff to help her get out of HK right? they even found her a lawyer now.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 13156
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:04 pm
Total Likes: 216


Re: Thousands of Hong Kong domestic helpers rally for "tortu

Postby pirate » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:17 pm

jetsetter wrote:
pirate wrote:HK Airport is humongous. Anything in any of the news about how she got to the plane? :scratchhead:



Airport got buggy/wheelchairs what... besides, she had International Migrants Alliance staff to help her get out of HK right? they even found her a lawyer now.

First part: then will have corroborating evidence from airport staff and security camera footage lah.

Second part: unlikely. Those NGOs in HK even more vocal than in Singapore. They would have done all those things, including lodging a police report, while she was still in HK.

So, I am keeping an open mind until that part of the story comes out. There is more than meets the eye.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3926
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:09 pm
Total Likes: 163


Re: Thousands of Hong Kong domestic helpers rally for "tortu

Postby jetsetter » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:35 pm

1) Guardian UK noted that "Sulistyaningsih needed a friend to help her at the airport because she couldn't walk properly, said Sringatin..."

SCMP did note that a HK lawyer found it odd that airport immigration officers didn't ask why she was so emanciated and bruised...

My burning qn would be who issued her a new / temp passport to get out? Indo consulate in HK? If so, how come never report to police at that pt?

2) media reported that her employer threatened to kill her or something...if NGOs knew the imminent danger, they'd hv helped her escape first, then blow whistle from indon.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 13156
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:04 pm
Total Likes: 216



Re: Thousands of Hong Kong domestic helpers rally for "tortu

Postby pirate » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:57 pm

jetsetter wrote:1) Guardian UK noted that "Sulistyaningsih needed a friend to help her at the airport because she couldn't walk properly, said Sringatin..."

SCMP did note that a HK lawyer found it odd that airport immigration officers didn't ask why she was so emanciated and bruised...

My burning qn would be who issued her a new / temp passport to get out? Indo consulate in HK? If so, how come never report to police at that pt?

2) media reported that her employer threatened to kill her or something...if NGOs knew the imminent danger, they'd hv helped her escape first, then blow whistle from indon.

1) Not just immigration officers, but also security officers and the officers at the boarding gate. Now must investigate the whole lot.

2) Wah! This one like triad movies. I don't think the NGOs in HK are so easily cowed unless the employers are members of the triad. This is HK, not... better not name countries, otherwise may be deemed offensive.

There sure are a lot of things for the HK police to investigate.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3926
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:09 pm
Total Likes: 163


Re: Thousands of Hong Kong domestic helpers rally for "tortu

Postby 3Boys » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:27 pm

pirate wrote:
jetsetter wrote:1) Guardian UK noted that "Sulistyaningsih needed a friend to help her at the airport because she couldn't walk properly, said Sringatin..."

SCMP did note that a HK lawyer found it odd that airport immigration officers didn't ask why she was so emanciated and bruised...

My burning qn would be who issued her a new / temp passport to get out? Indo consulate in HK? If so, how come never report to police at that pt?

2) media reported that her employer threatened to kill her or something...if NGOs knew the imminent danger, they'd hv helped her escape first, then blow whistle from indon.

1) Not just immigration officers, but also security officers and the officers at the boarding gate. Now must investigate the whole lot.

2) Wah! This one like triad movies. I don't think the NGOs in HK are so easily cowed unless the employers are members of the triad. This is HK, not... better not name countries, otherwise may be deemed offensive.

There sure are a lot of things for the HK police to investigate.


So, maid abuse not possible in Hong Kong?

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5014
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:28 pm
Total Likes: 220


Re: Thousands of Hong Kong domestic helpers rally for "tortu

Postby jetsetter » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:08 pm

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/arti ... octors-say

more revelations: it was her employer who sent her up that homebound plane without informing the agent! She confided in another indonesian onboard how she sustained those injuries...

23岁印尼女佣Erwiana Sulistyaningsih,去年5月中首度到香港工作,受雇于将军澳一户罗姓家庭。雇主涉嫌在没有通知雇佣公司下,安排她到机场返回印度尼西亚。Erwiana身上满布瘀伤及烫伤,她上机后向同乡报称工作8个月内屡遭雇主用衣架、木棍殴打,更用滚水烫身,睡眠及进食严重不足。中介公司后向警方报案,此事引起了各方关注。http://roll.sohu.com/20140119/n393760628.shtml

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 13156
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:04 pm
Total Likes: 216


Re: Thousands of Hong Kong domestic helpers rally for "tortu

Postby pirate » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:42 pm

3Boys wrote:So, maid abuse not possible in Hong Kong?

Possible. But not for her to get on the plane without gross dereliction of duty or even collaboration on the part of the airport staff. It's an airport, not a bus terminal. That's why a lot of things to investigate.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3926
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:09 pm
Total Likes: 163


Re: Thousands of Hong Kong domestic helpers rally for "tortu

Postby 路人甲 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:50 pm

No one noticed the maid and her injuries at the airport.

But her employer sure got plenty of qttention at the airport.

The employer was arrested by police this afternoon when she tried to leqve hong kong for bangkok.

路人甲
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:59 pm
Total Likes: 1


Next

Return to Recess Time